Atlantis Arisen
October 05, 2022, 06:02:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Lost Season Finale

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Season Finale  (Read 169 times)
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:12:12 pm »

Wow         May 24th, 2010 11:44 am ET

If the ending was so GREAT...and everything was explained...then why are most of you people INTERPRETING the meaning and ending?
IT SUCKED PERIOD.
What happened to Walt, the minister, the pilot, the cop chick and some of the other characters? No answers....and how in world did the ISLAND get there in the first place...
Disappointed to say the least...

Flag this comment

Roberto Gallstone         May 24th, 2010 11:45 am ET

If the island wasn't purgatory or a self created place to work out their demons before moving on, but was in fact real.... that means the insane things that happened there were real and needed to be explained better. First one being: how could all those people have survived such a horrible plane crash in the first place? that's what made me think they were already dead when the story began. The tail section broke off and hit the island far away from the front section! There would have been few if any survivors of that. Then from there you can add the electromagnetic junk and the others and darma guys and time travel and giant egyptian statues and nuclear explosions that they survived and smoke monsters... Some of that was answered in weak ways, but it is all too far fetched for me to be able to say the island was obviously real. The sideways world felt much more real even though that's the one area we actually KNOW wasn't.

Flag this comment

Bulloch         May 24th, 2010 11:45 am ET

Overall, I was pleased with the ending, although I agree the writers bit off a little more than they could chew with all the little questions they could never possibly answer.
The thing I can't figure out, if the island was real and not part of limbo, then what was the whole thing about? It seems like they answered the Flash-sideways stories by explaining it was part of the moving-on process but that still doesn't tell us anything about the island or why they were brought there in the first place.
Unfortunately, these are questions I will never have answered, so I, much like the cast of LOST, must learn to "Let go" of them and to "Move on"...

Flag this comment

K         May 24th, 2010 11:46 am ET

People keep saying things weren't answered, but clearly you weren't paying attention when they were.
polar bears: left over from experiments on the island that were conducted through Dharma, remember the cage with the biscuits that sawyer was locked in?
Dharma: a research group placed on the island to try to better understand the electro-magnetic abilities of the island.
numbers: they all related to the numbered "List" that Jacob had of candidates to replace him.
smoke monster: this is what the man-in-black became after he went into the light source on the island.

Flag this comment

suck it, questions!         May 24th, 2010 11:47 am ET

@Jessica "And if the alternate timeline isn't real, how are they able to choose to continue to exist in it- Daniel and Charlotte, Ben, and the other survivors who "aren't ready"?

They wouldn't be CHOOSING to exist in it, but they DO exist in it precisely BECAUSE they 'aren't ready'.

Flag this comment

The Pickle         May 24th, 2010 11:47 am ET

So they all died in the original plane crash? All this drama occured in a shared purgatory?What about all the stuff with outsiders(i.e. Whitmore?) And the flash sideways was what exactly? I enjoyed the series but a sensible ending was probably impossible with so many storylines.

Flag this comment

NachoKingP         May 24th, 2010 11:47 am ET

Everyone who complains that the show didn't answer questions ___________ and ____________ don't understand that the show doesn't have to answer all the questions, some things are just better off left to the imagination. Have some intellectual debate, talk with your friends, flesh out what you all think really happened, but realize that by doing that, that's exactly what Darlton WANT you to do, and that's a good thing. The finale didn't answer all the questions, but it did tie up the stories of nearly all of the characters from the series, and that's what the show needed to do. Could you imagine the backlash there would be if they answered all the questions but didn't give Ben or Locke or Jack some closure at the end of the show? That would've been the greater sin in my opinion.

Flag this comment

LR         May 24th, 2010 11:48 am ET

The last scene brought to mind "Amazing Grace." "I once was Lost, but now am found. Was blind but now I see."

Flag this comment

sealchan         May 24th, 2010 11:48 am ET

Although this series constantly posed questions that begged for answers, the ones that don't get answered are not so important as the ones that did. And maybe questions were answered but left more less important questions that if answered would only digress from the point of the whole series.

If you think the finale failed because of its lack of answers then you can sit outside the church with Ben. The rest of us will be inside and moving on...

Flag this comment

DharmaRules         May 24th, 2010 11:48 am ET

From reading comments here, and around the net, I feel like the people who liked the finale are the kind of people that can see the big picture. And those that didn't, are stuck on the hurley bird, and dharma food drops. Sure I would have loved to have everything tied up neatly, but it has not stopped me from enjoying the show, and the finale one bit. And in fact they did answer a great number of the lingering mysteries. People keep bringing up Walt (and I would have liked to see him again too..) and why he was special. well he was born special! Do we question how Hurley can talk to the Dead? Or miles can know what they felt, or thought as they died? We never got any explanation on HOW they can do that. Walt was psychic somehow. His story was cut short because the actor looked 18 when he should have been 10. I would have rather they recast, but hey thats just me..

To me, the finale was amazing. Not quite as amazing as when we found out about the hatches, and Dharma orientation videos, which I think was the coolest thing ever on tv, but for the ending to a show as great as Lost has been, it was very satisfying.

Flag this comment

Mighty Rontor         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

If you're wondering why Eko wasn't there, it's because he got his happy ending being with his brother as a kid. He had already moved on.

I just want to say that I LOVED the Target commercials!

Flag this comment

Patrick         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

Um. Ok... to anyone that didn't understand Dharma, or The Polar Bears, or the numbers. You obviously didn't watch the show at all. Because all of those were answered in Seasons 2 and 3. Dharma was a hippy science organization. The bears were there for research, because of Dharma. Hence the bear cages that Sawyer and Kate were in (duh). The only question that I'm left with, honestly.... is what happened at the end. Obviously we know what happened to those in the church. However the plane took off, what happened to those people? That's my only confusion.

Flag this comment

DML         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

trying to straiten everything out: The island was real life, and as everyone died at their own time, they went to the sideways world (purgatory). They stayed there until they were ready to let go, at which time they went to the afterlife?

Or, did they all die in the plane crash (which is why they showed the palne wreckage and no one around) and the island was pergatory. but then what does that make the sideways?

Flag this comment

junk         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

@K – see, you're just writing off some of the answers...

Dharma – we know who they were, but they were pivotal and just dropped from the plot..whatever happened to them? THAT wasn't answered....
Black Smoke – yes, we know it was Jacob's brother, but how'd he become smoke?

Flag this comment

glenn         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

I don't get it.
Does it mean everyone was already dead on the island?
They were able to go away from the island, some went back to their families. Was it all an illusion?

Flag this comment

patolics         May 24th, 2010 11:50 am ET

In my opinion it's clear that they died in the crash. The last scene of Jack dying with Vicent by his side is exactly the first scene of the premiere of Lost, season 1. They all went through that kind of purgatory, to realize in the end they died when the plane crashed in the island

Flag this comment

dkm         May 24th, 2010 11:50 am ET

well it ended as confusing as it began but I guess there are no clear answers in what religious cults call purgatory...I was just very disappointed it used religious propaganda to end the show... more mindless dribble!

Flag this comment

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It         May 24th, 2010 11:50 am ET

Lost-Fanatics are so easy to irritate. They have no life.

Flag this comment

MCW         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

The "sideways" world was not made up, in fact it was a flash forward view of purgatory/limbo. Everything that happened on the island was real, and in a spiritual sense, purgatory/limbo was real as well.

Flag this comment

Al         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

@Kelly – I didn't get that the plane crashed at the foot of the statue at all. Did I miss something? When Kate finally saw Jack again she said, "I've missed you so much." To me, that means that she went home and helped raise Aaron and lived a long time without him.

Am I wrong?

Flag this comment

LT         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

Why do some people think they died in the original crash? The island was the reality, the flash sideways was not. Jack's father said that "some died before you, some died after" and "there is no now here", so for all we know, Hurley and Ben were the island protectors for centuries, just as Jacob and Richard were. Those who escaped on the plane went back to live out their lives and died in their own time.

I'm perplexed that Richard and few others were not in the final scene, though.

Flag this comment

Disappointed         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

I was disappointed. Atthe beginning of the season, my husband and I mapped out this ending and said we hoped they didn't cop out and do something so predictable. Unfortunately it was just that... Joseph Campbell would be so proud that his theory about epic stories still hold true.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

@junk "Dharma – we know who they were, but they were pivotal and just dropped from the plot..whatever happened to them? THAT wasn't answered...."

Yes it was, a couple of seasons ago... Ben and "The Others" gassed them to death!

Flag this comment

Christian         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

@Kelly

I was pretty curious about your comment and just had to see for myself. I just re-watched the last couple of shots on Hulu. If you look at the wreckage, the paint job is clearly that of the Oceanic and not Ajira. Also, I didnt see the statue at all; just a large piece of wreckage that could perhaps resembles the statue base to you?

Flag this comment

Aaron         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

notice most of the dummies saying "i knew they were dead all along" were not real fans of the show. those that were fans and watched every episode. if you really beleive they were dead all along... sorry, you are dense and were never paying close enough attention.

everything that happened on the island was real. the creators have always said so.

Flag this comment

BigAl         May 24th, 2010 11:52 am ET

i guess, regardless if you loved or hated the ending, it was an interesting show that made you think.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:52 am ET

@LT "I'm perplexed that Richard and few others were not in the final scene, though."

They haven't "let go" yet.

Flag this comment

Magic Kenny         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

OK – here's the thing: the writers, throughout the series run, obviously bit off a bit more than they could chew. DON'T

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

Thanks "lostfan" you're right no statue but I didn notice a lot of footprints, so I guess it's like someone else said it was just showing the original crash and they did survive that. I did like the idea of the last plane crashing and killing them. I know it sounds morbid but at least we would've known what happened to them for sure. I still loved it.

Flag this comment

Rose         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

Melissa May 24th, 2010 11:04 am ET

To those wondering about the "is the island purgatory?" issue, here's my take. Everything that happened on the island was absolutely real. Whatever happened, happened.

The Flash-Sideways was purgatory, where the characters went once they passed, but before they could "move on." For me, the key to this is what Locke says to Jack after surgery: "You don't have a son." Jack's son was created in his purgatory, in order to deal with his relationship with his own father. He needed to get past that before he could move on. All the other characters (in the church) weren't ready to move on until they remembered/realized the connections from their past life (the island). Additionally, Hurley says to Ben outside the church "You WERE a great Number 2." The island happened. Hurley was ready to move on. Ben wasn't (I'm just going to assume he's waiting for Alex to be ready, and will move on with her).

The plane wreckage at the end was the Oceanic wreckage. It was to remind us how far we've come. I like to think the Ajira crew escaped.

Again, this is just my interpretation. I've certainly been wrong before. It wouldn't be LOST if there weren't something left to discuss/debate!

That's the way I had interpreted it, too.
It explains Penny being in the church. She died although whether that before Desmond or after is unknown.

I think that the plane Jack before the end saw fly over was the one carrying Claire and the other survivors.

I'm curious about the sneaker hanging from the tree, the one Jack stumbled past...

Also, the one question that I didn't get an answer to (maybe I missed it) was what happened to the children the Others kidnapped at the start of the series?!?

& Did anyone else expect an appearance by Mr Eko when they saw the church? or a 'guest appearance' by Tom?

Flag this comment

patolics         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

@glenn...i think so, it's kind'a that idea when you die, you realize what you've done in life, and see it backwards, the good and the bad, like a judgement. The future they saw, in my opinion, was because they couldn't realize that they were dead, they wouldn't accept it

Flag this comment

Roberto Gallstone         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

I like how people are saying: they already answered everything see? Like... the smoke monster. That was just Jacobs brother that got pushed into the light and he became a smoke monster. See how easy that is? That still doesn't explain why the blankety blank he would become a smoke monster or what a smoke monster is!!!

Flag this comment

Travis         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

For those that complain they wasted their time with the finale or even the entire 6 seasons because it didn't answer all your questions – I ask you "who can accurately answer what happens when you die?" There is no accurate answer because all of us who watched the show havent died yet. How do you expect television writers to wrap up afterlife in a little bow and hand you the answers. They don't know. What they did was use their imaginations to take viewers on a journey that they created based upon their theories and immaginations.

I agree with those that stated its the journey not the end that is important. People need quick answers to everything these days. Why not just let your immaginations go and simply.....wonder.

I think the goal the writers aimed for was only to sparking the viewers immagination of the afterlife not explaining what happens when you die.

Flag this comment

DanLang85         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

Obviously a lot of people did not get this ending.... THEY DID NOT DIE IN THE FIRST CRASH! The whole idea behind god is that time is not of importance. Everyone died at different times and then met at this church when they died because of their shared experience of redemption on the Island. This is evident when Hurley told Ben that they he had been a good No. 2. Ben did not enter the Church because of the pain and misery that he had put so many of them in. He belonged outside the Church because he had done many good things for the Island but he was ultimatley evil. The Island was everyone in the Church's salvation. Whether they lived beyond their experience on the Island or died while they are on the Island.

Flag this comment

The L         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

There's already further proof that this concept doesn't work. Flash Forward is already cancelled after ONE season. Thank God too, because I'm sure they would have had a crappy ending as well seeing as how it's the same creators as LOST. Everyone who wants a repeat of lost is above in these comments and that's not enough people to sustain another show like this.

Flag this comment

allenvh         May 24th, 2010 11:55 am ET

Was the plane wreck at the end the first crash from season 1 or the plane that took off at the end of the season finale? Anyone?

Flag this comment

carrie         May 24th, 2010 11:55 am ET

so glad this piece of crap is finally over!

Flag this comment

GJ         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

I don't make others wrong for liking, not liking, hating or even loving the ending. Its just viewpoints and opinions. I didn't like the ending particularly because I've seen it before."Places In the Heart" with Sally Field, John Malkovich and Danny Glover – they all end up with everyone they loved in a church in heaven. Not an original finish for the writers and producers of the show. Also, not very imaginative to leave it all up to our own interpretations. The show abandoned what made it great in the first two seasons.

Flag this comment

Palan         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

I'm amazed/disappointed by the many people (including some tv critics) who couldn't even understand the stuff that the finale explained plainly–

No, they did NOT die in the plane crash. Sideways world was the "waiting place," the place that they made together so they could find each other. They all arrived there when they died, but since "there is no now" there, they could die at different times and arrive there together (hence Hurley and Ben plainly congratulating each other on their tenure as island guardians).

The finale was pretty damn good– not the Best Thing Ever Ever, but pretty damn good. What's discouraging is the great amount of audience that is apparently not bright enough to follow even the elements that the writers spelled out.

Somehow this show has restored my faith in the intelligence of television while destroying my faith in the brains of its audience.

Flag this comment

Tony         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

Everyone in the final scene were only the people that were on the original flight, right?? Another reason why Ben didn't go into the church? Were Micheal or Walt in the final scene?

Flag this comment

Rachel         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

The footage at the end is of the original crash, it's just set pieces and doesn't involve the story. Ben Linus is going to wait to "let go" when Alex and Rousseau "let go". The other people in Lost who were not at the church are still waiting, perhaps Ben will help round them up. Sideways world was sort of a Purgatory where you gathered those you needed around you to help you realize you had died. Some people died before Jack did (Libby, Boone, Shannon, etc.) and some were to die after (Hurley – was the island's protector for an undisclosed amount of time, the people who got out on the plane and Desmond and Penny.) Hurley's number two man while he was in charge of the island was Ben, and Hurley obviously didn't work the same as Jacob and let people leave the island (Desmond). The source of the island's power is not all that relevant. It had strange power, and needed to be protected but the protectors could make up their own rules for it. Perhaps Hurley would allow more people to live there and not be as harsh as Jacob or his mother. I'm relieved that the time on the island was real and I am completely comfortable with the explaination of the sideways world. It is altogether possible that Hurley's unique abilities (speaking with the dead) will allow him to assist the souls trapped on the island (the whispers) in moving on as well.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

@The L, FlashForward is not from the same creators as LOST.

Flag this comment

Nicole         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

Loved it? Hated it? It doesn't matter which way you feel. What is undeniable is this was an epic show with an ending that fit. Those who mock the show would probably wish for a similar ending such as SATC, Friends, ER, NYPD, Gilligan's, or MASH. I loved it and am so glad it didn't end like the Sopranos.

Flag this comment

Andy         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

I thought the grace and love the characters experience through their relationships with one another is beautiful and underscores at least my own inability to make sense of our own world yet find a shared peace with others. I was very satisfied, especially with Jack, because they all, except Ben, were released from deep pain. It was beautiful. btw, I am not naive, I've tried making it alone, it is only suffering.

Flag this comment

You'll never get the answers..         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

To those who feel the writers needed to answer every question that you or they asked; get used to it. When you are lying on your death bed – you'll have questions that will go answered. It's part of life. I applaud the writers for a spectacular finale.

Flag this comment

MCW         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

Melissa nailed it!

Flag this comment

lost fan         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

After reading these posts it sounds like there are a lot of clueless people out there. Unbelievable.

There is no purgatory in the story!!! Why cant you people just "LET GO" of that idea.

The sideways timeline happened because the island was underwater when oceanic 815 flew over. The h-bomb put it there. Thats all there is to know about it.

The losties that had traveled back in time were propelled to their proper place in 2007.

Ben and his father were on the island when the bomb went off. How did they get off the island? Who knows? I don't care because its not important to understanding the characters. They cant answer every question we have and they shouldn't. If they did that would be a appointment.

Do you people really need everything to be spelled out for you?

Flag this comment

Erin         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

Wow I didn't get that at all from the credit scenes. I didn't even take into account it was the "wreckage" at all. I thought it was just the set. I got that it was a final goodbye to the set. The footprints were from actors and crew. I never once tied it to the story. It was just a scene shot out of respect for the fans and the show.

Flag this comment

Dr. Bombay         May 24th, 2010 11:58 am ET

this was all about Jack...and how, at the end, he laid down next to the dog, and you all know what dog spells backwards.

Every black screen before the numerous commercials reminded me of the soprano ending.

Flag this comment

Captain Relativity         May 24th, 2010 11:58 am ET

The recap leading up to the final episode, along with the commentary from the writers, really helped to clarify the entire series quite nicely. I'm glad they did that.

I enjoyed the final episode and it did seem to hold together fairly well, tying up most of the loose ends. Once everyone, except Ben (appropriately enough), had been gathered together in the church, I got the distinct impression that what I was supposed to be seeing was an allegorical representation of "Heaven", or at least heaven's waiting room, where everybody (particularly those who have shuffled off their mortal coils) lives happily ever after, amen.

The religious overtones of the final scene where the doors are opened and the brilliantly bright light of 'Heavenly Glory' washes over everyone seemed to me to be unmistakable. Then again, I'm an atheist, so perhaps I'm reading more into this than was intended by the writers.

Anybody else get this sense of overt religiosity at the end, or is it just me?

Flag this comment

Think         May 24th, 2010 11:58 am ET

Those of you who think they were dead from the initial plane crash think about it. Charlie, Sayid, Sun & Jin etc. all died at the island. You don't die twice. The island was everyone's spiritual reality (sub-conscience)where darkness battled the light . The initial crash happened so that they could find out who they really are. All of the sideways and flashbacks/forwards etc. was an imagination of their conscience selves in other words a conscience representation of the battles they faced in the spiritual sub-concious realm represented by their existence on the island where they ultimately found and preserved the light which was the source of all life. In the end darkness was defeated and the souls of everyone who was ready crossed over to the light. The imagination of ones self was in effect a means to an end and presented a way to remember and connect with the spiritual subconscious so that the soul progresses to a higher realm where light reigns and time is infinite.

Flag this comment

Amy         May 24th, 2010 11:59 am ET

I was disappointed that some of the major series issues were left unexplained. The finale seemed to conclude season 6, but not the season as a whole. Specifically, the issues with childbirth on the island and the time devoted to time travel, which I personally thought WAS really original and interesting. I did like the emotional reunions, but certainly would have preferred if they ended up in the parallel universe and not actually dead!

After some thought, I am wondering if the childbirth issue is in some way related to Jacob/MIB being born and their mother being killed. I feel like that is related but I cannot figure out why. thoughts?

Flag this comment

Frank in Pensacola, FL         May 24th, 2010 11:59 am ET

Well, I've been telling my friends and family for about 3+ years that the answers at the end would point toward some version of the afterlife. Since it wasn't quite bad enough to be hell, and people seemed to have free will, I opted for Purgatory. Not quite the "it was a dream" ending for WhoShotJR, but close. Lotsa clues based what was on people's minds prior to the crash, and afterwards.

For the last year I've been saying that the final episode would leave most of it open-ended. Otherwise, there'd be too much hate-mail, too many people bereft of water-cooler discussion and blog opps. So, for 6 years we've been following the 'relations' of all the people who died in the crash of Oceanic 815 as they attempted to resolve their individual needs/flaws/soul wounds. Along the way the bump into other flawed souls and spin yet more variations of reality as they attempt to make sense of it all and find redemption. All the time-travel, all the flash-whatsit-ways, all the confusing mystery, all the allegorical mumbo-jumbo, can be explained by it being a different person's context or point of view in Purgatory. Some, for example, couldn't leave for having accidentally murdered someone.

Sure, there are inconsistencies (why is Jack allowed to leave when he kills FLocke?), but many things can be explained now. Not rationally, mind you – the creative license of ANYTHING being explained by the imagination and soul needs of one of the characters as they died (or after they died and their soul was in Purgatory) is pretty broad. Polar bears, for example, are explained by the comic book...the rest of the stuff about Dharma, etc. is just the woven fabric of the collective souls attempting to make sense of it all while they struggled for redemption and "letting go".

I distinctly recall the writers saying long ago that hell, purgatory, and limbo weren't the answers. Who can blame them for not revealing their mechanism for the creative license. But, still, it was just a smoke screen (hah!) to allow them to keep milking this cash cow.

Great storytelling. Great characters. Great film making. Great relationships and interactions. But, a somewhat less than satisfactory ending that will nonetheless generate many more opportunities to milk the story for reruns, t-shirts, plus geegaws and gimcracks of all sorts.

Flag this comment

RodbfronNC         May 24th, 2010 11:59 am ET

So what was this about? and where was the volleyball. Was Tom hanks on the same island? And why did Dr. Morneau have a lab on the island and did not invite them for dinner? and were they REALLY in purgatory or was it the long way to Heaven? And where was Bob Newhart? and was it dream from Dallas...and finally, WHO CARES?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum