Atlantis Arisen
October 05, 2022, 07:59:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tiny Galactic Building Blocks Spotted
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070906_toy_galaxies.html

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Lost Season Finale

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Season Finale  (Read 169 times)
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:41 pm »

LeftEmpty         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

The finale was good overall, but apparently the producers took the money and ran a few years ago. During the success of the first season, many viewers thought the island was purgatory and everyone was dead. I remember that the producers actively denied that the island was purgatory and yet they ran episodes for five more years. And guess what, after all the billions of dollars they made off of us, the island was actually purgatory. If the producers admitted it six years ago and ran with it, we wouldn't have another Sopranos-type disappointment.

Flag this comment

Lostie         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

Perfectly brilliant, gracious ending to the smartest show in history. The poor argument critics are either not loyal viewers or lacking in analytic intelligence. If you don't get it, you don't get it. This is not a trance-inducing; turn-your-brain-off type of show. As the creators have always said, the show is firstly about the characters. If you’re dissatisfied with the lack of complete explanation, you are not a true “Lostie” as the ending was perfectly faithful to the “Lostian” tradition

Flag this comment

Jan         May 24th, 2010 11:31 am ET

The ending was beautiful. I interpreted the sideways views as each person's thoughts as they were dying. And I also thought the plane crashed as it attempted to leave the island. The reuniting of lost love was emotional and the final scenes were amazing. Each actor had a look of pure joy on their face. That was inspirational. I was not disappointed.

Flag this comment

EricPDX         May 24th, 2010 11:32 am ET

Worst series finale in television history. They may have answered what the sideways world was (sort of) but 98% of what the show was about was NOT answered. It is nothing more than the creators and the network walking away from it all because they never had any answers themselves. It is a total cop out that they conveniently said, "Oh, figure it out for yourself."

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:32 am ET

Kelly, That was the original wreckage from 815 shown at the end and it was nowhere near the statue.

Flag this comment

Carla         May 24th, 2010 11:32 am ET

So am I the only one who thinks that the entirety of LOST (all 7 seasons) was simply a hallucination that Jack had while he lay dying from the original plane crash?? I *loved* the finale. My initial thought was that the whole thing was in Jack's mind - and that was okay. But reading all of this, I'm also okay with the island being reality and the sideways being purgatory. It all being a hallucination answers every single question, though.

Flag this comment

Joe         May 24th, 2010 11:33 am ET

I thought the last scene of almost everyone "passing on" together was fitting to the the "Live Together, Die Alone" statement that was a staple of the show. I totally agree that Jack dying with Vincent by his side MADE that ending. As a fan, I didn't need an answer to everything. Being the character driven show that LOST was, I was much more interested in how the show would end for the characters than in who built that stupid statue or how MIB became a smoke monster. I loved it...NAMASTE my friends, thanks for the last 6 years!

Flag this comment

Lostie         May 24th, 2010 11:33 am ET

LeftEmpty- You are wrong and evidently didn't even read this article for which you are commenting, because it is spelled out: "Those of you who thought the island was purgatory were wrong"

Flag this comment

TheEnd         May 24th, 2010 11:33 am ET

Dallas! Anyone! Remember? It was only a dream....Artistic license has been evoked on this, the final season. I would have liked to see some sort of conclusion on the split lives of the Oceanic 6 in which either the rescued ego or the island ego survived. Then, let the island go away. No sequel in this show! Still, it has provoked more water cooler discussions than the Bush\Gore election. A well done!

Flag this comment

Dexter         May 24th, 2010 11:34 am ET

Pathetic. You can read whatever you want into this, but after 6 seasons all you get the series equivalent of Pam Ewing waking up to Bobby in the shower. Who are these guys kidding?

Flag this comment

Seth         May 24th, 2010 11:34 am ET

One of the most moving and hopeful ending of any TV series or movie I have seen. Very few TV Series or movies have moved me in a way the Lost finally did, and the entire series overall. This is one people will refer to and talk about for decades possibly. Well done.

Flag this comment

Carrie Gourley         May 24th, 2010 11:35 am ET

Lost was the best TV series ever. The ending was special and uplifting. It was definately a tearjerker, and as for me, a person of faith, the ending wasabsolutely perfect.

Flag this comment

The L         May 24th, 2010 11:36 am ET

wait...unless the author was saying that Desmond (on the island) was aware of purgatory (in the other timeline). Jeez...did the author of this article write for LOST?
I have to agree with the person who said that the writer/producers of the show admitted early on that there was no purgatory situation and that everyone is not dead. They did admit that. What an overall rip off.

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 11:36 am ET

All the other little unaswered questions don't matter. We know what happened to them, it was about the people. But I still need to watch the end and see the plane wreckage.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:37 am ET

For MCW:

1. what was the purpose of jack's son in limbo world?
Dunno but it doesn't matter.
2. why was sawyer a cop in limbo world? ben a teacher?
I'm guessing that they chose who/what they were in "limbo world".
3. why was aaron a baby in limbo world? (he did not die as a baby)
Aaron wasn't in "limbo world". You only saw him when the Oceanic 6 got off the island, which wasn't "limbo world".
4. was widmore ultimately good or bad? (his motives were never clearly stated)
Nobody knows. Alan Dale, the actor who played him, even said he doesn't know last night on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
5. why was ben given an opportunity to enter the church, but not michael? (ben's actions in life altruistic, michaels selfish?)
Michael hasn't "let go", he's still a whisper wondering the island.
6. were those not in church working off worser sins?
No, they just haven't "let go".

Flag this comment

stet         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

LeftEmpty, were you paying attention at the end? The island was not purgatory, but the alternate time line was.

Flag this comment

Hurley is Fat         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

Many comments up, Amy actually says "I have never been so emotionally involved in a show. It has been the longest relationship of my life so far "

Wow. Nuff said about the Lost fantards who will make this show out to be something way greater than it actually was.

Flag this comment

woodie         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

It was bloated, overdone, melodramatic, and religulous. A back slapping party. I'd have preferred they just left it with Locke dead and Hurley on the Island. The mystery is now destroyed and terribly uninteresting.

Flag this comment

lostie         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It:

"didn't answer ANY questions of the island (polar bears, Dharma, numbers, smoke monster, etc)..."

instead of complaining about it, try watching the show...in detail...because they've already answered those questions

Flag this comment

Riley         May 24th, 2010 11:40 am ET

My take on this whole series is that it is allegorical. The island is a representation of every man's journey to enlightenment. I don't see it as purgatory. When Jack's father said there is no "now" here...I believe that when Ben, Daniel, Lapidus and the others are ready to let go, the group will just include them. Makes no difference when they decide they are ready.

Flag this comment

Kathy         May 24th, 2010 11:41 am ET

My understanding: The island was real, but obviously had mysterious not-entirely-explained forces at work. The flashbacks and flashforwards were real. All of the characters lived and died as seen in previous episodes. Those who survived into the finale and wasn't shown to die during the course of the finale lived the rest of their lives (separately or together, on or off the island) for days or years or even centuries (since we don't know how long Hurley and Ben stayed on the island) that we don't know anything about. When each of them died, at different times over the years, they found their way slowly back to each other in an afterlife by way of the flash sideways limbo. Time in limbo is completely subjective, so though it was presented as one time stream, it was different for each of them depending on when they died. Everyone in the church was dead and moving together into the afterlife, since the bonds they had made on the island were stronger than anything else in their lives. I looked for Vincent in the church too, but didn't see him, which somehow made me sadder than not seeing the other people who weren't there.

The producers didn't lie about the island being purgatory or the 815 passengers dying in the crash, because it wasn't, and they didn't. I'm happy to have seen the relationships strong and meaningful at the end, and glad the writers didn't pander to idiots by forcing some kind of answer to every single weird happening throughout the six seasons. A little mystery makes life more interesting.

Flag this comment

Liz         May 24th, 2010 11:41 am ET

There are those in this world who don't have the mental ability to truly see what an intelligent, well-planned show this has been. Best to disregard those who comment on this site through ignorance or inability to comprehend the incredible complexities presented by the writers/creators and those whose impatience drove their reactions. I'm so glad I kept watching even though friends struggled with this show and quit. The questions unanswered were left where they should have been, and the important questions (resolution for each key character) were satisfying and comforting. Great ending, thanks for the great ride!

Flag this comment

Lostfan         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Was everyone in the church dead or were some alive? I thought they were all dead but read that wasn't case.

Flag this comment

#1 Lost Fan         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

I really don't know how people claim to be fans of lost and still like that awful finale. It tried to change the whole basis of the show. Lost was a sci-fi/mystery based series. That is what kept people coming back week after week. Trying to turn it into a character based/religious show did not work at all. No true lost fan could have enjoyed that ending.

Flag this comment

tutone         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Watched every episode, all the answers are there, and the journey was beautiful. This was more than a show to me, and so many people, and I can proudly say I am a Lostie for life. I think these to writer/creators gave us something to entertain, but also make a difference in who we are, there is always time to make things right, all you have to do is let go and make the best of what you can, even though we fight, love and friendship is what matters.........I cant think of a show that leaves a message a like that, I love it and will miss every minute of it.

Flag this comment

Steve         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Clearly, I H8te Lost isn't ready to "let go" yet..........

Flag this comment

Paul James         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

did anybody watch the Jimmy Kimmel Live afterwards? Jimmy interviewed Matthew Fox and asked him if his assumption was correct.

Flag this comment

Justin         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Here is my take on Smokey –

The source imbues the protector of the island with enough power to protect it. It gives them the power to summon people, set rules for the island, etc. Upon discovering the murder of his mother, all of Jacob's rage coalesced around his brother and transformed him into a creature of fear and hatred. It was a physical expression of Jacob's mental anguish, enabled by the power of the island granted to the protector.

Flag this comment

heather         May 24th, 2010 11:43 am ET

LOVED THE FINALE LAST NIGHT!!!

For those who are still a little confused, this is my take on it (I could be wrong though).

The sideways reality was their purgatory. It was created by the souls of those who hadn't accepted their death...yet. Once each experienced a similar significant event which happened to them on the island in the sideways reality...they instantly remembered their love for each other; how they died and what they meant to each other. They were able to "move on" to heaven. Jack was the last one of the group to be able to accept his death.

What happened on the island was the actual reality. Jack did die on the island in the end there. I believe (and this is where the writers allow you to use your OWN imagination) that those on the plane who made it off the island in the end – Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Richard, etc. – made it back to the mainland and continued their life journey as best they could.

Obviously, Hurley and Ben remained on the island and protected it as best they could. Hurley made up his own rules to run the island with Ben as his number 2 man. Sounds like they made a good team in the end there.

Since the most significant moments and times in their lives ocurred on the island – that was their eternal bond – in mind, body and soul. Which is why they were all there in the end (including Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and Claire) with Jack to help him "move on" to heaven. He had to "let go" of purgatory by stop trying to fix things (his and others lives/relationships) and just accept his death.

Kinda sad that Jack and Kate didn't have their actual reality "happy ending" but the fact they're reunited in Heaven is fitting.

AWESOME SERIES FINALE!! The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I must've cried on and off for those 2.5 hours last night. Sad to see a good show go...but it's one for the memory books.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:43 am ET

Kelly, save yourself some time. Here's a link to screen captures of the last frames. You'll see it's the original wreckage and no statue.

http://gallery.lost-media.com/displayimage-1557-1743.html

Flag this comment

RDU         May 24th, 2010 11:43 am ET

Plain crap. Cop out for the producers and writers enjoy your DVD sales!!

Flag this comment
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum