Atlantis Arisen
March 28, 2024, 08:11:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First Orchid Fossil Found in Amber
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070829-orchid-fossil.html

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

President Obama in New York City to honor 9/11 victims, first responders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Obama in New York City to honor 9/11 victims, first responders  (Read 36 times)
Lisa Wolfe
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:14:29 pm »

President Obama in New York City to honor 9/11 victims, first responders

by Jed Lewison .

Images from President Obama's trip earlier today to New York City, where he visited with 9/11 first responders and victims's families and laid a wreath at the 9/11 Memorial Plaza at the site of the World Trade Center (captions written by Reuters):

President Barack Obama talks with firefighters as he visits the Engine 54 Ladder 4 New York Fire Department firehouse at Times Square in New York, May 5, 2011. The battalion lost 15 firefighters in the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings on September 11, 2001. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lisa Wolfe
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:15:15 pm »

President Barack Obama greets officers while visiting the First Precinct police station with former Mayor Rudy Giuliani (3rd R) in New York, May 5, 2011. The First Precinct covers the World Trade Center and Ground Zero area and was first on the scene during 9/11. (REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)
Report Spam   Logged
Lisa Wolfe
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »

President Barack Obama carries a wreath accompanied by New York City firefighters and NYPD police officers during a wreath laying ceremony at the National September 11th Memorial at the World Trade Center site in New York, May 5, 2011. Days after the killing of Osama bin Laden, U.S. President Barack Obama met New York firefighters on Thursday before a visit to Ground Zero to offer comfort to a city still scarred by the Sept. 11 attacks. (REUTERS/Brendan McDermid)
President Obama delivered remarks at the firehouse. A transcript is below the fold.
Report Spam   Logged
Lisa Wolfe
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »

REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT “PRIDE OF MIDTOWN” FIREHOUSE, ENGINE 54, LADDER 4, BATTALION 9
THE PRESIDENT:  Well, listen, the main reason I came here is because I heard the food is pretty good.  (Laughter.)

But to the Commissioner, to Mayor Giuliani -- who obviously performed heroic acts almost 10 years ago -- but most of all, to all of you, I wanted to just come up here to thank you.

This is a symbolic site of the extraordinary sacrifice that was made on that terrible day almost 10 years ago.  Obviously we can't bring back your friends that were lost, and I know that each and every one of you not only grieve for them, but have also over the last 10 years dealt with their family, their children, trying to give them comfort, trying to give them support.

What happened on Sunday, because of the courage of our military and the outstanding work of our intelligence, sent a message around the world, but also sent a message here back home that when we say we will never forget, we mean what we say; that our commitment to making sure that justice is done is something that transcended politics, transcended party; it didn’t matter which administration was in, it didn’t matter who was in charge, we were going to make sure that the perpetrators of that horrible act -- that they received justice.

So it’s some comfort, I hope, to all of you to know that when those guys took those extraordinary risks going into Pakistan, that they were doing it in part because of the sacrifices that were made in the States.  They were doing it in the name of your brothers that were lost.

And finally, let me just say that, although 9/11 obviously was a high water mark of courage for the New York Fire Department and a symbol of the sacrifice, you guys are making sacrifices every single day.  It doesn’t get as much notoriety, it doesn’t get as much attention, but every time you run into a burning building, every time that you are saving lives, you're making a difference.  And that's part of what makes this city great and that's part of what makes this country great.

So I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart and on behalf of the American people for the sacrifices that you make every single day.  And I just want to let you know that you're always going to have a President and an administration who’s got your back the way you’ve got the backs of the people of New York over these last many years.

So God bless you.  God bless the United States of America.

And with that, I'm going to try some of that food.  All right?  Appreciate you.  Thank you.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/05/973378/-President-Obama-in-New-York-City-to-honor-9-11-victims,-first-responders?showAll=yes
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum