Atlantis Arisen
April 18, 2024, 08:34:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Pioneer Anomaly
http://planetary.org/programs/projects/pioneer_anomaly/

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Dana Milbank Leaving Countdown With Keith Olbermann

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dana Milbank Leaving Countdown With Keith Olbermann  (Read 177 times)
Kristina
Atlantean Warrior

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:43:31 am »

Dana Milbank Leaving Countdown With Keith Olbermann

August 5, 2008 09:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank will no longer appear on MSNBC's Countdown. Keith Olbermann posted the announcement on Daily Kos:

Dana Milbank of The Washington Post, who notified us today that after four years appearing with us, he had accepted another television offer.

This saved your crack Countdown staff an increasingly difficult decision.

For nearly a week we'd been waiting for him to offer a correction or an explanation for his column from last week in which he apparently reported an Obama quote without a full context turned the meaning of the quote inside-out.

Then he called criticisms of his column "whines" even though the dispute was over whether Obama said the self-deprecating: "It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign -- that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It's about America. I have just become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions" -- or only the part about "I have just become a symbol..."

We had decided not to have Dana on this news-hour again until this was cleared up, and, sadly after some very happy years, he's apparently chosen to make that cloud permanent.

As the Huffington Post reported last week, Milbank took a quote from Barack Obama out of context, using it to label the Democrat "presumptuous."

Olbermann himself writes of Milbank's departure:

It was quite a surprise conclusion, obviously, and I'll take it (before anybody tries to take it back).

I'm sure that wasn't his intention, but often one's best work is inadvertent. I'm just as sure his version of the provenance of the original version of the quote the Post's source provided was accurate. What happened thereafter was the problem.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/05/dana-milbank-leaving-coun_n_116997.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kristina
Atlantean Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:46:11 am »

Dana Milbank And Unhappy Endings
by Keith Olbermann

Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:07:12 PM PDT

Since I was a little less than proactive about this issue last week on television (for reasons which I think will become readily apparent), I thought I'd offer a little preview of an item on tonight's Countdown.

The headline: Dana Milbank won't be on the news hour any more.

Keith Olbermann's diary :: ::
Timing is indeed everything.

In fact, that's how we're "hanging" this as a brief item in tonight's show:

Best Timing:
      Dana Milbank of The Washington Post, who notified us today that after four years appearing with us, he had accepted another television offer.
      This saved your crack Countdown staff an increasingly difficult decision.
      For nearly a week we'd been waiting for him to offer a correction or an explanation for his column from last week in which he apparently reported an Obama quote without a full context turned the meaning of the quote inside-out.   
      Then he called criticisms of his column "whines" even though the dispute was over whether Obama said the self-deprecating: "It has become increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign -- that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, is not about me at all. It's about America. I have just become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions" -- or only the part about "I have just become a symbol..."
      We had decided not to have Dana on this news-hour again until this was cleared up, and, sadly after some very happy years, he's apparently chosen to make that cloud permanent.
      Good luck, Dana.

Anybody who would come on television to talk about the Dick Cheney shoot-up, wearing an orange safety vest and a hunter's cap automatically gets my benefit of the doubt. But even that had a shelf-life, which was nearing, when he took any further decision-making out of our hands. It was quite a surprise conclusion, obviously, and I'll take it (before anybody tries to take it back).

I'm sure that wasn't his intention, but often one's best work is inadvertent. I'm just as sure his version of the provenance of the original version of the quote the Post's source provided was accurate. What happened thereafter was the problem.

And there's nothing facetious in the good luck wish there. I liked working with Dana, and he once even brought his Mom with him to the New York studio. So we put this not in the Worst Persons In The World segment, but in "Bests," in a spirit of... something.
Report Spam   Logged
Kristina
Atlantean Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:47:15 am »

Tips... (1094+ / 0-)
...to take to the, er, (mill) bank?

Sorry.

"If you're going through hell - keep going!" -- Winston Churchill

by Keith Olbermann on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:08:11 PM PDT

so when does he start at Fox? (278+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, N in Seattle, gpclay, Ducktape, Yosef 52, ogre, copymark, Lords, Bear, assyrian64, Better Days, lrhoke, ScientistMom in NY, mattman, patriot spear, Sprinkles, bliss149, Shockwave, byteb, shayera, loveaustin, Mnemosyne, frsbdg, CybScryb, Bexley Lane, marjo, Matilda, bethcf4p, mataliandy, HighSticking, TexasDemocrat, chipoliwog, Lexicon, eyeswideopen, missLotus, mentaldebris, parker parrot, peace voter, highacidity, Mlle Orignalmale, Glic, pattisigh, buckhorn okie, mrblifil, MisterOpus1, allysonsta, Andrea7470, peraspera, oslo, Miss Blue, sagra, dchill, lilnubber, Terre, WriterRoss, rioduran, Lilyvt, mayan, resa, Dallasdoc, weary hobo, RaulVB, churchylafemme, ArcXIX, betson08, lecsmith, ChiGirl88, randallt, wolverinethad, hopalong, historys mysteries, 3goldens, IamtheReason, bellevie, Ckntfld, blueyedace2, basilbeast, klamothe, mjd in florida, KnotIookin, triciawyse, ChemBob, ejsmom, boofdah, bleeding blue, aaraujo, John DE, Kayakbiker, cassidy3, lotlizard, Phil S 33, Joy Busey, sunbro, Mike E, Cyber Kat, serrano, Shaking the Tree, Cory Bantic, playtonjr, jj24, Flippant, ZinZen, ohcanada, SocioSam, Sister Havana, begone, curiousted, salvador dalai llama, trashablanca, LeighAnn, Do Tell, tarheelblue, Sam the Wolfdog, 417els, Ellicatt, ceriboo, IvanR, mcartri, greenearth, hideinplainsight, Hobbitfoot, ginja, SherriG, MJ via Chicago, atrexler, StrayCat, Lashe, Dissentinator, imabluemerkin, ER Doc, Andy30tx, quantumspin, ilyana, Clive all hat no horse Rodeo, zorthron, kurious, FMArouet, Temmoku, AllanTBG, markthshark, liberaldemdave, AntKat, Wordie, anotherdemocrat, Jaleh, desertguy, lordcopper, mamabigdog, ColoTim, Chas56, threegoal, jds1978, karmsy, DvCM, lynmar, Nespolo, Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle, ballerina X, Casey Morris, NoMoJoe, BobTrips, MI Sooner, jayden, Midwesterners, jedennis, vbdietz, cyncynical, keenekarl, Newzie, Moderation, Bridge Master, Rumarhazzit, rf7777, MichiganGirl, roycej, adrianrf, mconvente, sk4p, dotster, scooter in brooklyn, Cordwainer, marmar, OleHippieChick, elwior, beltane, Greasy Grant, smartdemmg, pickandshovel, ankey, Seamus D, Tainith, costello7, RubyGal, dlh77489, evening walk, shortgirl, ibinreno, csaw, maggiejean, kayak3k, hardtoport, Bule Betawi, Rhysling, cybrestrike, christine20, driftwood, illdemforchange, Texanomaly, ghett, LincolnLight, gdwtch52, Yerba Buena, wil5013, Kunicks, Omo Plata, markhaverty, prgsvmama26, redtex, batgirl71, followyourbliss, Larry Madill, sistermoon, MooseHB, Yougottahavehope, PoliticalJunkessa, brushysage, spyguy999, Nonconformist, FundaMental Transformation, Kelly of PA, CalexanderJ, MizKit, Sarahsaturn, myelinate, loveendures, Tricky, Leigh3352, Emalene, AussieJo, LogicaLizE, Leftovers, ladygreenslippers, darsh, mjanem, Alohilani, foufou, Sam James, bglv, kenjisan, panAmerican, pyegar, fedupcitizen, dragonlilleth, RBinDLH, ArtSchmart, LaughingPlanet, Yumn, larryww, My mom is my hero, Dustee, hakunamatata, Faith in Tomorrow, expatinparis, pinkomommy, ilves, JoanMar, calichristi, batchick, Cammi317, Artchess, axel000, debbieleft, ahimsa, jim283, dclarke, BlueFranco, Inspired By Nature, bosshogg
or Fox light - CNN?

Grandpa is mean and he smells funny.

by MadAsHellMaddie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:10:22 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Hee hee - (52+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, mattman, peace voter, mrblifil, obatanga night, Samer, churchylafemme, barbwires, The Gryffin, blueyedace2, fiestygrrl, triciawyse, ChemBob, Joy Busey, Shaking the Tree, Do Tell, tarheelblue, smythy, greenearth, Lashe, InternetJunkie, ER Doc, WI Dem, anotherdemocrat, Jaleh, Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle, NoMoJoe, MI Sooner, keenekarl, Newzie, MadAsHellMaddie, Neon Mama, elwior, golconda2, Diogenes2008, shortgirl, Bule Betawi, christine20, earicicle, redtex, Kelly of PA, loveendures, Tricky, LogicaLizE, Sam James, dragonlilleth, RBinDLH, CandyKat, expatinparis, JoanMar, calichristi, dclarke
and when can we expect Mrs. Greenspan to do the same??

Boy it's getting so I have to turn the channel when she's on.

"Pictures are better than words, cause some words are big, and hard to understand." Peter Griffin.

by Leigh3352 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:21:05 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Hey, she blew the whistle on the McCain slur (217+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Malacandra, RichM, norm, gpclay, Ed in Montana, Baseballgirl, Ducktape, Yosef 52, Bear, miasmo, Christin, TaraIst, lrhoke, TrueBlueMajority, nicolemm, saraswati, mattman, maineiac, Shockwave, byteb, John Campanelli, chipoliwog, auapplemac, Lexicon, JNEREBEL, Nellcote, Silverleaf, parker parrot, peace voter, mytribe, buckhorn okie, Zueda, oslo, wishingwell, Miss Blue, dchill, lilnubber, kimberlyweldon, WriterRoss, rioduran, Cedwyn, high uintas, resa, Nancy in LA, Seattlite, churchylafemme, niteskolar, Jesus was a Liberal, defluxion10, betson08, The Termite, awkward007, grrr, monkee, Vicky, Black Max, wolverinethad, sawgrass727, historys mysteries, marina, 3goldens, Treg, DianeNYS, bellevie, Ckntfld, blueyedace2, basilbeast, leckavrea, mjd in florida, chimene, triciawyse, MT Spaces, ChemBob, Brooke In Seattle, Pam from Calif, aaraujo, sueNaustin, sunbro, Shaking the Tree, ZinZen, JanF, RainyDay, Sister Havana, Philpm, ksingh, Topaz7, trashablanca, lovelylight, Fasaha, 417els, Malachite, ceriboo, nibit25, Wary, greenearth, Hobbitfoot, StrayCat, imabluemerkin, ER Doc, Andy30tx, joshc123, Timothy J, buckeye blue, BB10, WI Dem, frankzappatista, revgerry, kurious, AllanTBG, markthshark, Little, DBunn, Wordie, Jaleh, dmh44, mamabigdog, crankyinNYC, yoduuuh do or do not, jds1978, FishOutofWater, Melchuck29, lynmar, Nespolo, flumptytail, Jimdotz, Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle, dww44, MI Sooner, jayden, brentmack, second gen, keenekarl, Bridge Master, Rumarhazzit, UneasyOne, Send Rahm a Cheesecake, adrianrf, elwior, golconda2, MiniGram, beltane, sandav, Happy Days, mayim, evora, smartdemmg, demwords, ankey, ProgMa57, Blogvirgin, dlh77489, Virginia mom, Nica24, evening walk, Oxy, Diogenes2008, GrouchoKossak, csaw, hardtoport, Bule Betawi, LincolnLight, gdwtch52, banjolele, pvlb, athensga, StuHunter, docb, desertlover, unspeakable, prgsvmama26, redtex, ElizabethRegina1558, oxfdblue, MooseHB, BlueMama, RoCali, Nonconformist, Sleepwalkr, Kelly of PA, MizKit, Sarahsaturn, myelinate, Tor Onsen, schnecke21, Leigh3352, LogicaLizE, kfd313, Its the Supreme Court Stupid, choochmac, ladygreenslippers, TruthandTrust, BasketCase, foufou, Sam James, UrbandaleForObama, panAmerican, dragonlilleth, MA Voter, stuck in a red state, My mom is my hero, Spruced Alien, Dustee, Indie Tarheel, mollyk, puffmeister, expatinparis, alieninamerica, pinkomommy, ilves, calichristi, Cammi317, Artchess, DrFitz, jim283, farbuska, dclarke, BlueFranco
about "not visiting the troops".  Give credit where it's due.

by geordie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:22:15 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

dana milbank is a guy n/t (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:oslo, triciawyse, Bule Betawi, Tricky, Leigh3352

Before: "America Rising" - John Edwards we are with you. - After - Not This Time - Barack Obama we are with you!

by totallynext on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:24:55 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Talkin' about Andrea Mitchell. nt (57+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, Angie in WA State, Ducktape, scribeboy, TaraIst, mattman, Vico, Matilda, parker parrot, peace voter, Cedwyn, The Animal, churchylafemme, flatford39, Jesus was a Liberal, betson08, The Termite, awkward007, The Gryffin, rapala, 3goldens, mjd in florida, triciawyse, MT Spaces, ChemBob, Brooke In Seattle, sunbro, Cyber Kat, Sister Havana, ksingh, trashablanca, lovelylight, 417els, Malachite, ceriboo, greenearth, Hobbitfoot, Timothy J, dmh44, jds1978, Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle, Uncle Moji, adrianrf, dlh77489, Diogenes2008, GrouchoKossak, Bule Betawi, StuHunter, MooseHB, BlueMama, Nonconformist, myelinate, Tricky, LogicaLizE, Yumn, expatinparis, ilves

"Pictures are better than words, cause some words are big, and hard to understand." Peter Griffin.

by Leigh3352 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:27:01 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Maddow needs her own show (95+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, norm, gpclay, Angie in WA State, cali, nicolemm, ScientistMom in NY, Dumbo, peace voter, mrblifil, greengrrl, oslo, dchill, Cedwyn, resa, Samer, Fyodor, ArcXIX, rlharry, donailin, rapala, IamtheReason, fiestygrrl, basilbeast, ChemBob, Tod, marie10022, Cyber Kat, Silence is Complicity, Shaking the Tree, playtonjr, Sister Havana, curiousted, khaavren, cookseytalbott, ceriboo, nibit25, mcartri, greenearth, iburl, chutry, totallynext, Coffee Geek, TeddySanFran, Timothy J, BB10, WI Dem, Batbird, AntKat, bfbenn, ddriscoll, Melchuck29, Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle, jimbobb, MI Sooner, Midwesterners, trivium, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, golconda2, lawprofessor, evora, left my heart, ProgMa57, DixieDishrag, Scubaval, Diogenes2008, GrouchoKossak, Sun dog, hardtoport, Texanomaly, ghett, Jdories, jodygirl, Rorgg, markhaverty, Matrix Dweller, redtex, MooseHB, Nonconformist, myelinate, Leigh3352, Fernham, Its the Supreme Court Stupid, darsh, MA Voter, Vacationland, MomDem, Dustee, Indie Tarheel, chrome327, second alto, calichristi, axel000, DrFitz
Yeah, I know, sorry; this has nothing to do with the diary or the comments above.

But hey, it's for a great cause..!

There is only one presidential candidate.

by OutOfManyOne on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:04:10 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Equally OT (42+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, mrblifil, oslo, dchill, OutOfManyOne, webweaver, Samer, Black Max, wolverinethad, rimstalker, basilbeast, Cyber Kat, Silence is Complicity, Sister Havana, Topaz7, ceriboo, bess, iburl, WI Dem, meowmissy, crankyinNYC, Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle, jimbobb, MI Sooner, cececville, adrianrf, DixieDishrag, hardtoport, ghett, Jdories, last patriot left, Matrix Dweller, redtex, MooseHB, CurlyQ, Leigh3352, AussieJo, happypea, Vacationland, Indie Tarheel, second alto, axel000
Rachel animosity
Should not stop MSNBC
Awake! Bring Rachel from the shadows:
Make your next new show R. Maddow's!

by trivium on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:08:54 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

nice poem (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle, trivium
I like it. Smiley

There is only one presidential candidate.

by OutOfManyOne on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 10:14:53 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Agreed. nt (11+ / 0-)
Recommended by:dchill, high uintas, Sister Havana, ceriboo, jimbobb, Diogenes2008, ghett, markhaverty, redtex, MooseHB, second alto

by Leigh3352 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:11:40 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

And while we're off topic... (26+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, Lexicon, cmnh, Seattlite, politichic, MT Spaces, carlyle4, Sister Havana, Naniboujou, second gen, adrianrf, Blogvirgin, Scubaval, RedMask, Matrix Dweller, batgirl71, MooseHB, Jaspercat, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth, CandyKat, Observerinvancouver, Dustee, LA Person, shoelady, Yasuragi
...I think Gwen Ifil should get Meet the Press.

by ramara on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:07:33 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Hey Dana & MoDo: when does your FOX gig start? (25+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, zzyzx, TaraIst, gaff98, marjo, mataliandy, WriterRoss, Vicky, TexasLefty, Cyber Kat, Sister Havana, ceriboo, Naniboujou, dmh44, MI Sooner, golconda2, hardtoport, TheOpinionGuy, AussieJo, dragonlilleth, lolynda, axel000, DrFitz, JV in NJ, BlueFranco
I liked Dana Milbank well enough but his little snide column about Obama was a piece of garbage.

If he had any sense of honor and integrity he simply would have admitted his mistake and moved on. 

But no, talk about arrogance.  The great columnist for the WaPo cannot EVER admit error.

And while we are on the topic, how long did it take MoDo of the NYTimes to start running columns on Obama as a effete (translation gay) primping man, with a little shout out to HRC as a nasty conniving witch. 

I keep waiting for her to be clever or original.  I am not going to hold my breath.

And BTW, where is the column about John McCain being brainwashed by the North Vietnamese and his wife being an android extra from "Bladerunner":  oh wait, MoDo doesn't "do" Republicans.

by Tackle on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:33:58 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

It was his audition for FAUX (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:wishingwell

-7.88, -6.72. "Wherever law ends, tyranny begins."--John Locke IMPEACH THE BASTARDS!!!

by caseynm on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 09:35:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

or pressure from the higher ups at the WPo (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo

by nipit on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:20:43 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

I admit I am a bit disturbed by the glee (6+ / 0-)
Recommended by:nicolemm, DemInGeorgia, DeCape Dude, Rick Aucoin, Rorgg, HelenBack
with which many exclaim Mr Milbank goodbye.   One contrary opinion, one mistaken article and he is the devil?

The more I hear the phrase "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" this week, the more I think I (as well as many here), need to heed its wisdom.

I am nowhere near perfect, I would consider myself a hypocrite (or lockstep Republican) to expect it of anyone else.

~father...Father, the sleeper has awakened! ~Dune

by CWalter on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 09:47:43 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Keith makes mistakes too (6+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, WI Dem, goheelsgodems, Amber6541
Then he apologizes.  See the difference?

by UneasyOne on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 03:27:13 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

nope. (0+ / 0-)
glad all of you here ALWAYS apologize for every wrong you do and are therefore perfect.

Wow....didn't know I was in the presence of such perfect people!

Let me bow down to you.....

((kneels))

by CWalter on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:22:02 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

It's a mistake if you apologize (7+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, Timothy J, Neon Mama, Leigh3352, Amber6541
but calling those who point it out whiners is not.  He did not think he did anything wrong.

by sk7326 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 05:12:03 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Millbank was also in on the (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, OutOfManyOne, ceriboo, Serpents Sorrow, Dustee
Edwards haircut smear.  IMO, that tags him as a tool.

public static string McCainResponse(string ObamaAction) { switch (ObamaAction) { default: return "FAUXRAGE!!" } }

by sagra on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:28:25 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

...again...when people on this board (0+ / 0-)
tell you that you are wrong, you immediately apologize and change your POV, right?

Gosh..so many perfect people here. 

Glad I can admit I am not perfect and sometimes don't admit I am wrong when I clearly am.  It's called being human, you might want to try it sometime.

by CWalter on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:29:54 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

If he had said (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, ceriboo
I made a mistake, I was wrong instead of going on about whines, perhaps i would agree with you.

Nothing wrong with being imperfect, it's only when you can't admit that you are that there is a big problem.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

by resa on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:34:12 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

looking at the responses on this board, I think (0+ / 0-)
his call of 'whiners' was correct.

We seriously don't have bigger issues to address?

Dana is small ****...miniscule.  Y'all gonna make him think he is of vital importance if he reads this.

by CWalter on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:26:03 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Dana may be "small sh_t"... (0+ / 0-)
...as you say, but his reckless mistake (recklessness seemingly fostered by a desire to climb on the Obama-bashing bandwagon), his arrogance in refusing to admit and correct his mistake, and his haughty disdain for those who would dare point out the mistake and call for a correction is indicative of the big, honking pile of sh_t that MSM has become.

by Linus Too on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 02:39:17 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Amen to that! n/t (0+ / 0-)

Waiting to be surprised - Zelda Fitzgerald

by stillonline on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:21:24 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

not this but gwen ifil MTP (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:RedMask

by stillonline on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:23:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

how about Ray Saurez? (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:bnldem

Know all your enemies. We know who our enemies are. Stop Eminent Domain Abuse. End Corporate Welfare

by BrooklynBoy on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:31:28 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Amy Goodman and Jim Hightower (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sister Havana, UneasyOne
Should have a show together.

by iburl on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 10:31:33 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Hells no (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, dksbook, adrianrf, golconda2, barkworsethanbite
Her performance in the Vice Presidential debate in 2004 was one of the worst ever. 

I suppose you could argue she deserves a second chance, but the questions she chose for that debate revealed a deeply Beltway Elite mindset.

by dcg2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:43:17 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

nt/ ROFLMAO!!! (at the "Dana's a guy" mix-up) (0+ / 0-)

Time for us DEMOCRATS to take our fight directly to "GET OFF MY JOHN!" McShame. BTW, can a CHIMP, FROG march? Let's find out ... IMPEACH BUSH!!!

by VT ConQuest on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 03:21:47 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Greeeeeat (25+ / 0-)
Recommended by:saraswati, marjo, sfgb, Rudyard, high uintas, TexasLefty, MT Spaces, Joy Busey, Sam the Wolfdog, ceriboo, WI Dem, MI Sooner, jedennis, Neon Mama, adrianrf, dotster, golconda2, RedMask, hardtoport, ghett, MooseHB, myelinate, Leigh3352, hakunamatata, DrFitz
he should not have been back on for his obvious lies. Keep up the good work Countdown & high standards.

by Papillion on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:39:22 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

dana is a guy (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:basilbeast, dragonlilleth
my email to him was replied with a "whine". Sorry, Dana, the first rule of a good journalist is the ability to admit a mistake. We'll miss you --- sort of.

by mlsinco on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:39:37 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Not. (0+ / 0-)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

by resa on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:34:40 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

okay I'll give her that one. (9+ / 0-)
Recommended by:oslo, 3goldens, blueyedace2, triciawyse, trashablanca, ER Doc, Wordie, Diogenes2008, LogicaLizE
But I really did have to change the station when she was talking to Pena today. She really irked me.

by Leigh3352 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:26:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

"Even a blind hog (37+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, miasmo, TaraIst, RFK Lives, dnamj, retLT, Black Max, 3goldens, blueyedace2, triciawyse, ladybug53, Joy Busey, Cyber Kat, ZinZen, trashablanca, SharaiP, ceriboo, WI Dem, Wordie, jayden, Bridge Master, MadAsHellMaddie, Neon Mama, adrianrf, Happy Days, ProgMa57, Diogenes2008, Bule Betawi, Buck Power, MooseHB, conlakappa, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, panAmerican, Vacationland, hakunamatata, Artchess
finds an acorn every once in a while" - my grandmother's favorite saying, and probably applicable to Adrea's one shining moment of truth here.  Still, at least she did it - too many others just swallowed it and spread the lie.

by geordie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:29:35 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Today on Hardball (160+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, Baseballgirl, Ducktape, Yosef 52, Ray Radlein, slinkerwink, Bear, askew, miasmo, TaraIst, lrhoke, TrueBlueMajority, nicolemm, saraswati, ScientistMom in NY, bliss149, byteb, kpardue, cotterperson, gaff98, Lufah, theran, dnamj, auapplemac, DWKING, opinionated, joynow, Nellcote, BlackGriffen, sfgb, peace voter, oslo, wishingwell, Miss Blue, lilnubber, rioduran, hypertexas, high uintas, CocoaLove, webweaver, Dallasdoc, defluxion10, The Termite, monkee, Vicky, TexasLefty, gsbadj, 3goldens, IamtheReason, DianeNYS, bellevie, blueyedace2, basilbeast, MasterHurrikane, leckavrea, mjd in florida, triciawyse, MT Spaces, ChemBob, Pam from Calif, CWalter, Shaking the Tree, mojavefog, ZinZen, Sister Havana, curiousted, trashablanca, lovelylight, Do Tell, Fasaha, Sam the Wolfdog, 417els, ceriboo, greenearth, Potus2020, ER Doc, Andy30tx, Coffee Geek, Timothy J, frankzappatista, kurious, AllanTBG, anotherdemocrat, nipit, dmh44, crankyinNYC, Melchuck29, DvCM, LillithMc, BobTrips, MI Sooner, jayden, jedennis, Bridge Master, ImpeachKingBushII, Clipper, adrianrf, dotster, OleHippieChick, liberalactivist, golconda2, MiniGram, sandav, evora, smartdemmg, ankey, Blogvirgin, DixieDishrag, Guadalupe59, immigradvocate, Diogenes2008, GrouchoKossak, RedMask, Bule Betawi, Independant Man, Texanomaly, ghett, greylox, Baldur, Jdories, SciVo, markhaverty, TheOpinionGuy, sarashina nikki, MooseHB, OffHerRocker, Nonconformist, Sleepwalkr, Dragon5616, MizKit, myelinate, loveendures, Tricky, Emalene, KMonique, sophistry makes me tired, TruthandTrust, MariaWr, mjanem, foufou, panAmerican, stuck in a red state, Yumn, Tnemagnolia, larryww, gramofsam1, CandyKat, georgia gal, galaxy quest, on board 47, mollyk, hakunamatata, blueisis, alieninamerica, calichristi, Artchess, axel000, DrFitz, jim283, farbuska
Andrea once again repeated how McCain's ad was a lie and that McCain's honor is being tarnished.
She and Roger Simon took mcCain to the woodshed for the Brittany ad.

I wish folks would back off Andrea a bit around here. She has been about the only reporter lately to show some backbone.

by Hawkjt on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:31:00 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Yeah, it's weird. (48+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, Ducktape, slinkerwink, miasmo, TaraIst, bliss149, gaff98, dnamj, BlackGriffen, peace voter, oslo, The Termite, IamtheReason, MT Spaces, ChemBob, Joy Busey, Shaking the Tree, ZinZen, Sister Havana, trashablanca, ceriboo, ER Doc, Timothy J, WI Dem, frankzappatista, dmh44, Bridge Master, UneasyOne, Clipper, adrianrf, dotster, golconda2, Virginia mom, Bule Betawi, Texanomaly, ghett, MooseHB, Nonconformist, myelinate, Leigh3352, Emalene, foufou, panAmerican, Yumn, barkworsethanbite, Dustee, blueisis, axel000
She was just as careless as the rest of them for so long. Don't find the truth: Just tell both sides and call it "being fair." Now, all of a sudden, she's calling the truth out on people. I'm really shocked by the change.

by Bush Bites on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:38:25 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

if there is any perception (19+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, gpclay, zzyzx, gaff98, dksbook, jsmagid, ceriboo, Naniboujou, dmh44, Seneca Doane, Neon Mama, golconda2, RDMS1983, Lava20, stillonline, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth, Yumn, axel000
that she's 'turning' for any journalistic or posterity-type reasons, forget it.  She's just pissed at her fellow chattering media class... the one she and others like her has worked with so hard to spread the falsehoods, narratives, memes and other crap at the bequest of the highest bidders (and government)...

She's upset they've all been using Uncle Alan as the sub-prime, recession, economic slowdown pinata...

She's mad at the larry kudlow/heritage/wall street journal ass clowns who for years pushed for more largess to the barrons at the expense of the taxpayers only to turn on him when they now have to admit their complicity in the financial disaster we've all been hiding in the closet since the 70's and 80's.

she's but one of the thousands that make up our fine chattering class... brought on to make sure 'murkins' think exactly what the bozos in charge want them to think...

She's now pissed at them throwning her husband under the bus after his years of his obedient service in trying to keep their teetering stack of blocks from toppling over.

sorry for the rant.

by jackemoe on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:08:55 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Not need to apologize! (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, dmh44
Rant on.

Democracy is a contact sport...

by jsmagid on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:00:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

thanks for the insight n/t (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, dmh44

by stillonline on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:26:12 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

dunno- she's still doing the 'both sides are so (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, UneasyOne
negative" thing- and truthfully, I don't think Obama has been.   She gave McCain's clown Davis a long opportunity to continue to rave against Obama and the best she could come up with was 'why are both camps so negative'?

by brueso on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 11:45:16 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

fightin words (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, ceriboo, Neon Mama
I'm noticing that lately terms used to describe Obama have taken much more negative turn.  His willingness to compromise is "hiding behind" "backed away"  More and more the terms used infer cowardice.  I don't know if it's a deliberate - but it's deadly.  The swift boat attacks would never have worked if the MSM hadn't "softened" Kerry's image.  They're back!  Each time they use a loaded adjective - they demean him. 

I think we need to find a list of terms to apply to McCain.  Subtle terms that begin a new narrative.

Last night Andrea Mitchell was making excuses for McCain.  She said that the John McCain she knows would not use such tactics.  That he must really believe that Obama snubbed the troops. She thinks that he must not be aware that some of his charges about Obama are false.  That he must be in a campaign bubble. 

HUM...... like he's "brainwashed"? 

by stillonline on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:24:14 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Exactly- John McCain was lying during the Primary (1+ / 0-)
and doing to Romney what Bush did to him in 2000. McCain just didn't change overnight! He's made a concerted effor to side with Bush and the Neo-Cons for at least 3 years on almost everything. Perhaps the McCain of 2000 was a mirage?

You are so on target about the excuses they all make for McCain as though he were one of the "mentally challenged kids"- what is up with that and we should all do something about it. Urge the the media to be honest about BOTH candidates. McCain changes a position he held for 26 years last month on drilling and the media says boo. Obama merely discusses a possible compromise to include a teeny tiny little bit of drilling in order to pass a HUGE COMPREHENSIVE ENERGY BILL- all the while reiterating that he's not in favor of drillign and doesn't think it will affect oil prices even in the LT and the media reacts as though he "has no principles!" So unfair.

by Ellie the Kat on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 02:18:46 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

no apologize necessary----right on (1+ / 0-)

by nipit on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:24:18 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Ok, well explain this please: (52+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, slinkerwink, miasmo, TaraIst, kpardue, Mnemosyne, theran, Creosote, dnamj, opinionated, peace voter, mrblifil, retLT, WriterRoss, Cedwyn, dksbook, nancelot, The Termite, annetteboardman, Vicky, 3goldens, Cyber Kat, Shaking the Tree, Sam the Wolfdog, ceriboo, Naniboujou, greenearth, Libby Shaw, Timothy J, kurious, Nespolo, flumptytail, Bridge Master, UneasyOne, adrianrf, ProgMa57, Blogvirgin, shortgirl, jodygirl, markhaverty, batgirl71, sarashina nikki, MooseHB, Nonconformist, loveendures, Leigh3352, Emalene, kfd313, dragonlilleth, Yumn, DrFitz, Dems in 08
Truly a Kuhnian moment. John McCain is so honorable and straight-shooting that the only explanation for his campaign's headlong dive into sleaze, xenophobia and gonzo bamboozlement is that McCain is so out of it and controlled by his advisors that he doesn't actually know what they're doing in his name.

(Just the kind of guy who should be president, right?)

That's the upshot of the brief exchange Andrea Mitchell, Roger Simon and Mike Barnicle just had on Hardball. Special thanks to TPM Reader MC for flagging it for us. We'll have the video for you shortly.

TPM

Why does God love Barack Obama?

~Jon Stewart commenting on the oil spill/hurricane that caused McC[ompl]ain to cancel visit to oil rig.

by Muzikal203 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:39:33 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I heard that also. (25+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, TaraIst, dnamj, high uintas, annetteboardman, rlharry, Vicky, 3goldens, Cyber Kat, Shaking the Tree, ceriboo, Timothy J, kurious, adrianrf, Oxy, Scubaval, Bule Betawi, ghett, MooseHB, Leigh3352, TruthandTrust, MariaWr, HelenBack, Dustee, lolynda
And you know what? I think it is a very damning statement about McCain that clearly accuses McCain of being willing to throw that honor down the drain at the behest of his evil handlers.

I do think McCain was a different cat back in 2000... but now has sold his soul for a victory and that is what simon and mitchell were saying.

by Hawkjt on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:04:57 PM PDT

[ Parent ]
Report Spam   Logged
Kristina
Atlantean Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:50:24 am »

McCain played the maverick moderate in '00 (63+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, gpclay, slinkerwink, TaraIst, Lexicon, sfgb, mrblifil, retLT, Rudyard, webweaver, Vicky, 3goldens, DianeNYS, slamkitty, fireflynw, Cyber Kat, Denny in Seattle, elliott, smythy, ceriboo, Naniboujou, greenearth, AnnCetera, Timothy J, WI Dem, Batbird, phonegery, goheelsgodems, dmh44, bfbenn, yowsta, flumptytail, dww44, UneasyOne, ImpeachKingBushII, Neon Mama, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, golconda2, mayim, Serpents Sorrow, Virginia mom, Scubaval, wv voice of reason, RDMS1983, Rick Aucoin, ginnyh532, last patriot left, markhaverty, unspeakable, batgirl71, MooseHB, Lava20, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, TruthandTrust, MariaWr, Observerinvancouver, HelenBack, Dustee, axel000, DrFitz, debbieleft
b/c W had already nailed down all of the True Believers (TB's).  This time around, McCain's picked up the TB's, but he's still trying to play the moderate at the same time.  I'm not sure anyone could pull off that quinela, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that he's not that guy.

If I ran Obama's campaign, I'd hammer McCain's 95% pro-W voting record relenlessly.  I'd hammer in the morning and in the evening, all over this land.  I'd also run the picture of him hugging W and the picture of them hamming it up w/ the b-day cake while NOLA was drowning.

Make sure that every sentient being in the US knows that McCain has spent the last 8 years as a toady to W.  In doing so, you'll not only undercut McCain's "moderate" credentials, you'll set his temper off, too.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I see things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:17:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

100000 recs for you (10+ / 0-)
Recommended by:RFK Lives, ceriboo, dmh44, flumptytail, Neon Mama, adrianrf, wv voice of reason, ginnyh532, Nonconformist, Leigh3352
From your mouth to Obama's ears please!!!

Politics is like driving...if you want to go backwards, choose R. If you want to move forward, choose D.

by fireflynw on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:11:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

You are so right! n/t (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:RFK Lives, ceriboo, dmh44, Leigh3352

by Observerinvancouver on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:35:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

McCain: "Act of Political Cowardice" in 2000 (16+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, AaronInSanDiego, TaraIst, nancelot, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, WI Dem, Neon Mama, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, Serpents Sorrow, MooseHB, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, axel000, DrFitz
Actually, McCain hasn't changed all that much from 2000, when after the Primary, he admitted to knowingly "sacrifice...principle for personal ambition:" 

"...Former GOP presidential candidate John McCain called for the removal of the Confederate battle flag from atop the South Carolina Statehouse on Wednesday, acknowledging that his refusal to take such a stance during his primary battle for the Palmetto State was a "sacrifice of principle for personal ambition..."   

In a Feb. 18, 2000 article, Salon asked the question:  Is John McCain a Crook? The article goes on to detail McCain's long personal relationship with Keating.

IMHO, because he was less cranky in 2000, the press was even less willing than they are now to focus on McCain's less than "honorable" stands and past "issues".

by kurious on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:23:08 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Reced for Keating ties (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, kurious, Serpents Sorrow

McCain housing policy shaped by lobbyist

by Nonconformist on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 10:42:37 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I think this is the true McCain. I think the (10+ / 0-)
Recommended by:nicolemm, WriterRoss, Cedwyn, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, Naniboujou, UneasyOne, Neon Mama, Serpents Sorrow, dragonlilleth
whole straight talk image is just that, an image.  No one who truly valued "straight talk" could tell as many lies a week as McCain does now and look himself in the mirror.

If you have a Republican Sec. of State start a voter registration certification drive in your area. Reverse the purge.

by Blogvirgin on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:12:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Amen - "Straight talk" was a brand - (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, ceriboo, Neon Mama, Serpents Sorrow
a campaign slogan.

So was "Maverick."  It was a scam!

The classic example was his "principled stand" against torture.  He beat that drum in the press for weeks getting tons of free favorable media coverage, endless recounting of his claim to fame as a POW - then quietly sold out completely!

He voted for the "compromise" that pushed the torture into the CIA and then voted against a ban on CIA torture!  Somehow his main constituency (the press) has never called him to task for that vote!

This is why his Republican colleagues hate his guts.  He makes a huge and public fuss over something they would rather keep a low profile about, and then - reliably and quietly - sells it out.  He has run this same scam repeatedly and the press never gets tired of it.

McCain Feingold?  Election reform?  Don't make me laugh.  That was about distracting attention from the fact that he was Keating's lapdog.  Did it clean up the electoral process?  Are you kidding me?

by UneasyOne on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 03:44:54 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Straight talk: Just get it done! ... (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, ceriboo, Leigh3352
Don't think about nuance, consequences, or human suffering: just do it! Don't talk about it, just do it!

What a load of crap this type of thinking is: nothing but impatient 5 yr old egotistical idiocy. Yet, in my experience, this is your typical male republican voter in a nutshell.

My wife's awesome Gardening blog: Busy Bee's Garden!

by Serpents Sorrow on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:01:19 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

"McCain out of it, video at 11:00" (8+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Cedwyn, Clzwld, ceriboo, WI Dem, Bule Betawi, MooseHB, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth
'Much too late for him to stay up to see, so we'll just have to assume he doesn't know, so pity the poor fool, he's not a mean hypocritical bastard, he's just a poor old clown, the dupe of his evil puppetmasters, er, handlers...'

Mrs Greenspan is quite something.

by Uncle Moji on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:06:14 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

No explanation needed. It speaks for (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Cedwyn, ceriboo, Neon Mama, MooseHB, Leigh3352
itself.  Kinda like Reagan and Iran Contra:  either he knew or he didn't.  Either way, it reflects badly on him.

Why does John McCain hate kids?

by Fasaha on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:24:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

don' get me started on Barnicle (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss, ceriboo, Neon Mama, Muzikal203, dragonlilleth
He spend one hour showing the misprinted pic of Obama and  Craig and saying "Swish!"  When he gets together with Buchanan - it's like the Nazi hour. 

by stillonline on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:29:51 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I remember his plagiarizing arse (1+ / 0-)
from the Boston Globe days.  How do folks keep ending up employed.

by sk7326 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 05:13:10 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

When I Heard this Live today... (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TaraIst, ceriboo, goheelsgodems
I wondered WHY in light of all we know do they keep aw-shucksing McCain and letting him GET AWAY with his LIES AND MORE LIES? Aw he didn't mean it, aw he didn't know what he was doing, it's his handlers not him...

WHY DO THEY LET HIM GET AWAY WITH MURDER?

Damn!

"George Bush Doesn't Care About People"

by WriterRoss on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 02:39:33 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

**You can't be a total BEEYOTCH for years and (7+ / 0-)
Recommended by:oslo, UneasyOne, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth, Observerinvancouver, Dustee
expect candy and flowers just because you occasionally have a kind word.

She'll have to prove she's capaple of extended truth-telling before she gets the benefit of my doubt.

**Yeah, I'm mad! I've been paying attention.

by greylox on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:27:42 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

baby steps (10+ / 0-)
Recommended by:dksbook, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, TheOpinionGuy, MooseHB, stillonline, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth
every bloviator that comes back from the dark side must be welcome and cherish, remember for a long time the only one in our side was KO and  Rachel M., A.Mitchell is particularly welcome b/c she is in every show and she is part of the "village" so her effect is multiplied.

Many on the "village" are grappling to the fact that JSM is not the lovable moderate that they peddled to the masses for a decade and the ways many are dealing with it include:

Denial, nothing to see here, 99% of the "village" is playing ostrich now
Disgust, see Joe Klein, Gergen
Surprise, see Alterman.
Pissed, see A. Mitchell

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -- Mahatma Gandhi

by IamTheJudge on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:59:45 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Yeah, but... (8+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss, gsbadj, Naniboujou, adrianrf, Leigh3352, kfd313, dragonlilleth, axel000
Yeah but then she went on to argue that McCain must've been "misinformed by his people" regarding the lies his campaign has been putting out, like he's just too busy with the rigors of campaigning to know what's really happening in the world.  He has to rely on what his people tell him.  And if they lie to him about something that Obama did or didn't do or say, and then they make a commercial that regurgitates that lie and then Old Man John says "I approve of this ad" at the end, well, it's not his fault.  He's a man of honor surrounded by dishonorable men acting in his name.  I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of Mrs. Greenspan's apologia for poor poor misunderstood McCain.

by rmasher2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:34:02 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

yes but, (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss
the most damning thing of all is that she and Simon's actually intimated that McCain's a puppet! Rove's puppet. That was a shocking moment, I watched it and gasped. The MSM must pick this up, it's actually a huge story, HUGE! And very very scary...we could have another puppet president.  Who's actually  in power, who constitutes the cabal?

by dragonlilleth on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 09:40:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

my Republican husband (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, Neon Mama, mayim
has tried the "it's not McCain, it's his people/campaign/staff" line with me several times.  The response that ALWAYS shuts him up: "I'm John McCain and I approved this message."  Which is it -- he's completely lying, or he's completely out of it?

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. --Mark Twain

by goheelsgodems on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:49:14 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

other than KO you mean... (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:nicolemm, MooseHB

by GUGA on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:58:50 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

don't tell anyone, but (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:OleHippieChick
I have a secret crust on Andrea... I know it's wierd.

by galaxy quest on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:25:05 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

As long as "crust" isn't a typo. :-P (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss, goheelsgodems, Seneca Doane

Passenger on the long train of abuses.

by OleHippieChick on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 01:53:26 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Well... (0+ / 0-)
I wish folks would back off Andrea a bit around here.

I'm not backing off, but I am leery.

McCain housing policy shaped by lobbyist

by Nonconformist on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 10:36:14 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

She's probably under the mistaken impression (0+ / 0-)
that they have a choice.  You know, like people would actually vote Republican if they didn't go the fear-smear-omg-queers! route.

public static string McCainResponse(string ObamaAction) { switch (ObamaAction) { default: return "FAUXRAGE!!" } }

by sagra on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:31:47 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Andrea should NOT keep defending McCain (0+ / 0-)
as "better than his campaign" and ill-served y his advisors.  Do read the following: http://www.capitolhillblue.com/...

by Carthage on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:14:44 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

I had a different reaction. (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, Vicky, dww44, Leigh3352, kfd313
I thought she was asking your standard questions, almost like lobbing softballs, and giving Pena a chance to knock them out of the park.  As to whether he took full advantage, well....

Sometimes I think the surrogates that should be on TV should be the well-versed bloggers who'd know exactly how to knock these insinuations out of the park.

How to debunk the Right's lies on global warming

by BruinKid on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:03:50 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

All journalists will not please you all the time. (6+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Vicky, DianeNYS, basilbeast, CWalter, TheOpinionGuy, Leigh3352
Andrea was the strongest voice calling McSame out for his lie about not visiting the troops. IIRC, she was the first to call foul, at the very least she had the strongest cred and put her reputation out to do it.

No, she isn't perfect, but no one is. I do thank her for that, I imagine that she knows him personally and that call may have cost her a friendship. It's when the stuff is on the line that actions speak the loudest.

Edwards Democrat voting for Obama would like to remind you, "Concentration Moon, over the camp in the valley" Frank Zappa knew.

by high uintas on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:28:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I agree,changed my opinion nt (0+ / 0-)

by revgerry on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:49:04 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

WP has lots of Dana's: easy mistake (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Rudyard, basilbeast, stillonline
For instance, there's Dana Priest (female) who busted open the Walter Reed mess with Anne Hull.

Perhaps the WP should require staff writers with sexually ambiguous names to change their bylines to clarify matters...

Examples:

McCain reveals his close personal relationship with Satan

by Dana Milbank
(male) staff writer

Or

Coulter's adam's apple revealed to be cybernetic terrorist spy device

by Dana Priest
(female) staff writer

It would reduce confusion, anyway...

by grahamcstrouse on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 07:20:47 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Yeah (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Neon Mama
And then when she did a 13 minute interview with McCain's campaign manager last week she didn't ask a single question about that slur and instead asked this softball (paraphrased):  "so are you now trying to question Obama's patriotism.  Is that your schtick?". 

It's nice to point out one time that something is false, but if you aren't demanding accountability of those who debase our political discourse, you aren't doing your job.

by dcg2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:41:38 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Andrea has redeemed herself (106+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Ducktape, Yosef 52, slinkerwink, Bear, miasmo, TaraIst, TrueBlueMajority, nicolemm, mattman, maineiac, bliss149, kpardue, loveaustin, John Campanelli, celdd, HighSticking, Creosote, chipoliwog, opinionated, missLotus, pattisigh, buckhorn okie, oslo, badlands, Miss Blue, betson08, The Termite, monkee, Vicky, gsbadj, historys mysteries, marina, 3goldens, Treg, DianeNYS, bellevie, Ckntfld, basilbeast, MT Spaces, Pam from Calif, CWalter, Tex Kosmaniac Dem Lady, ZinZen, lovelylight, Fasaha, Sam the Wolfdog, mr crabby, greenearth, Andy30tx, joshc123, Coffee Geek, Timothy J, BB10, frankzappatista, ryaninnj, AllanTBG, Wordie, Jaleh, dmh44, IsThisOverYet, jds1978, jimbobb, Bridge Master, ImpeachKingBushII, adrianrf, Involuntary Exile, Fiona West, beltane, evora, CeeusBeeus, Pastry Assassin, Scubaval, Rhysling, artmartin, Neon Vincent, CarrieNYC, jodygirl, SciVo, batgirl71, TheOpinionGuy, sarashina nikki, MooseHB, OffHerRocker, Massconfusion, Nonconformist, Sleepwalkr, MizKit, Sarahsaturn, Tricky, Leigh3352, Emalene, choochmac, TruthandTrust, dragonlilleth, LaughingPlanet, Tnemagnolia, larryww, Dustee, okiemann, expatinparis, alieninamerica, pinkomommy, axel000, apip0115, aggie98, farbuska
She really has. She had Barack's back so many times during last week's Bullshit-fest. She defended him on the Britney ad, on the race card stuff, on the Troop visit and etc, etc. She's been really great actually, for whatever reason.

I trust Barack Obama.

by jenontheshore on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:24:04 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I know...it's...scaaary... (13+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Ducktape, peace voter, buckhorn okie, oslo, betson08, historys mysteries, 3goldens, MT Spaces, Brooke In Seattle, Sam the Wolfdog, Involuntary Exile, LaughingPlanet, AxmxZ

McCain insisted [no union member] would [pick lettuce for $50/hour] for a complete season. "You can't do it, my friends."

by grrr on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:28:58 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Maybe her husband has informed her (32+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, zzyzx, XOVER, TrueBlueMajority, nicolemm, sharman, oslo, grrr, Tirge Caps, joanneleon, jabney, bellevie, LeighAnn, Shliapnikov, Andy30tx, Timothy J, phonegery, dmh44, dww44, BobTrips, adrianrf, mayim, Neon Vincent, TheOpinionGuy, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, TruthandTrust, Alohilani, lcarr23, Observerinvancouver, Dustee, farbuska
that, for capitalism to continue to hobble along, you have to bring in a Democrat every few administrations to clean up the mess. Of course the point is to save the system so there's something left for Republicans to loot and pillage when they get back in. A third Bush term would probably drive the car all the way off the cliff.

Chomsky Fever! John McCain sucks.

by miasmo on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:14:37 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I'd like to believe that (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:oslo, Shliapnikov, Leigh3352, Alohilani
but that would imply he would have the humility to understand what a parasite he is. I can't see it.

McCain insisted [no union member] would [pick lettuce for $50/hour] for a complete season. "You can't do it, my friends."

by grrr on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:46:12 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Oh Pulease! (7+ / 0-)
Recommended by:mattman, mrblifil, dclawyer06, Seneca Doane, MadAsHellMaddie, Leigh3352, Sam James
She's the **** bride of Frankenstein.

Overnight News Digest Midnight. Every night. Get smart. Be there.

by Pluto on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:29:07 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Nope. Sorry. (43+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TaraIst, bliss149, billlaurelMD, kpardue, chipoliwog, DWKING, oslo, high uintas, resa, Vicky, CWalter, Cory Bantic, ZinZen, lovelylight, ceriboo, joshc123, Timothy J, Jaleh, politicalget, BobTrips, Bridge Master, Clipper, adrianrf, Involuntary Exile, mayim, CeeusBeeus, 1BQ, Independant Man, Neon Vincent, jenontheshore, pvlb, TheOpinionGuy, Nonconformist, Sleepwalkr, Colorado Billy, TruthandTrust, LaughingPlanet, Tnemagnolia, gramofsam1, lolynda, LA Person, aggie98, justohio
Just because you insist on holding grudges doesn't mean the rest of us have to. Andrea Mitchell stood on the right side of an issue and pushed back while everyone else just went with the flow. Right now I'll take whatever we can get to help us weather this media induced storm.

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, your name must be Barack Obama.

by eclecticbrotha on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:41:37 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Then, We Shall Disagree (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, Mlle Orignalmale, frankzappatista, Seneca Doane, Leigh3352
I am trained to recognize a subversive unit. Every word out of her mouth is meant to demoralize progressive values.

I give her points for having succeeded in this instance.

by Pluto on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:47:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

she's playing for access in case barack wins. her (9+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TrueBlueMajority, peace voter, mrblifil, oslo, flatford39, adrianrf, Neon Vincent, dragonlilleth, Yumn
hubby will get her access if McLame wins, and she's got automatic access by being on major network

ha ha ha ha

'news' -

this is just smart strategy -

IF barack wins, on 5 Nov who'll be the first in line from the scum 'journalist' pack? somebody who went to bat for him when things looked bleak?

rmm.

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous

by seabos84 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:01:50 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

So? If access the coin of the realm, spend (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TruthandTrust, Yumn, Observerinvancouver
on.

Why does John McCain hate kids?

by Fasaha on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:26:18 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

& when does she turn on barack? 'friends' like (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Leigh3352
these, who needs enemies?

I may be reading between the lines incorrectly, but many of these 'yeah andrea' posts look pretty naive -

people like mitchell NEVER do anything for anyone unless there is somethign big in it for them.

I'll take any help I can get, that doesn't mean I'm handing them my bank access codes.

rmm.

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous

by seabos84 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:12:11 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I'll take whatever we can get too... (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, oslo, Vicky, Leigh3352
Not gonna hold my breath that she won't revert to type.  But, she just might be thinking about the future, and trying to play both ends.  And if in doing that, she does so decent reporting, well kudos to the reporting.

Grandma Jo

by JWC on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:59:47 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I agree... (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Vicky, adrianrf, TheOpinionGuy, Leigh3352
Some people **** when she acts like a flack, and the SAME people **** when she does the stand up thing.

You can't complain about the reporting, only to complain about the reporting when the reporting changes.

Sheesh...

Say thanks, and wait 'til she does the RW freak out thing again, then **** some more.  This kind of response (not you eclecticbrotha) certainly won't do a thing for keeping her on the straight and narrow.

*grumble*

Some men weave their sophistry till their own reason is entangled. ~Samuel Johnson

by sophistry makes me tired on Mon
Report Spam   Logged
Kristina
Atlantean Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:52:15 am »

they should be reporting the facts... (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Rudyard, Pluto, TheOpinionGuy
not extrapolating bullshit out of midair which is exactly what they are doing most of the time.  Newsflash "ANDREA MITCHELL TOLD THE TRUTH!".  It really says something about the state of our media that this is something to be rewarded and out-of-the-norm.  That used to be their job.  Tonight she was feeling blue b/c these ads and attacks aren't representative of the good ole Johnny she knows and loves.  Thanks for sharing, Andrea.  Sorry, I clearly watch too much bullshit and I have cut almost all of it out, but not enough to have left me unbitter or unjaded.

by jodygirl on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:30:33 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Hey. Below the belt. (6+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Canadian Reader, nicolemm, Lexicon, CWalter, Pluto, DrFitz
No, pun intended.  Can we stay away from sex when we don't agree with a woman?  Not that I'm saying you're sexist. 

I'd just prefer if we'd disagree on issues and not mix sex with the un-dead with our politics.

A country without a memory is a country of madmen. -- George Santayana

by bkamr on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:27:04 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Speaking of Which... (0+ / 0-)
...I always flash on necrophilia when I think of Andrea.

by Pluto on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 07:59:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

You bring up her gender? Can't you just judge on (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:CWalter
merit? Sorry.

Edwards Democrat voting for Obama would like to remind you, "Concentration Moon, over the camp in the valley" Frank Zappa knew.

by high uintas on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:38:49 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Gender? (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Neon Vincent
In California -- anyone can be a bride, regardless of what's between their legs ;-)

by Pluto on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 07:57:36 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

frankenstein was more straighforeward (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Neon Vincent, Leigh3352
I think Greenspan is more the blooddrinker type.

fact does not require fiction for balance

by mollyd on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:53:22 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I Shouldf Have Said.... (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:mollyd, yowsta, Neon Vincent, last patriot left
...the "**** bride of Frankenspan."

by Pluto on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 07:58:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

She has NOT redeemed herself (16+ / 0-)
Recommended by:James Earl, TaraIst, Richard Cranium, peace voter, Mlle Orignalmale, mrblifil, LeftOverAmerica, Do Tell, seabos84, Uncle Moji, Seneca Doane, whirled peas, jodygirl, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, CandyKat
even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Why does God love Barack Obama?

~Jon Stewart commenting on the oil spill/hurricane that caused McC[ompl]ain to cancel visit to oil rig.

by Muzikal203 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:30:52 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Exactly my thought, Muzikal' n/t (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, Uncle Moji, Leigh3352

I have always resented that the artist should be relegated by the politician to a place with no voice in political or human affairs. -- Errol Flynn

by Mlle Orignalmale on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:52:45 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Tuzla stands out... (8+ / 0-)
Recommended by:askew, 3goldens, DarkestHour, Neon Mama, adrianrf, TheOpinionGuy, Lava20, Observerinvancouver
The bruhaha about Tuzla stands out as a moment when Mrs. Greenspan missed an early opportunity to set the record straight.

You may recall that Mrs. Greenspan was on the helicopter & accompanied then-First Lady Clinton on her trip to Tuzla.

Greenspan stayed mum about Mrs. Clinton's tall Tuzla sniper-fire yarn until long after footage was released which demonstrated that Hillary had lied - big time.

Andrea only spoke out when she could no longer stay silent.

She missed a golden opportunity to set the record straight - when it would have meant something.

Now, she just seems to be cozying up to power - I'm sure that she want access to our next president.

````
peace

U.S. Mayors to Congress: "Pass H.R. 676 NOW"

by peace voter on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:20:32 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

She still believed then that her ticket to the WH (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter
will be punched by HRC,

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -- Mahatma Gandhi

by IamTheJudge on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:01:25 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Correct. If you look deep enough... (10+ / 0-)
Recommended by:shpilk, Creosote, peace voter, NonnyO, AntKat, Neon Mama, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, Nonconformist, Leigh3352
...you can find self-servicing motives in just about everything these regulars do. The reporters are looking for their next promotion, their employers are looking for more revenue.

It's just further evidence that the Media is:

Harmful If Swallowed

• • Get Your John McCain - NOPE T-Shirts & Stickers

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/4/174920/2691/934/562486
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum