Atlantis Arisen
March 28, 2024, 11:49:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dino-Killing Asteroid Traced to Cosmic Collision
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070905_killer_asteroid.html

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Jordan and Co. re-live that first championship season — 1991

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jordan and Co. re-live that first championship season — 1991  (Read 58 times)
Michael Terranova
Atlantean King

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:22:46 am »

Jordan and Co. re-live that first championship season — 1991

Crew reunites for 1 night in celebration of the 1st of Bulls' 6 NBA titles

The 1991 Bulls championship team poses with their NBA Championship trophy. (Chris Sweda, Chicago Tribune / March 12, 2011)

Phil Jackson By K.C. Johnson, Tribune reporter

9:28 p.m. CST, March 12, 2011
E-mail Print Share  Text Size ct-spt-0313-title-bulls-jazz-chicago-20110312
The roars still resonated. The trophy still glistened.

But when the 20th anniversary celebration of the Bulls' first championship ended Saturday night and the players and coaches assembled in a small hallway off the court, Michael Jordan stirred the senses yet again as he shifted the focus from the past to the present.

"I was just talking to Pax and those guys upstairs and said, 'You guys can be the best team in the East if you play the type of basketball you guys have been playing,'" Jordan said. "I don't think it will take them seven years to win one. I hope not. They have a good balanced team.

"I think they have the MVP of the league. That kid (Derrick Rose) has come into his own. He has matured quite a bit. … He has very few flaws.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need basic training in SEO and social media? Sign up for 435 Digital seminars at Tribune Tower >>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everybody is talking about Boston and Miami and Orlando. But people tend to forget about Chicago. You can have a lot of work on your hands."

The league learned that as well 20 years ago when Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, John Paxson and company stormed past the Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals and downed the Lakers 4-1 for a raucous celebration. Though the homecourt then was the old Chicago Stadium, the United Center rocked to life like the old barn.

"Thanks to the organization for bringing back a memory we wanted to live one more time," Pippen said. "Thanks for sticking with us back in the '90s. It was a great journey."

Former broadcaster Jim Durham navigated the trip down memory lane, introducing the entire coaching staff and 12 players to thunderous applause. Assistant coach Johnny Bach represented the coaches. Busy with the Lakers, Phil Jackson offered his remembrances via videotape.

All players but Bill Cartwright and B.J. Armstrong attended. Pippen and Jordan were introduced last, though Durham's words were drowned out. In a classy move, coach Tom Thibodeau brought the current team back on the court.

In a classier move, Jordan wished broadcaster Johnny "Red" Kerr, who passed away two years ago, could have been there.

"He was just as much a part of this team as anyone else," Jordan said.

In his remarks to the crowd, Jordan acknowledged the night's blowout of the Jazz.

"You look at this team tonight; you guys are in store for a lot more championships," he said.

In the hallway, Jordan grew nostalgic.

"Some guys I haven't seen in awhile," he said. "Dennis Hopson, I hadn't seen since 1991. For us to reunite and tell old stories brings back a lot of great memories. I wish we could turn the clock back. That's how I feel. Father Time is coming, touches everybody. I miss it.

"I saw parts of the old Stadium floor which brought back a lot of great memories. … I could sit here and reminisce all day long. I'm glad I had the opportunity to make my career here. The fans appreciated the hard work and effort we put on the floor. I played for them."

Grant, too, acknowledged the fans, and his teammates.

"We knew we had a bunch of special guys but learning how to play together and trusting each other, that was the biggest thing," he said.

As he walked away, Jordan donned his Charlotte Bobcats' executive hat and smiled about Rose.

"If you guys don't want him, we'll take him," he said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0313-title-bulls-jazz-chicago-20110312,0,4166341.story

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Michael Terranova
Atlantean King

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:24:29 am »

The roars still resonated. The trophy still glistened

Chicago.Slim at 12:26 PM March 13, 2011
Great memories.   My hair was still brown.
Report Abuse
  0   0   
 SteveDJ34 at 11:37 AM March 13, 2011
Nothing matches that first one.  I'll never forget the partying at Division/State St.  I was there.  Incredi-Bull!!

Thanks for the memories!!
Report Abuse
  1   0   
 Bashir at 10:25 AM March 13, 2011
Wow! GREAT to see all these guys....Cliff "Good News" Levingston!! Hahaha! Where did they find him?? Awesome! I'm a basketball fan, college and pro, I watch it all. However in both the college and pro games I've never had as much fun watching as I did during the 90s. Boy! What a bunch of characters the League had back then!! Villains, jesters, heroes, lazy bums, enforcers, guys who were big lumbering behemoths with few skills, guys who could shoot from 40 feet away and the ball wouldn't touch the net! Sniff! I miss you guys! Wish them all the best! Thank you for entertaining me for over a decade!!
Report Abuse
  1   0   
 Bjks7239 at 9:38 AM March 13, 2011
Thank you in advance Derrick
Report Abuse
  0   0   
 Bjks7239 at 9:37 AM March 13, 2011
Thank you MJ!
Report Abuse
  1   0   
 Uncle Max at 7:28 AM March 13, 2011
As great as Michael Jordan was, it was the TEAM that won that 1st NBA title and the 5 that followed during that reign of terror we all enjoyed in the 90s.

But there was no word, no MENTION in this article of Jerry Krause, the man who brought every single one of those players to Chicago to play alongside Jordan not to mention every single one of the coaches.

Classy
Report Abuse
  1   2   
 Keith Lifetime Southsider at 2:33 PM March 13, 2011
This is the type of thinking that ended the reign too soon.
Report Abuse
  0   0   
 Uncle Max at 7:22 AM March 13, 2011
As great as Michael Jordan was it was the
Report Abuse
  0   2   
 SammyZ at 3:19 AM March 13, 2011
Shame on you Bill Cartwright for not showing up. I know your an assistant coach with the suns but you could of come out and caught a flight to Orlando first thing in the morning and gotten to the arena in plenty of time for your 3:30 game. I guess you still are not over the firing. GROW UP.

Shame on you B.J. Armstrong for not showing up. I guess your still hurt you got passed over for GM by pax. GROW UP
Report Abuse
  1   2   
 Keith Lifetime Southsider at 2:34 PM March 13, 2011
You are right, but Krause didn't show up either.
Report Abuse
  0   0   
 Mancill at 10:08 PM March 12, 2011
D. Rose for MVP

Report Abuse
  0   0   
 md-Norridge at 9:58 PM March 12, 2011
Great Tribute!  The 25th anniversary will coincide with the '96 20th anniversary.  And the 5th anniversary of this year's NBA Championship.  Go Bulls.
Report Spam   Logged
Michael Terranova
Atlantean King

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:22 am »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-chicago-bulls-1991-reunion-photos,0,2321628.photogallery
Report Spam   Logged
Michael Terranova
Atlantean King

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:57 am »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-chicago-bulls-1991-championship-photos,0,3682804.photogallery
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum