Atlantis Arisen
March 29, 2024, 12:12:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Chinese farmers grew rice 7,700 years ago
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21096855/

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Rose's humble approach to MVP all an act

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rose's humble approach to MVP all an act  (Read 46 times)
Michael Terranova
Atlantean King

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »

Rose's humble approach to MVP all an act

He wants to win the award—and badly

Rose joins NBA effort to provide Japan relief | Celtics lose
Bulls tops in point differential over Celtics, Lakers, Spurs
Korver, Bogans run basketball drills with students
Topics
Basketball
Getaway Travel
Trips and Vacations
See more topics »
X
Atlanta Hawks
Los Angeles Clippers
NBA
Michael Jordan
Derrick Rose
Sacramento Kings
By K.C. Johnson
7:01 p.m. CDT, March 23, 2011
/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0324-bulls-chicago--20110323,0,2699456,email.story E-mail
/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0324-bulls-chicago--20110323,0,2367212,print.story Print
\l "" \l ""\l "" \l ""Text Size
ct-spt-0324-bulls-chicago--20110323

Don't let Derrick Rose fool you.

Don't let his occasional lapses back into aw-shucks mode obscure what he calmly—presciently?—said way back on Sept. 27 during Bulls' Media Day festivities.

"Why can't I be the MVP of the league," Rose famously said then.

Now, he laughs off endorsements for the award from even Michael Jordan and steers such talk back to what he's all about—winning. And that's why the humble approach to MVP is all an act. Rose wants to win the award—and badly. He has said as much to confidantes.

Need basic training in SEO and social media? Sign up for 435 Digital seminars at Tribune Tower >>

Of course, his reasons for desiring so are selfless, not selfish. Rose wants to be the MVP because he knows that means he's playing at his highest level, giving his Bulls the best chance to win what he really wants, an NBA championship.

This is why Rose has done bolder, more confident things like announce during a casual conversation at summer-league play in Las Vegas last summer that he had improved his 3-point shot. Which he has, from 26.7 percent last season to 34 percent this season.

It's why he took his work ethic to an even higher level last offseason, entering the Berto Center one day after the World Championships in Turkey ended, jet-lagged and bleary-eyed for a two-hour workout.

It's why, in an interview with the Tribune, he shed even more light on what drives him and why he made his MVP claim on the eve of this season.

"It's the joy of proving people wrong, especially when people don't expect you or your team to win," Rose said. "I always look at myself as an underdog. People always ask why I wear No. 1. It took me a long time to get where I am right now. I think back to high school. O.J. (Mayo) was No. 1 in our class. I wanted to get there.

"In college, people said to me, 'Why you going to Memphis? They're not going to do anything.' That just added stuff to the fire. And then, even when I went No. 1 in the draft, I wasn't even in the discussion for Rookie of the Year. You look at all the other people who went No. 1, they were automatically the people to be considered Rookie of the Year candidates. And I wasn't. All that stuff added on to the fire and I still remember the people who said it.

"I like proving people wrong. And that's why I said what I said (about MVP)."

Hmmm. "Stuff to the fire." Does that sound familiar?

Nobody compares to Jordan and nobody ever will. But Rose is beginning to develop a similarly encyclopedic recall of sleights—perceived or otherwise—and missteps to fuel his already prodigious motivational levels.

On Feb. 1, Rose admonished himself for missing the game-tying free throw in the Dec. 18 home loss to the Clippers. He then dropped 32 points and 11 assists in Los Angeles the next day to kick off a 3-2 trip in positive fashion with a victory.

Last Sunday, he spat out details of the Bulls' near-historic, 35-point collapse to the Kings from December 2009 because Sacramento was visiting for the first time since. Rose had 18 and eight in just 28 minutes of a 40-point blowout.

Late Tuesday night in Atlanta, Rose spoke with disgust about blowing a 17-point, second-half lead against the Hawks, even though the Bulls had blown them out once at home since. The way Rose played, posting 30 points and 10 assists with a career-high six 3-pointers in just three quarters, the loss stayed with him more than the victory.

Rose also acted defiantly throughout a recent stretch in which he missed 19 straight 3-pointers. Since snapping that string on March 7, Rose is 24-for-55 for 43.6 percent from beyond the arc.

"I told you I'm not going to stop shooting, no matter what," Rose said. "The game tells me to shoot so I'm putting the shot up."

Spoken like a true MVP.

kcjohnson@tribune.com
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Michael Terranova
Atlantean King

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:32:34 pm »

5-on-5: Rose running away with MVP?Five ESPN.com writers debate five of the biggest talking points in the NBA todayEmail Print Comments ESPN.com

Gary Dineen/NBAE/Getty Images
Derrick Rose has led the Bulls past the 50-win mark. Has he left LeBron in his dust in the MVP race?

It's time for a little 5-on-5, our new experts' roundtable featuring five voices on five hot questions.

Today we touch on the Derrick Rose-for-MVP movement, the Bulls, the Celtics, the Carmelo Anthony trade and the fascinating Western Conference playoff picture.

Check it out and come back to ESPN.com for more 5-on-5.

1. Is Stan Van Gundy correct? Have we already anointed D-Rose as MVP?

Rose

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: Anyone with a pulse would be very happy for Derrick Rose, and maybe he should win it if nothing else as a thank-you for the thrills, the work and the wins. But LeBron James is a better player, playing just as he did when he ran away with this award the past two seasons. Beyond bitterness, is there a reason to disqualify him so early?

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: Yes, Stan Van Gundy is correct. The media have decided Rose is the MVP, and the media hate changing the story once it's written. But the media are correct, too. Rose and the Bulls are having a better season than Dwight Howard and the Magic.

Kevin Arnovitz: Heat Index: The media and fans like novelty because it keeps the narrative interesting. That means that whenever there's a legitimate candidate for MVP who hasn't previously been in the conversation, we tend to gravitate toward him. And when that candidate's team loses only three times in six weeks, the momentum builds. This is true in basketball or baseball.

5 on 5: Rose is the MVP?
Have you made your choice for NBA MVP already? Stan Van Gundy might want a word with you. SN: Poll
Chris Sheridan, ESPN New York: I am with Van Gundy on this one, and he is on point: I am as guilty as anyone of anointing Rose the MVP prematurely, but I am on solid ground in doing so.

Look where the Bulls are. Then ask why they are there. This guy has been the consummate leader for them, and the leap he has made in his outside shooting has been astounding.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: I would appear to be guilty. The Bulls would have to hit a serious skid here in their last 12 games to convince me otherwise.

Howard has played at a higher level of statistical efficiency and has kept Orlando in the top five defensively all season, even though he's surrounded by bad defenders. But the combination of the on-the-court load that Rose shoulders along with the galvanizing effect he's had as a leader for a team that's exceeded all expectations with Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah combining to miss 54 games … yup. Guilty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Are the Bulls the team to beat in the East?

Abbott: Yes. It's probably smart to discount the first 30 or so games as they mastered coach Tom Thibodeau's team defense. Since then, they've been electric.

Adande: Because the Celtics are the defending conference champs, they're the team to beat, regardless of how the seeding shakes down. However, the Bulls will beat them.

Arnovitz: We know that Thibodeau's team has the stingiest defense in the league, and that has been the case for the better part of the season. But what's frightening about the Bulls right now is their offense, which is starting to hum. The conference semifinals aren't for six more weeks, so there's still plenty of time for another realignment, but until Boston re-establishes that old fire and Miami reaches its full potential for an extended stretch, the Bulls are the most competitive team in the East.

Sheridan: More and more, it is looking that way. Miami hasn't beaten the good teams and hasn't made big shots in close games. Boston has been brutal (by Celtics standards) since the Kendrick Perkins trade. Orlando hasn't integrated Gilbert Arenas whatsoever. Chicago is the only East team that has been steady all season.

Stein: Nope. Because there isn't one.

The Bulls should be that team on paper, given what they've achieved in the regular season, but the fact that this group hasn't proved anything in the playoffs yet is a disclaimer that can't be ignored … unfair as that might sound when they haven't yet had the chance.

The Celtics, meanwhile, aren't the Celtics anymore, although there's still time for them to snap out of this sulky funk and finally move on without Perkins.

I firmly believe that you can't make a clear-cut case for Chicago, Boston or Miami as the East favorite, which is one of the things I look forward to most in these playoffs. We just don't know. Suspense!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Is something wrong with the Celtics?

Abbott: They were never supposed to be this good for this long -- their stars have been living on borrowed time for a couple of years already. And their nonstars are all cast-offs. Now they're dealing with the absence of Perkins. Under Doc Rivers, that's still one of the NBA's five best teams, but the Bulls are scarier.

Adande: Yes: Rajon Rondo's shot is off. He's shooting 34 percent in March. If he gets back to his season average of 47 percent, the Celtics will get better.

Arnovitz: Right now, the Celtics' offense is not much better than league average. It's hard to tell whether this is a fatal flaw or, as was the case last season at this time, the C's have just hit a rut out of which they'll promptly shake themselves on April 16. Either way, the ball needs to start moving again in their offense. Chances are it will.

Sheridan: Yes. The Perkins trade did a number on their chemistry, their bench is a collection of cast-offs whom the Heat, Mavericks and even the Nets didn't want, and Shaq will not be in game shape when the playoffs arrive. Defensively, the Celtics are not what they once were.

Stein: Yeah. The self-proclaimed toughest team in the league is still feeling sorry for itself more than a month removed from the Perkins trade. Get over it, fellas. Danny Ainge didn't make the deal because he didn't believe in you. You guys aren't supposed to be this fragile.

4. Is it too early to say the Knicks lost the Melo trade?

Anthony

Abbott: It's well worth it if it brings Chris Paul. Otherwise, I'd say Denver won.

Adande: Far too early to say that, especially because Chauncey Billups, the underrated component in the trade, got hurt. New York will need multiple superstars to compete with Miami the next few years; the Knicks got theirs. The key is winning the transactions to come.

Arnovitz: In the long term, yes. We saw in Miami that retooling a roster in the offseason -- even one packed with superstars -- doesn't produce immediate results. We should figure that condition is compounded when you overhaul a team in the middle of the season. Still, the Knicks won't win consistently until they implement a defense that denies opponents the ball and contests shots.

Sheridan: Yes. They are simply experiencing growing pains. Did Miami struggle at the start of the season when all the new players were trying to jell? Yes. Have Boston and Orlando struggled since their in-season trades? Yes.

Bottom line: The main piece the Knicks got is harder to acquire than the pieces they gave away.

Stein: Ridiculously early. Laughably early. What if Melo's mere presence helps the Knicks recruit a third star? Or coaxes Phil Jackson out of retirement a couple of years from now? Then what?

5. Which lower seed in the West is most capable of a first-round upset?

Abbott: The Nuggets. They not only have been incredibly X factor-ish since the Melo trade but also are lining up to avoid the two virtual locks for the Western Conference finals: the Spurs and Lakers.

Adande: If the seedings stay the same, the Trail Blazers could knock off the Mavericks, thanks to the combination of the Blazers' playoff experience and Dallas' history of playoff shortcomings.

Arnovitz: A healthy Trail Blazers squad is a two-way challenge, even for the top teams in the Western Conference. Portland has positional flexibility, guys who can rebound, rangy perimeter defense, a point guard who gets guys the ball where and when they like it, and a tough gym.

Sheridan: The Nuggets, but I'd like their chances better if they allowed themselves to slip from No. 5 to No. 6 to face the Dallas Mavericks in the first round. If they stay at No. 5 and draw the Thunder, they'll still be a tough out, but I would not expect them to advance. Of the top six teams, they are the deepest talentwise.

Stein: This is a question that will be far easier to answer once we know the first-round matchups, but without that information, I'm still on the Memphis bandwagon.

No one wants to see the Grizzlies even without Rudy Gay, because that means dealing with Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol in the frontcourt and wing defenders galore (Tony Allen, Shane Battier and Sam Young) who cause problems on the perimeter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110324
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum