Atlantis Arisen
April 20, 2024, 07:48:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Vatican is looking for more exorcists to fight the growing interest in Satanism.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/02/04/vinci.vatican.exorcist.cnn

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Top Submersible Aquarium Heaters

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Submersible Aquarium Heaters  (Read 142 times)
Trent
Atlantean King

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »

How to Prevent Aquarium Heater Disasters
Don't Let This Happen to You!
"Walked by the tank this morning and found everything laying belly-up. The thermostat for the heater got stuck and the water temp was 92.6F."  The general response to this "Everythings Dead" message posted in the forums by Paul (psedio) is one of extreme sadness, and we agree. It is heart-wrenching to loose everything in your tank from something like a heater going haywire, a situation that might occur with any aquarium heater, so here are some very simple things you can do that could help to prevent this same type of disaster from happening.

Consider an aquarium heater to be a critical piece of equipment, just as you would a filter or other piece of equipment that is essential to the livelihood of your tank inhabitants.

Purchase a top quality unit. Too often the heater is thought of as a simple and inexpensive device, and one tends to cheap out when buying one. What costs more, loosing everything in your tank, or spending a little more money on a better heater to start with?

Heater temperatures should be confirmed by using an accurate thermometer in the aquarium. Use a quality unit, such as one that has an alarm feature that warns you of high and low temperature changes to the water. A few degrees difference between the heater setting to that of the thermometer is acceptable.

Consider investing in a heater/chiller temperature controller, or other type of device that automatically monitors, controls, and alerts you to equipment and aquarium functions.

Follow instructions to make sure the heater is not only properly set up, but used correctly as well.

From Andy (darwindog): "I have the same one, they are a little susceptible to salt creep and burn out. You have to make sure you have all the proper drip loops as the manual says. Other than that mine is 2 years old and no probs."

Clean the heater and any other components regularly, particularly to keep it free of salt creep.

From Andy (darwindog): "My first one went after a week as I hadn't set it up correctly. When I unplugged the unit it was caked in salt on the control box. Luckily for me it just stopped working and didnt heat up."

To protect from overheating that can cause damage, always unplug the heater when doing aquarium water changes or removing it from the water, and maintain the level of the water in the tank to keep any particular type of heater submersed properly as instructed.

Don't try to repair or use a broken heater. Discard it and get a new one!
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/setupequipment/a/heaterdisasters.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum