Atlantis Arisen
April 20, 2024, 09:56:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First Orchid Fossil Found in Amber
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070829-orchid-fossil.html

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Dana Milbank Leaving Countdown With Keith Olbermann

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dana Milbank Leaving Countdown With Keith Olbermann  (Read 182 times)
Kristina
Atlantean Warrior

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:50:24 am »

McCain played the maverick moderate in '00 (63+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, gpclay, slinkerwink, TaraIst, Lexicon, sfgb, mrblifil, retLT, Rudyard, webweaver, Vicky, 3goldens, DianeNYS, slamkitty, fireflynw, Cyber Kat, Denny in Seattle, elliott, smythy, ceriboo, Naniboujou, greenearth, AnnCetera, Timothy J, WI Dem, Batbird, phonegery, goheelsgodems, dmh44, bfbenn, yowsta, flumptytail, dww44, UneasyOne, ImpeachKingBushII, Neon Mama, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, golconda2, mayim, Serpents Sorrow, Virginia mom, Scubaval, wv voice of reason, RDMS1983, Rick Aucoin, ginnyh532, last patriot left, markhaverty, unspeakable, batgirl71, MooseHB, Lava20, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, TruthandTrust, MariaWr, Observerinvancouver, HelenBack, Dustee, axel000, DrFitz, debbieleft
b/c W had already nailed down all of the True Believers (TB's).  This time around, McCain's picked up the TB's, but he's still trying to play the moderate at the same time.  I'm not sure anyone could pull off that quinela, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that he's not that guy.

If I ran Obama's campaign, I'd hammer McCain's 95% pro-W voting record relenlessly.  I'd hammer in the morning and in the evening, all over this land.  I'd also run the picture of him hugging W and the picture of them hamming it up w/ the b-day cake while NOLA was drowning.

Make sure that every sentient being in the US knows that McCain has spent the last 8 years as a toady to W.  In doing so, you'll not only undercut McCain's "moderate" credentials, you'll set his temper off, too.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I see things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:17:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

100000 recs for you (10+ / 0-)
Recommended by:RFK Lives, ceriboo, dmh44, flumptytail, Neon Mama, adrianrf, wv voice of reason, ginnyh532, Nonconformist, Leigh3352
From your mouth to Obama's ears please!!!

Politics is like driving...if you want to go backwards, choose R. If you want to move forward, choose D.

by fireflynw on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:11:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

You are so right! n/t (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:RFK Lives, ceriboo, dmh44, Leigh3352

by Observerinvancouver on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:35:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

McCain: "Act of Political Cowardice" in 2000 (16+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, AaronInSanDiego, TaraIst, nancelot, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, WI Dem, Neon Mama, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, Serpents Sorrow, MooseHB, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, axel000, DrFitz
Actually, McCain hasn't changed all that much from 2000, when after the Primary, he admitted to knowingly "sacrifice...principle for personal ambition:" 

"...Former GOP presidential candidate John McCain called for the removal of the Confederate battle flag from atop the South Carolina Statehouse on Wednesday, acknowledging that his refusal to take such a stance during his primary battle for the Palmetto State was a "sacrifice of principle for personal ambition..."   

In a Feb. 18, 2000 article, Salon asked the question:  Is John McCain a Crook? The article goes on to detail McCain's long personal relationship with Keating.

IMHO, because he was less cranky in 2000, the press was even less willing than they are now to focus on McCain's less than "honorable" stands and past "issues".

by kurious on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:23:08 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Reced for Keating ties (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, kurious, Serpents Sorrow

McCain housing policy shaped by lobbyist

by Nonconformist on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 10:42:37 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I think this is the true McCain. I think the (10+ / 0-)
Recommended by:nicolemm, WriterRoss, Cedwyn, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, Naniboujou, UneasyOne, Neon Mama, Serpents Sorrow, dragonlilleth
whole straight talk image is just that, an image.  No one who truly valued "straight talk" could tell as many lies a week as McCain does now and look himself in the mirror.

If you have a Republican Sec. of State start a voter registration certification drive in your area. Reverse the purge.

by Blogvirgin on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:12:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Amen - "Straight talk" was a brand - (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, ceriboo, Neon Mama, Serpents Sorrow
a campaign slogan.

So was "Maverick."  It was a scam!

The classic example was his "principled stand" against torture.  He beat that drum in the press for weeks getting tons of free favorable media coverage, endless recounting of his claim to fame as a POW - then quietly sold out completely!

He voted for the "compromise" that pushed the torture into the CIA and then voted against a ban on CIA torture!  Somehow his main constituency (the press) has never called him to task for that vote!

This is why his Republican colleagues hate his guts.  He makes a huge and public fuss over something they would rather keep a low profile about, and then - reliably and quietly - sells it out.  He has run this same scam repeatedly and the press never gets tired of it.

McCain Feingold?  Election reform?  Don't make me laugh.  That was about distracting attention from the fact that he was Keating's lapdog.  Did it clean up the electoral process?  Are you kidding me?

by UneasyOne on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 03:44:54 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Straight talk: Just get it done! ... (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:gpclay, ceriboo, Leigh3352
Don't think about nuance, consequences, or human suffering: just do it! Don't talk about it, just do it!

What a load of crap this type of thinking is: nothing but impatient 5 yr old egotistical idiocy. Yet, in my experience, this is your typical male republican voter in a nutshell.

My wife's awesome Gardening blog: Busy Bee's Garden!

by Serpents Sorrow on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:01:19 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

"McCain out of it, video at 11:00" (8+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Cedwyn, Clzwld, ceriboo, WI Dem, Bule Betawi, MooseHB, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth
'Much too late for him to stay up to see, so we'll just have to assume he doesn't know, so pity the poor fool, he's not a mean hypocritical bastard, he's just a poor old clown, the dupe of his evil puppetmasters, er, handlers...'

Mrs Greenspan is quite something.

by Uncle Moji on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:06:14 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

No explanation needed. It speaks for (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Cedwyn, ceriboo, Neon Mama, MooseHB, Leigh3352
itself.  Kinda like Reagan and Iran Contra:  either he knew or he didn't.  Either way, it reflects badly on him.

Why does John McCain hate kids?

by Fasaha on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:24:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

don' get me started on Barnicle (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss, ceriboo, Neon Mama, Muzikal203, dragonlilleth
He spend one hour showing the misprinted pic of Obama and  Craig and saying "Swish!"  When he gets together with Buchanan - it's like the Nazi hour. 

Waiting to be surprised - Zelda Fitzgerald

by stillonline on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:29:51 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I remember his plagiarizing arse (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo
from the Boston Globe days.  How do folks keep ending up employed.

by sk7326 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 05:13:10 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

When I Heard this Live today... (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TaraIst, ceriboo, goheelsgodems
I wondered WHY in light of all we know do they keep aw-shucksing McCain and letting him GET AWAY with his LIES AND MORE LIES? Aw he didn't mean it, aw he didn't know what he was doing, it's his handlers not him...

WHY DO THEY LET HIM GET AWAY WITH MURDER?

Damn!

"George Bush Doesn't Care About People"

by WriterRoss on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 02:39:33 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

**You can't be a total BEEYOTCH for years and (7+ / 0-)
Recommended by:oslo, UneasyOne, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth, Observerinvancouver, Dustee
expect candy and flowers just because you occasionally have a kind word.

She'll have to prove she's capaple of extended truth-telling before she gets the benefit of my doubt.

**Yeah, I'm mad! I've been paying attention.

by greylox on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:27:42 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

baby steps (10+ / 0-)
Recommended by:dksbook, Cyber Kat, ceriboo, adrianrf, OleHippieChick, TheOpinionGuy, MooseHB, stillonline, Leigh3352, dragonlilleth
every bloviator that comes back from the dark side must be welcome and cherish, remember for a long time the only one in our side was KO and  Rachel M., A.Mitchell is particularly welcome b/c she is in every show and she is part of the "village" so her effect is multiplied.

Many on the "village" are grappling to the fact that JSM is not the lovable moderate that they peddled to the masses for a decade and the ways many are dealing with it include:

Denial, nothing to see here, 99% of the "village" is playing ostrich now
Disgust, see Joe Klein, Gergen
Surprise, see Alterman.
Pissed, see A. Mitchell

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -- Mahatma Gandhi

by IamTheJudge on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:59:45 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Yeah, but... (8+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss, gsbadj, Naniboujou, adrianrf, Leigh3352, kfd313, dragonlilleth, axel000
Yeah but then she went on to argue that McCain must've been "misinformed by his people" regarding the lies his campaign has been putting out, like he's just too busy with the rigors of campaigning to know what's really happening in the world.  He has to rely on what his people tell him.  And if they lie to him about something that Obama did or didn't do or say, and then they make a commercial that regurgitates that lie and then Old Man John says "I approve of this ad" at the end, well, it's not his fault.  He's a man of honor surrounded by dishonorable men acting in his name.  I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of Mrs. Greenspan's apologia for poor poor misunderstood McCain.

by rmasher2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:34:02 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

yes but, (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss
the most damning thing of all is that she and Simon's actually intimated that McCain's a puppet! Rove's puppet. That was a shocking moment, I watched it and gasped. The MSM must pick this up, it's actually a huge story, HUGE! And very very scary...we could have another puppet president.  Who's actually  in power, who constitutes the cabal?

by dragonlilleth on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 09:40:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

my Republican husband (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:ceriboo, Neon Mama, mayim
has tried the "it's not McCain, it's his people/campaign/staff" line with me several times.  The response that ALWAYS shuts him up: "I'm John McCain and I approved this message."  Which is it -- he's completely lying, or he's completely out of it?

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. --Mark Twain

by goheelsgodems on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 08:49:14 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

other than KO you mean... (2+ / 0-)
Recommended by:nicolemm, MooseHB

by GUGA on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:58:50 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

don't tell anyone, but (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:OleHippieChick
I have a secret crust on Andrea... I know it's wierd.

by galaxy quest on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:25:05 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

As long as "crust" isn't a typo. :-P (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:WriterRoss, goheelsgodems, Seneca Doane

Passenger on the long train of abuses.

by OleHippieChick on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 01:53:26 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Well... (0+ / 0-)
I wish folks would back off Andrea a bit around here.

I'm not backing off, but I am leery.

McCain housing policy shaped by lobbyist

by Nonconformist on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 10:36:14 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

She's probably under the mistaken impression (0+ / 0-)
that they have a choice.  You know, like people would actually vote Republican if they didn't go the fear-smear-omg-queers! route.

public static string McCainResponse(string ObamaAction) { switch (ObamaAction) { default: return "FAUXRAGE!!" } }

by sagra on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 07:31:47 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

Andrea should NOT keep defending McCain (0+ / 0-)
as "better than his campaign" and ill-served y his advisors.  Do read the following: http://www.capitolhillblue.com/...

by Carthage on Tue Aug 05, 2008 at 09:14:44 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

I had a different reaction. (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, Vicky, dww44, Leigh3352, kfd313
I thought she was asking your standard questions, almost like lobbing softballs, and giving Pena a chance to knock them out of the park.  As to whether he took full advantage, well....

Sometimes I think the surrogates that should be on TV should be the well-versed bloggers who'd know exactly how to knock these insinuations out of the park.

How to debunk the Right's lies on global warming

by BruinKid on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:03:50 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

All journalists will not please you all the time. (6+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Vicky, DianeNYS, basilbeast, CWalter, TheOpinionGuy, Leigh3352
Andrea was the strongest voice calling McSame out for his lie about not visiting the troops. IIRC, she was the first to call foul, at the very least she had the strongest cred and put her reputation out to do it.

No, she isn't perfect, but no one is. I do thank her for that, I imagine that she knows him personally and that call may have cost her a friendship. It's when the stuff is on the line that actions speak the loudest.

Edwards Democrat voting for Obama would like to remind you, "Concentration Moon, over the camp in the valley" Frank Zappa knew.

by high uintas on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:28:39 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I agree,changed my opinion nt (0+ / 0-)

by revgerry on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:49:04 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

WP has lots of Dana's: easy mistake (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Rudyard, basilbeast, stillonline
For instance, there's Dana Priest (female) who busted open the Walter Reed mess with Anne Hull.

Perhaps the WP should require staff writers with sexually ambiguous names to change their bylines to clarify matters...

Examples:

McCain reveals his close personal relationship with Satan

by Dana Milbank
(male) staff writer

Or

Coulter's adam's apple revealed to be cybernetic terrorist spy device

by Dana Priest
(female) staff writer

It would reduce confusion, anyway...

by grahamcstrouse on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 07:20:47 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Yeah (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Neon Mama
And then when she did a 13 minute interview with McCain's campaign manager last week she didn't ask a single question about that slur and instead asked this softball (paraphrased):  "so are you now trying to question Obama's patriotism.  Is that your schtick?". 

It's nice to point out one time that something is false, but if you aren't demanding accountability of those who debase our political discourse, you aren't doing your job.

by dcg2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 08:41:38 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Andrea has redeemed herself (106+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Ducktape, Yosef 52, slinkerwink, Bear, miasmo, TaraIst, TrueBlueMajority, nicolemm, mattman, maineiac, bliss149, kpardue, loveaustin, John Campanelli, celdd, HighSticking, Creosote, chipoliwog, opinionated, missLotus, pattisigh, buckhorn okie, oslo, badlands, Miss Blue, betson08, The Termite, monkee, Vicky, gsbadj, historys mysteries, marina, 3goldens, Treg, DianeNYS, bellevie, Ckntfld, basilbeast, MT Spaces, Pam from Calif, CWalter, Tex Kosmaniac Dem Lady, ZinZen, lovelylight, Fasaha, Sam the Wolfdog, mr crabby, greenearth, Andy30tx, joshc123, Coffee Geek, Timothy J, BB10, frankzappatista, ryaninnj, AllanTBG, Wordie, Jaleh, dmh44, IsThisOverYet, jds1978, jimbobb, Bridge Master, ImpeachKingBushII, adrianrf, Involuntary Exile, Fiona West, beltane, evora, CeeusBeeus, Pastry Assassin, Scubaval, Rhysling, artmartin, Neon Vincent, CarrieNYC, jodygirl, SciVo, batgirl71, TheOpinionGuy, sarashina nikki, MooseHB, OffHerRocker, Massconfusion, Nonconformist, Sleepwalkr, MizKit, Sarahsaturn, Tricky, Leigh3352, Emalene, choochmac, TruthandTrust, dragonlilleth, LaughingPlanet, Tnemagnolia, larryww, Dustee, okiemann, expatinparis, alieninamerica, pinkomommy, axel000, apip0115, aggie98, farbuska
She really has. She had Barack's back so many times during last week's Bullshit-fest. She defended him on the Britney ad, on the race card stuff, on the Troop visit and etc, etc. She's been really great actually, for whatever reason.

I trust Barack Obama.

by jenontheshore on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:24:04 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I know...it's...scaaary... (13+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Ducktape, peace voter, buckhorn okie, oslo, betson08, historys mysteries, 3goldens, MT Spaces, Brooke In Seattle, Sam the Wolfdog, Involuntary Exile, LaughingPlanet, AxmxZ

McCain insisted [no union member] would [pick lettuce for $50/hour] for a complete season. "You can't do it, my friends."

by grrr on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:28:58 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Maybe her husband has informed her (32+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Sharoney, zzyzx, XOVER, TrueBlueMajority, nicolemm, sharman, oslo, grrr, Tirge Caps, joanneleon, jabney, bellevie, LeighAnn, Shliapnikov, Andy30tx, Timothy J, phonegery, dmh44, dww44, BobTrips, adrianrf, mayim, Neon Vincent, TheOpinionGuy, Nonconformist, Leigh3352, TruthandTrust, Alohilani, lcarr23, Observerinvancouver, Dustee, farbuska
that, for capitalism to continue to hobble along, you have to bring in a Democrat every few administrations to clean up the mess. Of course the point is to save the system so there's something left for Republicans to loot and pillage when they get back in. A third Bush term would probably drive the car all the way off the cliff.

Chomsky Fever! John McCain sucks.

by miasmo on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:14:37 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I'd like to believe that (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:oslo, Shliapnikov, Leigh3352, Alohilani
but that would imply he would have the humility to understand what a parasite he is. I can't see it.

McCain insisted [no union member] would [pick lettuce for $50/hour] for a complete season. "You can't do it, my friends."

by grrr on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:46:12 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Oh Pulease! (7+ / 0-)
Recommended by:mattman, mrblifil, dclawyer06, Seneca Doane, MadAsHellMaddie, Leigh3352, Sam James
She's the **** bride of Frankenstein.

Overnight News Digest Midnight. Every night. Get smart. Be there.

by Pluto on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:29:07 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Nope. Sorry. (43+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TaraIst, bliss149, billlaurelMD, kpardue, chipoliwog, DWKING, oslo, high uintas, resa, Vicky, CWalter, Cory Bantic, ZinZen, lovelylight, ceriboo, joshc123, Timothy J, Jaleh, politicalget, BobTrips, Bridge Master, Clipper, adrianrf, Involuntary Exile, mayim, CeeusBeeus, 1BQ, Independant Man, Neon Vincent, jenontheshore, pvlb, TheOpinionGuy, Nonconformist, Sleepwalkr, Colorado Billy, TruthandTrust, LaughingPlanet, Tnemagnolia, gramofsam1, lolynda, LA Person, aggie98, justohio
Just because you insist on holding grudges doesn't mean the rest of us have to. Andrea Mitchell stood on the right side of an issue and pushed back while everyone else just went with the flow. Right now I'll take whatever we can get to help us weather this media induced storm.

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, your name must be Barack Obama.

by eclecticbrotha on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:41:37 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Then, We Shall Disagree (5+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, Mlle Orignalmale, frankzappatista, Seneca Doane, Leigh3352
I am trained to recognize a subversive unit. Every word out of her mouth is meant to demoralize progressive values.

I give her points for having succeeded in this instance.

Overnight News Digest Midnight. Every night. Get smart. Be there.

by Pluto on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:47:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

she's playing for access in case barack wins. her (9+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TrueBlueMajority, peace voter, mrblifil, oslo, flatford39, adrianrf, Neon Vincent, dragonlilleth, Yumn
hubby will get her access if McLame wins, and she's got automatic access by being on major network

ha ha ha ha

'news' -

this is just smart strategy -

IF barack wins, on 5 Nov who'll be the first in line from the scum 'journalist' pack? somebody who went to bat for him when things looked bleak?

rmm.

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous

by seabos84 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:01:50 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

So? If access the coin of the realm, spend (3+ / 0-)
Recommended by:TruthandTrust, Yumn, Observerinvancouver
on.

Why does John McCain hate kids?

by Fasaha on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 04:26:18 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

& when does she turn on barack? 'friends' like (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Leigh3352
these, who needs enemies?

I may be reading between the lines incorrectly, but many of these 'yeah andrea' posts look pretty naive -

people like mitchell NEVER do anything for anyone unless there is somethign big in it for them.

I'll take any help I can get, that doesn't mean I'm handing them my bank access codes.

rmm.

Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous

by seabos84 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 05:12:11 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I'll take whatever we can get too... (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:peace voter, oslo, Vicky, Leigh3352
Not gonna hold my breath that she won't revert to type.  But, she just might be thinking about the future, and trying to play both ends.  And if in doing that, she does so decent reporting, well kudos to the reporting.

Grandma Jo

by JWC on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 03:59:47 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

I agree... (4+ / 0-)
Recommended by:Vicky, adrianrf, TheOpinionGuy, Leigh3352
Some people **** when she acts like a flack, and the SAME people **** when she does the stand up thing.

You can't complain about the reporting, only to complain about the reporting when the reporting changes.

Sheesh...

Say thanks, and wait 'til she does the RW freak out thing again, then **** some more.  This kind of response (not you eclecticbrotha) certainly won't do a thing for keeping her on the straight and narrow.

*grumble*

Some men weave their sophistry till their own reason is entangled. ~Samuel Johnson

by sophistry makes me tired on Mon
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum