Atlantis Arisen
April 19, 2024, 06:49:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient documents portend major earthquake
TEL AVIV, Israel, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- An Israeli scientist said ancient documents suggest a major earthquake triggered by the Dead Sea Fault is long overdue in the Middle East.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-20071004-13492500-bc-israel-earthquakes.xml

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Will Mel Gibson's alleged behavior keep you from seeing his movies?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Mel Gibson's alleged behavior keep you from seeing his movies?  (Read 239 times)
Adrienne
Atlantean Warrior

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:25:17 pm »

Will Mel Gibson's alleged behavior keep you from seeing his movies?.
By Lisa Schwarzbaum, EW.com
July 13, 2010 7:45 p.m. EDT

The Mel Gibson audiotape scandal grows as more audio alleging to reveal the actor's behavior reportedly emerges.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Writer asks do we benefit from knowing who the private Mel Gibson may be?

Does what we know about artists' characters influence our appreciation for their work?

Movie-goers could boycott Gibson's work, or be curious to see what he does next
(EW.com) -- A second purported audiotape has emerged in which Mel Gibson allegedly heaps disgusting verbal abuse and threats on the ex-girlfriend who is the mother of his baby daughter.

You're on your own if you want to find the tape and eavesdrop; I'll skip it, thanks. Instead, I'm here to wrestle with how what we know about an artist's character and personal life influences our appreciation for that artist's work. And whether it should. (I'm leaving the private lives of politicians and others who work in the public trust out of this conversation.)

The truth is, I wish I didn't know anything at all about Mel Gibson. Nothing. Lucky for me, the man has no effect on my daily existence, and I make no dent in his.

I'm curious about Gibson only insofar as he is an interesting actor and filmmaker ("interesting" -- how's that for a deliberately neutral term?) whose projects suggest a complicated, angry interior that, in turn, makes his projects so...interesting. (I assume you enjoy dabbling in cheap, dime-store psychoanalysis as part of your moviegoing enjoyment as much as I do.) The public Mel Gibson's movies tell me plenty.

Video: Defending Mel Gibson?

Video: Did Mel Gibson make death threat?

Video: Mel Gibson's alleged racist rant