Atlantis Arisen
March 28, 2024, 10:43:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists uncover Inca children's countdown to sacrifice
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-10/wt-sui100107.php

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Backlash over Angelina Jolie as Cleopatra

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backlash over Angelina Jolie as Cleopatra  (Read 75 times)
Sarah
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:23:57 am »

Backlash over Angelina Jolie as Cleopatra
The author of the biography “Cleopatra: A Life” may be hailing Angelina Jolie as the perfect choice to play the queen, but some folks aren’t so sure.

On African American blogs and message boards, people are speaking out against the casting of Jolie in a role they believe should go to an actress of color.

Essence.com recently featured a commentary titled, “Another White Actress to Play Cleopatra?” where the writer opined, “Honestly, I don't care how full Angelina Jolie's lips are, how many African children she adopts, or how bronzed her skin will become for the film, I firmly believe this role should have gone to a Black woman.”

Clutchmagonline.com points out that the Egyptian royal has already been portrayed by three actresses who were not of color: actress Claudette Colbert in 1934, actress Vivien Leigh in 1945 and the most famous Cleopatra to date, Elizabeth Taylor in 1963.

Stacy Schiff, author of the forthcoming “Cleopatra: A Life,” reportedly endorsed Jolie to play the role according to USA Today. “I think [Jolie] be perfect for it and I can see a possible Oscar in her future,” the writer said. “Physically, she’s got the perfect look.”

Talk is swirling that Jolie’s real life love, Brad Pitt, could play Mark Anthony a la legendary lovers Liz Taylor and Richard Burton in the 1963 version of the film.

Do you think Jolie is the ideal Queen of the Nile?
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/17/backlash-over-angelina-jolie-as-cleopatra/?hpt=Sbin
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum