Atlantis Arisen
March 28, 2024, 11:43:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dino-Killing Asteroid Traced to Cosmic Collision
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070905_killer_asteroid.html

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Lost Season Finale

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Season Finale  (Read 278 times)
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It         May 24th, 2010 10:09 am ET

Vindication. As I've said for this whole season the finale will suck and it did. It didn't answer ANY questions of the island (polar bears, Dharma, numbers, smoke monster, etc) and if any of your Lost-Fanatics even think about dismissing this as "you can't get everything you want" my response is if you're not going to provide answers then don't put it in your script. Simple storytelling rules. If your high school student went to his literary class with a script full of questions but no answers the teacher would give him an F. So in summary the first 3 years of Lost were fantastic storytelling and somewhere along Season 4 it became total BeeSee.

But sadly I think Lost has put the stake in the heart of any good scripted series gathering a following because 17 million viewers are going to remember what a waste Lost was and will not want to invest the time.

Flag this comment

Snarf         May 24th, 2010 10:14 am ET

Great ending.
That final scene with Jack and Vincent is EPIC!!!
(it made me cry like a baby)

Flag this comment

lianslimb         May 24th, 2010 10:15 am ET

yes.

Flag this comment

Lost Fan         May 24th, 2010 10:15 am ET

To I H8te Lost, my vindication is that I no longer have to read your comments on this blog. Why you would continue to "waste" your time week after week watching a show that you hate is beyond me. To all of the other Losties like me, I am truely sad that the show has ended. I've enjoyed every minute of the last six seasons and I for one thought the final episode was beautiful. It brought a lot of closure for all of the charactors and I LOVED it!

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 10:16 am ET

I assumed that the plane Kate, Claire, Sawyer, Miles and the others crashed and they were killed by the foot of the statue. Did anyone else get that?

Flag this comment

ADD         May 24th, 2010 10:16 am ET

Loved it! I think the finale was awesome. It answered lots of questions and the ones that remained are good "water cooler" discussions. I think it probably satisfied most people, but you can't please all the people all the time. I sorry it ended at all–it was one of my all time favorite series.

Flag this comment

Louise Edwards         May 24th, 2010 10:17 am ET

I watched and was totally happy with the ending. Quite emotional because I really came to like these characters. Letting go...it's all about accepting our destiny. The one the creator makes for us – not the one we think we control.

What I like is the fact that now I know the island reality WAS the reality. It didn't hit me until John said to Jack – You don't have a son.

The emotional scenes were so well played, I think many people in this series deserve Emmys, and I think many will be rewarded with future roles. I love theidea of a cop show with Miles and Sawyer  ;-).

I loved all the world leading religion sumbols on the stained glass window in the ante room at the church. Whatever religion you are, there is a place for you "in the light".

Thanks for six great years and a finale truly worthy!

Flag this comment

lucy2         May 24th, 2010 10:18 am ET

It was not what I expected, and for a while I was confused and *almost* disappointed, but after thinking about it more and more, I really get it and love it..
Yes there were things left unanswered, and a lot left to the audience's imagination, but I'm OK with that. The important stuff, everything that really mattered, was resolved.
If you think the polar bears, Dharma, numbers, and smoke monster questions still remain, you must not have watched this last season, as all of those WERE answered. The polar bears, in fact, were answered several seasons ago.

Flag this comment

Paul James         May 24th, 2010 10:18 am ET

Hey "Mr/Ms I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It"

You totally missed the point.

Flag this comment

Isaiah         May 24th, 2010 10:20 am ET

Clearly you didn't watch it the show very much. Polar Bears were brought to the Island by the Dharma Initiative as a test subject for their many experiments. Dharma Initiative was explained in the last two seasons. It was a quasi-hippy communal life science experiment. The many videos they found in the Hatches explained this. Did you fall asleep? The numbers and Smokey were explained.

Sounds like your post was just "trolling" for people to argue with. Good luck.

Flag this comment

Linzee         May 24th, 2010 10:22 am ET

My god you're cynical. In the end none of that matters. Its about the characters relationships, just as it is in real life. LOST ended up being a beautiful character study. If you were expecting it to suck then why watch it? So you could feel vindicated when you saw it and didnt like it? Of course you werent going to like it. You had set yourself up not to before you even saw it. I thought that the ending was moving and fitting. I understand people have their opinions but I feel like people were wanting definite answers when thats just not how it works sometimes. Not even in the real world. Sometimes its not about getting answers, its about what happens on the way.

Flag this comment

DeeBee         May 24th, 2010 10:22 am ET

I liked the final episode a great deal & I thought the recap before hand really helped a late comer like me... BUT

The number of commericals was absoultely mind-numbing.

I usually watch the few shows I like on HULU, but wanted to see this one as it happened. I will NOT make that mistake again.

All in all, I thought it was a fitting end to a landmark series.

Flag this comment

joe         May 24th, 2010 10:23 am ET

If I recall, the polar bears were explained in an episode regarding the Hydra station on the second island. The DHARMA Initiative had brought the bears there to see if the island's strange properties could be used to acclimate the bears to living in warmer climates. They were held in the cages at the station.

Flag this comment

Harleygirl         May 24th, 2010 10:24 am ET

WOW.......the ending was brilliant!!!!! Tear jerker, but brilliant!!!!

Flag this comment

robbie         May 24th, 2010 10:24 am ET

The series finale of lost was absolutely spellbinding, and honestly I was pretty much crying at the end. I'm happy that everyone got reunited and that everyone was ok.

Flag this comment

Someone didnt pay attention ^         May 24th, 2010 10:24 am ET

Dharma – scientific group sent to study the effects of the electromagnetic properties.

Polar Bear – came from Dharma

Numbers – numbers assigned to the candidates, and the code used to enter in the the computer in the hatch. Created by Jacobs influence.

Ill give you that the smoke monster wasnt explained enough.

The show was good, this season did however feel like a completely different show than the first 5 seasons, but I think leaving some things ambiguous is a good thing. The whole seasons dealt with the audience never fully knowing what was going on, and if anything, that remained consistent. I liked the writers letting the fans create their on conclusions about some things. Like the article above said, people wanted to know what the Force was in Star Wars. How satisfied were you when it was explained? Id rather they said nothing at all and let people speculate.

Flag this comment

David         May 24th, 2010 10:24 am ET

H8te.. you just dont get it!!! It was never about finding all the answers, but the journey you take and with whom you take it. You never get all the answers in life.

This was a great finale!!! The amazing thing to me is how more interested in the flash sideways (purgatory) than the island story line. the ending was beautifully done. The music was amazing. How each let go and knew what they had to do (again in purgatory) was special. This really has been the best show i have ever seen and it will be missed.

Thank you!!!

Flag this comment

efowler87         May 24th, 2010 10:26 am ET

I loved the ending! It was epic. It was emotional and wonderful. For all of you who say that the questions were not answered, maybe you haven't been paying attention to the last several seasons. I suggest going to Lostipedia or something, but yeah I loved it! Purgatory who knew.

Flag this comment

donnat673         May 24th, 2010 10:26 am ET

Who says you need the answers. I enjoyed the ride....and can accept how it ended. There are a lot of unanswered questions in life. You aren't gonna live to see them all answered in your life either. It just IS. Mark me down as "loved it".

Flag this comment

Brad         May 24th, 2010 10:26 am ET

Polar Bears were there for Dharma to experiment with; Dharma was there to explore/experiment with the islands electro-magnestism; the numbers were the candidates on the island; smoke monster's creation was shown but not explained. So... I H8te if you watched the series you would have seen the answers to 90% of your questions, the other 10% you get to fill in with imagination which is the beauty of it, unless you don't have one.

Flag this comment

Loved it         May 24th, 2010 10:26 am ET

Couldn't disagree more! This show has always been about the characters first, not all these silly mysteries people get hung up on. I'm glad they didn't try to explain what the island was; I recall how disappointing the ending to the Matrix series was, and this was because they tried so hard to make everything make sense, leaving behind a nearly incomprehensible mess.

Excellent writing, excellent acting, a beautiful story that came full circle! All those unsolved mysteries are just a reflection of real life! And do you really need someone to explain everything to you? Can't we just make some inferences about what the island was? Additionally, the mother of Jacob and MIB did tell us exactly what the island was: the Source of all life. That's why it was underwater in the Purgatory universe...

Flag this comment

Not Sure how to take it         May 24th, 2010 10:26 am ET

I believe ALL those questions you have asked were answered long before the finale... it may not have been directly but it was fairly easy to figure out.

Flag this comment

Chris M         May 24th, 2010 10:27 am ET

So they died in the crash, and all these years it was showing how they were "clinging" to this life so to say. The Bears,smoke,etc etc was just things in their minds,their own demons,etc. Letting go...not easy in any way. Great job to the writers. Gives us something to think about.

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 10:27 am ET

I did loveee the end. It was sad but happy that they were all together. But really does anyone else think the plane leaving at the end crashed and kate, claire, sawyer, miles and the rest died?

Flag this comment

LJ Johnson         May 24th, 2010 10:27 am ET

BRAVO! The finale was brillant. I cried my eyes out at times and Vincent .... bless his heart he wouldn't let Jack die alone. Amazing! These "lost" souls finally let go and found they could move on – together. It is about the journey not about the end. This is a thinking persons show – it's deep and you have to think about it to appreciate it. The numbers, polar bears, etc – it was just part of the fun of the show, the producers said that if you watched the 2 hour special prior to the finale. Yes, when Locke told Jack he didn't have a son, I got it. The reality was the island, the parallel universe wasn't parallel at all but self imposed purgatory, hmmm..wonder how many of us live that same life? I even loved the last few seconds where they showed the plane crash with no one around – just another question in mind, which is why I loved LOST.

Flag this comment

Lizzie         May 24th, 2010 10:28 am ET

Um, the finale didn't answer the question of polar bears, numbers, dharma, or the smoke monster because all of those questions had already been answered over the last and second to last season.

it was a great episode, despite what people who clearly don't pay attention have to say.

Flag this comment

Ian Morrolan         May 24th, 2010 10:28 am ET

How many shows out there make you actually think? For this reason alone, the finale (as well as the show) was a success.

Flag this comment

Josh         May 24th, 2010 10:29 am ET

How are supposed to treat your comment I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It? You complain about not getting answers but include things on your list like the smoke monster and Dharma Initiative and even the polar bears which was a question answered back in Season 2!

Flag this comment

kgb         May 24th, 2010 10:29 am ET

A more than fitting ending to the greatest television show ever, LOST. Thanks for the past six years. It was a joy and mystery to behold.

Flag this comment

Truth         May 24th, 2010 10:29 am ET

"Lost" was a very liberal show and one that will not be missed.

Flag this comment

Purgatory         May 24th, 2010 10:29 am ET

I'm not sure that I believe the island is "purgatory" like the article reads, but rather the alternate reality is. Any one agree?

Flag this comment

Chase March         May 24th, 2010 10:30 am ET

I think we need to have a Hurley spin-off show. His new rules of helping people by bringing them to the island would be great to see. The mysteries of the island could be addressed here too. One season would be enough to make that happen. I so want to see that.

Flag this comment

Big Louis         May 24th, 2010 10:30 am ET

How about a mention of Jack's father, Christian Shepard, gathering the flock, with the final scene in a church.

Flag this comment

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It         May 24th, 2010 10:30 am ET

If I were the writer of Lost this would be my ending.

The island would have been a spaceship operated by aliens performing mysterious tests on the Lost survivors. The smoke monster is released to protect the island from the survivors because they've found the hatch.

The survivors attempt to destroy the island (spaceship) but instead knock out its magnetic field which allowed it to shift through time and also made it invisible to satellite detections. The island is picked up on satellite by the military and they set out to investigate it. Most of the survivors dies trying to destroy the island but the others are rescued by the military before the aliens fix their magnetic field machine and activates it. The island disappears as it shifts into another time stream. The military leaves a ship behind with people pushing in the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42 into a computer trying to find the island again. The island is still there in this time-line, but underwater, undetectable by the military ship because of the islands magnetic field. The series ends with a possibility for a movie or another TeeVee series.

Flag this comment

LOSTlover         May 24th, 2010 10:30 am ET

Really? Really? You don't have the answers to Smokey, Polar bears, numbers, etc.? No questions about the island were answered? Did you even watch this show and if you did, did you really pay attention? I didn't get all of my questions answered but then again, should I have? Maybe Aaron was just a baby. Maybe Walt was just a child with a special gift. Maybe not everything that happened or was said requires an definative answer. Believe me, not all of LOST's 17 million viewers will consider it even remotely as a waste of time. It was the most entertaining TV show I've ever seen. Maybe not always a grade A or even a B, but ALWAYS entertaining. I, for one, will genuinely miss it.

Flag this comment

Julie         May 24th, 2010 10:31 am ET

LOST is the most brilliant and beautiful creation of humanity ever. Jorge, never forget the wisdom...the chance...to find what is lost.

Flag this comment

kgb         May 24th, 2010 10:31 am ET

RE: "Lost" was a very liberal show and one that will not be missed.

Speak for yourself, if you tiny little brain can handle it.

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 10:31 am ET

No Chris M., they didn't die in the first crash all that did happen. The sideways flash was what I think their soles trying to find each other and move on again together. Any thoughts?

Flag this comment

Good show, dumb viewers         May 24th, 2010 10:32 am ET

You must be dumb, the smoke was Jacobs brother (Jacob pushed him into the light), the polar bears were from a Dharma experiment, and the numbers were part of a larger equation that calculated something like the end of the world.

Flag this comment

Single Sleeve         May 24th, 2010 10:33 am ET

I have to agree with "I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It".

This last season has been pretty weak and the season finale followed suit. Not that the finale was completely bad but it didn't answer a lot of questions that they presented all the way back in Season 1. The entire season felt made up at the last minute and there was a lot of unnecessary storyline.

They (producers, writers, etc) have had these questions dangling out in front of the viewers like a carrot on a stick but never gave up the carrot.

The final season and finale were good in their own way but they didn't go with the flow of the series.

Flag this comment

Ellen Calderon         May 24th, 2010 10:34 am ET

I loved it – teary for all the lovers being reunited and crying out loud watching Vincent make sure Jack didn't die alone. Still have questions but that's the magic of Lost. They all died at different times so I don't think that last plane that took off crashed because it was too high over Jack to crash back on the island. I think he smiled knowing that some of them left. I remember tv from when I was a little girl in the 40s when it was black and whiteand the screen was an 8 inch square and this has been the absolute best tv ever. They became your friends because you knew where they came from, you worried about them and held joy and sadness for them. What a wonderful experience.

Flag this comment

Jimmy         May 24th, 2010 10:34 am ET

Kelly, where'd you get the idea that the plane crashed on the foot of the statue?

Flag this comment

Bob Tuelsay         May 24th, 2010 10:34 am ET

Why would anyone think the "crowd" is going to heaven?
Kate, Jin, Sawyer, Sayid and Ben, etc. are all killers. Jacks father was a drunk who killed a patient? Charlie was a drug addict?

Only about half of the characters in this show were decent people.

It's cheap to use the "Ghostwhispers" stick of "going into the light".

Flag this comment

Anne         May 24th, 2010 10:34 am ET

It was a sad ending but a good one never the less. I loved how they all "let go" and Christian was the one to teach Jack that; his own father whom he hated/loved/hated. The ending with Jack closing his eyes & Vincent laying beside him was priceless. Like man's best friend wouldn't leave him. Tear-jerker.
I know the finale still left unanswered questions but hey they had to squeeze a lot in 2.5 hrs. C'mon!
Also just seeing everyone coming back together like Hurley & Libby, Sun & Jin, Juliet & Sawyer. Loved it, loved it! Didn't love that they all had to die though. I loved the flash-forward lives they all had. Sawyer a cop, Juliet & Jack were doctors at the same hospital & had a son together. Great stuff.

Flag this comment

Andy         May 24th, 2010 10:35 am ET

Of course things are open to some interpretation but I think for those of you who think they all died in the original plane crash, that is probably off base. Christian pointed out that the time on the island was real and the people were all real. Everyone died at different times. Some before (shannon, libby etc) and some long after. For all we know Hurley could have lived on the island with Ben for 500 years. Lapedis and the folks on the planes could have made it back and lived out their lives... or they could have crashed on the way home. One thing was made clear, time holds no meaning once you die.

I do think a sitcom starring Lapedis, Richard and Miles after they excaped the island would be great LOL.

Flag this comment

Jason         May 24th, 2010 10:35 am ET

All of those questions have been answered:

Polar Bears: were part of the Dharma Initiative experiments
Dharma: what is your question? It was a group doing experiments on the island.
Numbers: The numbers were related to Jacob's list of candidates. Which appeared in the lighthouse and in the cave.
Smoke Monster: The man in black became the smoke monster when jacob threw him into the light cave.

Flag this comment

rdbinboston         May 24th, 2010 10:35 am ET

Ok, I need clarification.

Some people say the island was real, and sideways world was purgatory.

Some think the island was purgatory (like me), but you're saying "not quite". Can you explain?

It always seemed to me that the island was purgatory, where the souls from the crash faced their fears/demons and were presented with challenges to see if they were "ready" to move on. Tons of religious symbolism on the island helps support this. Then, sideways world represented the "afterlife" where the souls were reunited and living more "virtuous" existences. The scene in the church was Jack's welcoming party if you will.

It's hard to accept that the island was "real" with so many "unreal" things on it (smoke monsters, polar bears in the tropics, etc.)

Do I got it wrong?

Flag this comment

BigAl         May 24th, 2010 10:35 am ET

started off a great idea, but they didn't know how to end it.

Flag this comment

The L         May 24th, 2010 10:36 am ET

I concur completely. The author of this article suggests that some answers were given. I saw only one. That the sideways timeline is heaven or purgatory, even that's not 100% clear. Aside from that, there were NO answers provided. If you're going to be a person who is suggesting that answers were provided list what they are please. The author also says that those of you who thought the island was purgatory were wrong but not far off and then in the conclusion says that Desmond knew about the island being purgatory. You aren't fooling anyone...you are JUST as confused as the rest of us as to what happened. Pretending you aren't doesn't make you intelligent...it's proving exactly the opposite.

Flag this comment

J Dotson         May 24th, 2010 10:37 am ET

Last night's Lost was even better than expected. I was left speechless & uplifted. I will miss the mental and spiritual challenges they presented for us to ponder & hold in our hearts. What a great gift this show has been! I enjoyed every moment of the journey... and that's the point, isn't it?

Flag this comment

Matt         May 24th, 2010 10:37 am ET

@I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It: polar bears, Dharma, numbers, and the smoke monster have ALL been answered in previous episodes. What hasn't been answered, and perhaps the most puzzling question of all, is why you always pop up to give your 2 cents on something you profess to hate? Is your life really devoid of fulfillment or even entertainment to the extent that you would rather spend your time doing this then something you enjoy? A little self-reflection and perhaps finding something in your life to give you joy just might go a long way with you... and if it doesn't I'm sure there are therapists out there to help you out with finding a clue.

Flag this comment

JudyLL         May 24th, 2010 10:37 am ET

What an emotional, great ending. I love this show.

It was so wonderful to see the characters back together with the ones they loved, like Libby & Hurley, Juliet & Sawyer, etc. That was beautiful and so emotional. Great emotional ending regarding the characters.

I still have a question about the flash sideways though. Some people are referring to it as Purgatory, some are referring to it as the After Life. Could someone explain it to me. I know now that the flash sideways apparently was not real.

Love this show. I also love how they showed transmissions from fans. Very clever.

Emmy awards all around for this group.

Flag this comment

Hubie M         May 24th, 2010 10:37 am ET

"Some died before you and others died after you". LOST, indeed was a show that inspired a movement for this generation. Last night's finale kept me in tears and wondering and pondering about my life and how with each character was a reflection of my own inner fears, demons and life in general.

A great ending to a great show. Like Christian Shepherd said: "We all eventually have to let go"....

Flag this comment

Jim         May 24th, 2010 10:37 am ET

Absolutely awesome... I can die a happy man now..
Watch Lost Finale Free

Flag this comment

Matt         May 24th, 2010 10:38 am ET

I thought the series finale was poorly handled. It was overly long, overly dramatic and completely sappy. The best TV shows realize the drama behind so many years of being a part of peoples' lives (and with LOST only being on for 6 years...it wasn't THAT long-running), but they don't shove that drama in your face every 10 minutes with a sappy flashback and people crying. Over-dramatic in aevery way possible. Yes. It's sad when anything comes to an end. And to have a show end is inherently sad. But to have characters (and the writers behind those characters) constantly yelling at you "THIS IS THE END" for 2.5 hours was excruciating. We know it's the end. So stop BSing around and give us what we really want: closure and answers.

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 10:38 am ET

Jimmy, b/c at the end after jack closed his eyes it showed plane reckage at the foot of where the statue was.

Flag this comment

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »

Andy         May 24th, 2010 10:40 am ET

If you didnt understand the ending, then much like Ana Lucia: "You're not ready yet."
As for the island's secrets, Locke told Jack: "Its just a damn island"

The show was never about the island, it was about the people and their journey.

I personally enjoyed the ending except for the the extra 30 minutes of commercials that drug out the show

Flag this comment

Reggie         May 24th, 2010 10:40 am ET

I've never sen this show. Can someone sum it up quick?

Flag this comment

Deeba         May 24th, 2010 10:41 am ET

I am in the "I use to love it but now am extremely disappointed camp." No I didn't miss the point, I just think it's a pandering and condescending way to end an incredible series. If you are going to completely rip off the ending of Narnia Chronicles at least do it justice. If I wanted to see every character hug in slow motion for the last twenty minutes I would have put on the Hallmark Channel. I mean come on when a hospital procedural drama (shout out St. Elsewhere) does that exact same ending in a more creative manner you've got problems. Also writers how dare you tell everyone it's not purgatory, next time you should probably just say "no comment" and realize that purgatory is an idea to many people more than an exact location and you re-labeling purgatory as a sideways dimension doesn't change the general theme.

Flag this comment

ronjon         May 24th, 2010 10:41 am ET

Why would anyone watch this show? It would be too easy to make some "lost" joke but I don't find this attraction to a garbage show funny. It's rather sad.

Flag this comment

Jim         May 24th, 2010 10:42 am ET

Namaste. See you in another life, brother.

Flag this comment

KisaSkee         May 24th, 2010 10:42 am ET

Maybe it was entertaining, but I'm disappointed. People guessed the first season that this was purgatory, that the islanders had died etc. Producers specifically stated that they were not dead, and this was not purgatory. Why??? They could have stayed silent about it then and kept us waiting. Instead they mislead everyone and lied. If I wanted to be lied to for 6 years, I could have gotten married again.

Flag this comment

Dr. Bombay         May 24th, 2010 10:42 am ET

The final shot of the plane crash explained it all–they all died in the plane.

Very interesting depiction of the battle between heaven and hell, and the trials one must go through on this level to get to the next. Interesting how your father will always be waiting for you...or maybe your grandma or grandpa.

Flag this comment

m         May 24th, 2010 10:42 am ET

Not bad but 5 minutes of the show folowed by 5 minutes of commercials was pretty
freaking distracting!

Flag this comment

Matt         May 24th, 2010 10:42 am ET

So they all died on the plane crash? When did Swyer die? When did Kate die? When did Hurley die? Why did Linus not go into the church, he's not dead ?but at least 20 to 30 years older than Hurley? I feel like they needed to end the show and, I feel thirsty for something more. After this I now know to never get involved in any more shows like this.... total waste of time.

Flag this comment

megrcam51         May 24th, 2010 10:42 am ET

Wonderful finale! What I love about this show is that while you watch it, you have no clue what's going on but it's the thinking and the discussions afterward that makes the lightbulb go off and you realize what a great story you are watching.

When I realized that it was the island that was real and not the "flash-sideways" I was glad because that would have been too predictable. When the island sequence ended with Jack in the bamboo field and the close-up of his eyes, with Vincent barking - WONDERFUL!

Flag this comment

jonthes         May 24th, 2010 10:43 am ET

No, they didn't die in the initial crash and no they didn't die when the bomb went off. They died as seen this season, with the 'sideways' scenes being their 'holding pattern', in fact being flash forwards to their 'limbos' before accepting death. It took me reading posts to get it.

Though it's OK that not everything was explained about the island, the force, what made the Smoke Monster etc. all of that was comic book level, modern comic book level. As was the nuclear bomb, time travel plot. It was a childish level of writing that the first season never stooped to.

I'm actually put off by how religious it was (as opposed to purely spiritual), because no one on the show practiced religion in any way save Mr. Eco, who was a fraud. It was pop religion actually.

Flag this comment

Lost fan         May 24th, 2010 10:43 am ET

I loved the series but it felt a little like a St. Elsewhere kind of ending. I would have liked to seen a more rousing battle between Locke and Jack since they seemed like archetypes-nothing like a fantastic duel to the death. The hints of how it would end were all over the place but that's OK.
To be fair, I think LOST will be viewed as a classic in the future considering the top notch production values and great characters. Cable and broadcast TV such for the most part. This was one of just two TV shows I watch in a week and I will miss the quality of the program. Thanks to all the actors, directors, screenwriters, crew, and producers. It's been a good ride and thank you for the journey.

Flag this comment

Bill K NY         May 24th, 2010 10:43 am ET

Lost is the drawn out version of the 1990 film "Jacob's Ladder."

'Jacob's Ladder' tells the truely terrifying story of a traumatised Vietnam war veteran, who, as he returns to civilian life, begins to hallucinate. Visualising horned creatures and visited by his dead son, Jacob Singer downwardly spirals into a life of confusion and horror as he searches for the truth behind his Vietnam experience and tries to make sense of what is happening to him. 'Jacob's Ladder' is a thriller, a horror, and a 'Twilight-Zone'-style mystery all rolled into this one classic film....

The description of Jacob's ladder appears in the Book of Genesis (28:11–19):
Jacob left Beersheba, and went toward Haran. He came to the place and stayed there that night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place to sleep. And e dreamed that there was a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven; and behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it!

Flag this comment

Steve         May 24th, 2010 10:43 am ET

So, I thought I had it figured out and now you people have me questioning it all over again!

I thought, after last night, that the island was in fact purgatory. I figured that they had all died in the plane crash and were living in purgatory. When the 6 left, they were still in purgatory and had to return in order to finish their business and "let go". Those who had died when on the island had already let go.

Either way, still one of the best series finales ever!

Flag this comment

C         May 24th, 2010 10:44 am ET

A fantastic ending to one of the greatest shows of all time. I loved every moment of the entire series. I'm fine with things being left unanswered then I think if you are hung up on those little things you completely missed the point of the show. I didn't fully expect Lost to end the way that it did but I really liked how it ended. I'm looking forward to starting the whole series over after a little break. A 10 out of 10 IMO.

Flag this comment

Nick         May 24th, 2010 10:44 am ET

George Lucas called, he wants the end of Return of the Jedi back.

Flag this comment

Master Obvious         May 24th, 2010 10:44 am ET

Ok, so I watched this show like, 3 or 4 times in the 1st season and thats it....and BACK THEN, I INSISTED to my friends, hey folks.....THEY'RE DEAD!!! Sheesh.

Flag this comment

JJ         May 24th, 2010 10:44 am ET

I believe there are two main followers of LOST. You have type A which one could I believe there are two main followers of LOST. You have type A which one could be characterized as “I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It.” That individual seems to be the type that needs questions answered, and there is nothing wrong with that. To question, to be curious, is part of what it means to be human. There is also a type B who may care more about the journey rather than having the questions answer, and that too has nothing wrong with it. That is what is so beautiful about LOST. It is diverse and open for interpretation as long as one approaches it with an open mind.

I for one loved the finale. I’ve never been so moved by a television series before, and I am really going to miss the show and its characters. For me it was all about the journey, and I’m glad I invested my time in the show because my ROI (return on investment) was high for me. The finale left me satisfied and left me thinking. I could not have asked for more.

Flag this comment

Linda         May 24th, 2010 10:44 am ET

I watched in awe as the finale unfolded. Though I remained somewhat confused at its conclusion, reading some of the posts has helped. For instance, I couldn't understand why Penny was at the church, but if it represented the living also letting go of the dead, I can get that. As I have with many of the episodes, I will certainly watch the finale again (and probably again and again) until I can truly "let go" of Lost. While this was a phenomenal show, I hope it opens the flood gates for other series that treat the audience like intelligent people capable of the thought necessary to come to conclusions. I also thought repeating several key episodes with plot assistance under the video was a great way of providing some background to the scenes that might have occurred in other seasons / episodes and might have been forgotten. Kudos to all involved in the writing, producing and directing the show, and a million thanks to the brilliant cast. It could not have been more satisfying....

Flag this comment

Debbie         May 24th, 2010 10:44 am ET

I need to sit down and watch all 6 seasons at once. I loved the show the first few years and the spotty times after that when I found the time to watch. Good serial TV shows that make you think are so few and far between. If you need everythign spelled out for you, this is not your type of show.

Flag this comment

LISA         May 24th, 2010 10:45 am ET

I was very disappointed and expected much more. It was all wrapped up in a pretty bow with no real answers. Come on people it was just shy of the Bobby Ewing Dallas dream.

I loved Lost, wasted 6 years of my life on this bummer ending. Anyone who really loved the show as I did should see the disasterous ending this was. Yead it was emotional, but you have to have substance too. Hopefully someday, a big screen movie can be done and clean this mess up.

Flag this comment

Laura R.         May 24th, 2010 10:45 am ET

what I took from the finale, is this whole thing boiled down to Jack. His journey through this whole thing and the people that he interacted with on the way. The island, jacob, the man in black, the others, they were all secondary really, props along his journey. Ending with his eye (like in the pilot episode) watching the plane with Frank, Richard, Miles, Sawyer, Kate and Claire leaving the island was very poetic. Jack handing the torch to Hurley, who kept Ben as his Richard. Desmond was injured but alive. The boat that Desmond shipwrecked on was still at Hydra Island, so maybe he could use it to return to Penny. The sideway parallel universe being just a meeting place for all these people to come together when they died to "remember" each other before they crossed over. Loved that Jack got to talk to his father who told him, that yes he was dead, that they all were, but some before others. There was no time in this place. Even though Kate, Sawyer and Claire were there, they really had not died yet, but would in time and cross over like he would. Christian then walks through the chapel looking at all of them, he opens the doors to a bright light and walks in it. I assume they would walk though it in the order that they died. So the last 3 would be Kate, Sawyer and Claire, since they were technically still alive. One thing is when the credits were rolling, they showed the 815 airplane wreckage, and it crossed your mind "did they all die in the crash" but I really dont think so. I think it is just to remind us that these people were total strangers before and became closer than family. I've read some comments on face book. About half hated the ending and feel like it was a waste of 6 years, but I think I understand what they are trying to say, that Jack needed to let go, of alot of stuff. And in the end he did, and found peace.

Flag this comment

Debbie         May 24th, 2010 10:45 am ET

I meant "everything" in my last sentence.  :-P

Flag this comment

Fred Boge         May 24th, 2010 10:46 am ET

Spot on Bill K NY !

Flag this comment

BrickellPrincess         May 24th, 2010 10:46 am ET

I am so glad that it is over. You can tell the writers ran out of ideas and were just piecing anything together to fill an hour of TV. Good riddance! That show turned into a hot mess.

Flag this comment

Earth         May 24th, 2010 10:47 am ET

Everyone's raving about what amazing tv last night was and yea it was good emotional tv with lots of reunions and a definitive ending, but you're all forgetting about the time wasted on now seemingly irrelevant storylines like number punching and dharma initiative and walt and etc etc etc etc.

I was the biggest Lost fan for 2+ seasons until I realized it was just twist after twist going nowhere with the incessant promise that something would actually happen. I only watched the finale to see what kind of cop out ending they were going to give this. Fine, they're dead...I get it. Some rich hollywood guys just took you for a ride and got richer off it, throwing you a bunch of bs about spirituality and science in the process.

And boy did Nadia get the shaft! I guess Sayid opted not to rejoin with the love of his life like Des and Penny did in the church and instead went with the chick he banged on an island for a few days??

Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:08:55 pm »

Amanda         May 24th, 2010 10:47 am ET

Personally I was irked that they kept interrupting the commercials for more LOST. (kidding hope you know)

Flag this comment

anonymous         May 24th, 2010 10:47 am ET

For anyone to assume he or she knows what occurs beyond physical death is pretty lame.

Regarding the concept of discarnate spirits that remain at the physical level without a body beyond physical death, which of the LOST characters became one?

I mean to say, every one of them actually raised his or her consciousness to the level of full understanding of their reality as a spirit being?

COME ONE!!!!!!!!!!

Flag this comment

junk         May 24th, 2010 10:47 am ET

i cannot believe those who cried over this show....makes me wonder what your life is like, seriously...

finale sucked...too many unknowns...for the first 4 seasons Dharma and the number sequence played a pivotal part, only to be dropped from the show completely...very poor job in my opinion...

Flag this comment

Confused         May 24th, 2010 10:48 am ET

Does anyone know why Kate had changed out of her "little black dress" when she showed up in church ? Must have been the nuns !

Flag this comment

jeanne         May 24th, 2010 10:48 am ET

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DOG?Huh?Huh???

Flag this comment

Alan         May 24th, 2010 10:48 am ET

Question for you Lost fanatics – what ever happened to Walt and Michael and why were they not in the final episode?(but the dog was).

Flag this comment

Kurt         May 24th, 2010 10:48 am ET

In regards to people wanting to know what the numbers were, when they showed the names on this list they each had a number next to them, with the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 each corresponding with the characters not crossed out.

With that said I loved it, it couldn't have ended any better. Sure there are things left unanswered but it wouldn't be LOST without those lingering questions.

Flag this comment

Karen         May 24th, 2010 10:48 am ET

The article did not say the island was purgatory, only that Desmond was aware of the purgatory (or what we thought were the flash sideways) while he was on the island. Also, they were not dead on the island.

Everything that happened on the island was real, what was made up was the alternate universe. They all lived lives on the island, and formed these relationships. So when they all died, they made up a place to sort of wait for one another. So when they had all passed away, they were able to reunite before letting go and moving on.

Flag this comment

Skier         May 24th, 2010 10:49 am ET

I thought the ending pretty well hit the mark, but I too believe there were questions unanswered. I would love to know if the 6 ever really left the island and came back. What was actually real? They had to have survived the crash or there would not have been a connection between them. I would really like to have known when and how they died. I was really pleased with the way they were "paired" in the end. I will forever be "lost" in "LOST"

Flag this comment

Voice of Reason         May 24th, 2010 10:49 am ET

For the people who "didn't get it." Don't worry, there is a show that you can understand coming up soon on ABC. It's named "Wipeout." It still may be a little tough for you to figure out, but you'll still enjoy it.

Flag this comment

TJ         May 24th, 2010 10:49 am ET

And I thought the ending of the Sopranos was bad!! Way to go writers of Lost, you eclipsed THAT benchmark.

Flag this comment

tesleen         May 24th, 2010 10:49 am ET

I choose not to give I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It any of the attention he/she so desperately craves.

I don't think anyone else should either.

Flag this comment

Mike         May 24th, 2010 10:50 am ET

Kelly: Are you referring to the final scenes of wreckage? I think that was Oceanic 815's wreckage. At first, I took that to mean that they didn't really survive the crash, but I don't necessarily think that's the case.

Flag this comment

Joe         May 24th, 2010 10:50 am ET

Kelly, wasn't that just a recap of the original crash that started it all???

Flag this comment

junk         May 24th, 2010 10:51 am ET

@Karen – if everything that happened on the island was "real", how do you explain time travel on the island? there are so many questions about the island left unexplained, that it shows they just threw this together with no idea where they were headed...

Flag this comment

Aaron         May 24th, 2010 10:51 am ET

I have to disagree. I was happy with the ending right up until the very end. They are dead!? Man, I felt slapped. I guess I just wish for the obvious happy ending. I wish that it just would have stayed the way it was going, or at least where I perceived it to. They are all ALIVE and remembered what had happened on the island, that is what I will tell myself.

I for one thought two hours of a six year re-cap was wasted air time. I am sorry but explaining to folks what was going on, on the last show was pointless. The interviews, MEH, that could have been saved for the DVD or heck even a Tuesday nights "Farwell to Lost" episode.

Flag this comment

Wutta         May 24th, 2010 10:51 am ET

To: I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It.

I fear you might have missed a couple of episodes. The origin of the smoke monster was explained, as were the numbers and the presence of polar bears on the island and even Dharma. I suggest a reviewing on DVD so you don't miss a thing.

Flag this comment

Rob         May 24th, 2010 10:52 am ET

The show never really promised answers to questions, just a conclusion to the story.

Leaving questions unexplained is always better than unsatisfying explanations.

Flag this comment

tesleen         May 24th, 2010 10:52 am ET

Karen you "got it"

Flag this comment

Jay         May 24th, 2010 10:52 am ET

To all who didn't agree with the ending, please reconsider. I've been thinking about it all day since I awoke this morning. It ended like I thought it would. Not answering all of our questions, but making us think about the life were in now. Jack and his dad made me think that when we die, we will be with the people that matter the most, and to me that was the point of the last show. Seeing the smiles and relief from the characters, is I think the emotion we feel when death comes to a person, and come on the scene with Saywer and Juliet is one that won't be forgotten. I'm ordering all six seasons on DVD, and can't wait to start this over again.

Flag this comment

Ellis Island         May 24th, 2010 10:52 am ET

I looked back at the end footage with the plane wreckage, and it looked like the original wreckage...not wreckage at the foot of the statute. Nonetheless, great series, great acting, great finale.

Flag this comment

Oceanchic         May 24th, 2010 10:53 am ET

Hated the ending. Was sad to see Jack die a slow death & give island control to Hurley. Seeing them all at the end dead (even if they were happy) was too sad!

Flag this comment

JR         May 24th, 2010 10:53 am ET

Losties,

Maybe now you´ll have time to get a life.

Flag this comment

anonymous         May 24th, 2010 10:53 am ET

"Jacob's Ladder' tells the truely terrifying story of a traumatised Vietnam war veteran, who, as he returns to civilian life,"

Correction for Bill K –

He never returned to civilian life except in his mind. His 'return' to civilian life was a dream... His whole experience in civilian life was on that table in the tent, where he was dying, in Vietnam.

Flag this comment

Deeba         May 24th, 2010 10:53 am ET

It's not that the people who did not enjoy the finale want questions answered, we simply want an ending that challenges us and is intelligent. That ending was neither, just complete trite that pandered to everyone who wanted an ending about as thoughtful provoking an after school special. I mean at least the original "Prisoner" had the guts to make a completely nonsensical ending with originality and panache. I'd take that any day over "and they were all dead but alive and they hugged. Each person was on a special journey and had closure."

Flag this comment

Eric         May 24th, 2010 10:54 am ET

Great finale! It was better than I expected and I liked the twist at the end. Now the Lost withdrawls begin  Sad

Flag this comment

JotSingh         May 24th, 2010 10:55 am ET

I'm 70, I'm male, and I'm macho and rarely get emotional. The only time I cried as much as I cried over this ending of LOST was when Radar was going home of Korea on M*A*S*H.

I had guessed a couple weeks ago what the ending shot of LOST would be (Jack's eyes... as in the opening episode, season one) but didn't anticipate Vincent.

Shouldn't Vincent have been at the church?

Flag this comment

The L         May 24th, 2010 10:56 am ET

For those of you commenting that answers were given you should list what those are as well. You can tell who the fair weather viewers were. They are the people asking about polar bears. However, there are important questions that SHOULD have been answered for the faithful viewers and it's a kick to the crotch of fans everywhere to have to "imagine" the answers. Here's a partial list of questions that should have been answered:
- What was that box that made anything you'd like appear (ex: Locke's father)?, Why didn't the light/tunnel turn Desmond and Jack into smoke monsters?, What were Dharma's findings?, Where did all of the others go?, Where did the rest of the passengers go?, Why was Walt special?, How did Eloise's pendulum thingy find the island?
That's just to name a handful...there are SOOOO many more that SHOULD have been addressed by the series end. And having Vincent show up and be with Jack was kind of trite....anyone want to take a guess at what dog spelled backwards is?

Flag this comment

Mike B         May 24th, 2010 10:57 am ET

What a ridiculous conclusion. And they had me to the end – I was frustrated along the way, but compelled enough by the mystery to want to stay with it. And, by the way, this was not a "character show." These characters never controlled the story, they were chess pieces moved not by Jacob, but by the writers who didn't have a clear endgame that satisfied. For a character show, see Six Feet Under, see The Sopranos, see NYPD Blue – what makes them "character shows" is that the characters and their personalities direct the events of the show based on who they are as people. In LOST, the characters did stuff because...well, they figured it was what they needed to do, I guess, but no other reason. Please – this is not a character show, this is a writers' exercise show and nothing more.
So the island story did happen, and the parallel universe is purgatory – not buying that, 1, and 2 – the only reason it's purgatory and a runway (cuz it started on a plane, right?) to the afterlife? Because that's the choice the WRITERS made, NOT THE CHARACTERS. Did Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, Locke, Ben, blablabla – they were all so hung up that their souls couldn't move on? I didn't see that show. Toward the end of the series, they seemed much more at piece, but it seems the creators decided to pull the rug from under us in the last moment for their own catharsis. Their souls or their ability to move on from the spirit world... I never cared about that. This was a show about the mysteries, because those were the elements the creators wrapped the story around, not the characters. Ultimately, this show is inconsistent in the worst ways – the sci-fi/magical elements of the Island are made irrelevant (and poorly dramatized – a season long battle ends with the guy getting shot? Fail.) with the afterlife conclusion, and the characters themselves are undermined in that the parallel universe/purgatory alludes to a much more troubled inner world of the characters that the creators kept us, the audience, outside of right to the end. I cannot say how disappointed I am.

Namaste? Eff off.

Flag this comment

Jessica         May 24th, 2010 10:57 am ET

I love this show, and anxiously watched the finale. I had trouble with the last five minutes, and coming to the realization that the flash-sideways were not real. I get that Jack died on the island, and others in the church either died before him or perhaps long after him. After reading other posts on this, I understand. The reunions between couples and friends were so emotional, and I guess the line that helped me understand the passage of time between the Island and their deaths, was when Kate said to Jack "I've missed you so much." She's missed him so much because he died on the island and she survived, got off and lived her life for however many years and then died and is now seeing him at the portal to the afterlife.

But, what I didn't understand:

I don't understand why Ben didn't go into the church, what held him back?

I don't understand why Ana Lucia, Michael & Walt, and other characters weren't in the church? Someone else also mentioned Echo; why wasn't he there? He died on the island. Just my opinion, I think they didn't answer the Walt questions merely bc it's been six years the show's been on tv and the actor has grown up; he was a kid when it started! If he was supposed to have died on the island as a child, then his real-life growth wouldn't have worked.

If there was supposed to be a passage of time between the island and when they meet up in the church, I don't understand why Claire's baby, Aaron, was still a baby? And why was Sun still pregnant? Does that mean that they too actually died when Aaron was a baby and when Sun was still pregnant, which is how they enter the afterlife?

I was surprised they brought Boone and Shannon back. And I also don't understand how Bernard and Rose made it into the church when they didn't show them "remembering". Unless that was in a past episode, like Hurley and Libby.

I get that the alternate realities were just from their own imaginations...but I don't think that explanation fits for all of them, aside from Jack, who imagined himself having a son, because he wanted one; that's a pleasant reality, but, I don't think Kate would imagine she was still running from the law, I don't think Sayid would imagine he killed four people, I don't think Charlie would imagine himself a drug addict. And if the alternate timeline isn't real, how are they able to choose to continue to exist in it- Daniel and Charlotte, Ben, and the other survivors who "aren't ready"?

I really like this show because it made me think each week, but there are a lot of things unanswered, and I guess as the CNN blogger said, that is aggravating, but most of the important stuff was answered.

Flag this comment

BigAl         May 24th, 2010 10:57 am ET

deeba, you got that right about the prisoner, was THAT a weird ending!

Flag this comment

Bill         May 24th, 2010 10:57 am ET

When talking about why Michael wasn't there at the end, or Linus, or Ana Lucia, etc., I just made the assumption that it was either because it was either that gathering was only for the people closest to Jack, or that the people not there didn't make it to heaven. Certainly I could see why Linus didn't (couldn't?) go in with everything he did, and ditto for Michael and Ana Lucia.

Flag this comment

lkbarr         May 24th, 2010 10:57 am ET

the more I think about it, the more I like it. I didn't think I would cry, but I did get sentimental in parts, especially when Jack died. I still don't know that I understand it entirely, but that doesn't matter. The ending was well acted and touching, and it felt right to me.

Flag this comment

junk         May 24th, 2010 10:58 am ET

see, i'm with "The L"...to many important questions left unanswered...

Flag this comment

Frankie         May 24th, 2010 10:58 am ET

Kelly,,

Great eyes, i saw that too

Flag this comment

george         May 24th, 2010 10:58 am ET

Thoughts on Lost finale. . . . it's possible to love something and be disappointed by it at the same time (I love the Cubs, but they always disappoint me). I would have liked a better wrap-up of some of the mysteries that held us all spellbound for six seasons. Remember, it was the producers and writers who put in all the scientific stuff (elecromagnetic pulses, groups of scientists building bunkers to study the science, Faraday's equations, etc.) and to switch it all over to metaphysical stuff at the end was. . .I don't know. . the easy way out.
I want a movie that combines the two – maybe that explains the unified theory of elecctromagnetism, gravity and the strong and weak nuclear
attrection as being generated or concentrated by the island, and which, because of the strength of the unity, acts as a way station for the soul. Don't break your leases in Hawaii, guys, get writing.

Flag this comment

Benjamin         May 24th, 2010 10:58 am ET

I think I'm going to enjoy the 24 finale more.

Flag this comment

mmhnc         May 24th, 2010 10:58 am ET

dumbest. show. ever. writers are morons. so glad its over. what a terrible ending. lost haters were right all along – no one – even the writers – knew what the heck was going on

Flag this comment

Russell         May 24th, 2010 10:59 am ET

This was a great ending.. I am still alittle confused, but I do get it. I do not think they were dead. His Pops said that his life on the island was real!! But I want to know when did they all die? Some before others, and they all waited to go to heaven together? Why? I love the lost show, glad its over...Wish I had more answers.

Flag this comment

Mike         May 24th, 2010 11:00 am ET

"one for the ages"? I have a bridge I want to sell you....

Flag this comment

BigAl         May 24th, 2010 11:01 am ET

some xlnt points jessica!

Flag this comment

Terry         May 24th, 2010 11:01 am ET

I gave up on the show after two seasons. I told my wife at the end of the second season, (who watched the entire series) that they were either all dead or all in the same dream asleep on the plane (or perhaps mass psychosis).

What this or that meant throughout the series was irrelevant. They wrote 120 episodes, put a bow (or an old rope) on it at the end, and called it done.

The acting was superb, the location magnificent, but the "story" could have easily been done as a four part mini-series.

People WILL talk for years about the series, draw their own conclusions, and the writers/producers will pick the best scenarios and say "yes, that's what we were trying to do". It'll be like Melville's "Moby Dick" -lots of meaning to be found. But then again, Melville was paid by the word.

Flag this comment

Lost Fan         May 24th, 2010 11:02 am ET

If you're a person who like definitive answers you wouldn't like the ending. It was ambiguous on purpose.

Flag this comment

So they all died?         May 24th, 2010 11:02 am ET

Either in the crash or afterwards?

Does this sound to anyone like a rip off of Dallas when an entire season was a dream?

Flag this comment

John Aaronson         May 24th, 2010 11:02 am ET

Dear me, what will people do now that this show has ended. I guess for some it will be the end of their life.

Hey folks it was a TV show and nothing more

Flag this comment

Amy         May 24th, 2010 11:03 am ET

Loved it!
I have never been so emotionally involved in a show. It has been the longest relationship of my life so far  :)Now that there is no Lost or BSG I have no clue what I'll watch.

I hate that all the time me and my co-workers spent finding all the easter eggs in the show were invalid..but it was fun nonetheless.

Good job and I hope these writers brings us something new and equally as wonderful in the future.

Flag this comment

Josiah         May 24th, 2010 11:03 am ET

I was looking for Mr. Eko, Charles Whitmore, Alexandra Rousseau and her mother, etc., at the end but didn't see them. Did I miss them or does it mean that they were not ready to move on?

I would also like to know what plane that was at the very last seconds. Was it the original crash or did the one leaving with the survivors crash?

Flag this comment

Melissa         May 24th, 2010 11:04 am ET

To those wondering about the "is the island purgatory?" issue, here's my take. Everything that happened on the island was absolutely real. Whatever happened, happened.

The Flash-Sideways was purgatory, where the characters went once they passed, but before they could "move on." For me, the key to this is what Locke says to Jack after surgery: "You don't have a son." Jack's son was created in his purgatory, in order to deal with his relationship with his own father. He needed to get past that before he could move on. All the other characters (in the church) weren't ready to move on until they remembered/realized the connections from their past life (the island). Additionally, Hurley says to Ben outside the church "You WERE a great Number 2." The island happened. Hurley was ready to move on. Ben wasn't (I'm just going to assume he's waiting for Alex to be ready, and will move on with her).

The plane wreckage at the end was the Oceanic wreckage. It was to remind us how far we've come. I like to think the Ajira crew escaped.

Again, this is just my interpretation. I've certainly been wrong before. It wouldn't be LOST if there weren't something left to discuss/debate!

Flag this comment

TheWatchr         May 24th, 2010 11:04 am ET

my only question is if they all died during the initial crash, then how did Penny Widmore end up there if she wasn't on the flight?

all in all, it was a decent episode, but not the finale i expected. it was nice 2 c all the reunions @ the end although Locke ended up being alone

Flag this comment

Kurt         May 24th, 2010 11:05 am ET

I think they all died in the initial crash...seriously, I think that is what the final scene was showing when it showed the original crash scene, but with no one running around. Then everyone in the church died in the church or on the island...with the exception of Penny (she kind of blows my theory a bit, but maybe they squeezed her in for the money shot). That's why Ben didn't enter the church, he hasn't died yet.

Whether I'm right or wrong, I'm stoked, it was a great six years.

Flag this comment

Tony         May 24th, 2010 11:05 am ET

I believe the island was real but was the "experience" on the island real??

At the end credits It seemed like the last 3 shots of the beach and wreckage were showing us that it crashed and nothing came of it. Of course it was only like 8 seconds of shots but it seemed like there were no visible marks of their camp or any years of their little society. .

Is it possible they were dead the whole time and its just a good story?

Flag this comment

Erin         May 24th, 2010 11:05 am ET

May 24th, 2010 10:00 am ET

I think people are confused by the scene during the credits. I don't feel it was intended to show the wreckage to make a point. Lost has a very intense, loyal fan base and as a homage to the fans and to show respect they were showing the viewers the empty Lost set. It was a final goodbye to the show. It wasn’t to provoke thought that they all died on the plane. Furthermore, I feel that Matthew Fox explained it best when he stated that in some cultures it is a belief that to move on you have to face your actual death and all of those who were instrumental in it. That is why some of the people were not in the church that were important parts of the story line. The survivors had to face one another because they made the biggest impact on each other’s lives. Although I am not a science fiction watcher and it’s hard for me to understand I do feel that the ending was implying that the island and all that happened on it was real. They did leave it up to interpretation as they said they would. The biggest indication that the island was real was the conversation with Christian at the end. He told Jack that some died before him some after. You could interpret that meaning that the plane crashed and all of those on it died some before, some after him, but it’s not that logical to me. Hurley and Ben discussing being number 1 and number 2 then would make no sense. Since the scenes were close together I think it was the intention that the writers knew Lost fans would pick Christian’s speech apart so they made the interaction between Ben and Hurley to prove that the speech should be taken to the literal sense that the island was real. The only question I have is why was Juliette Jack’s child’s mother? Why wasn’t his wife there waiting for him? To me she was a key point to the whole story. Had she not died he wouldn’t have been chosen as a candidate on the island at all because he would not have been alone. To me she should have been there. Also if they would have put her there it would explain why he had a child, sadly they could have implied that she was pregnant and it would have made for a more fulfilling end to his life. He would have had the family he longed for and would be ready to move on.

Flag this comment

jdm72         May 24th, 2010 11:06 am ET

to the hater of the series finale; i am an english teacher & if one of my students brought me a paper with such excellent character developments & outstanding plot twists, not only would they get an A+ but i would send them & their brilliant ideas straight to usc film school!!! you were obviously caught up in the details, and couldn't see the big picture- it's the journey, not the destination!!

it's like the ending to the sopranos series; everyone got upset because of the final scene. it doesn't matter what happened to them, what matters is how they got there.

Flag this comment

Jeremy         May 24th, 2010 11:06 am ET

Ih8lost- you clearly do not watch Lost, as all of the questions you wanted answers to (polar bears, Dharma, numbers, smoke monster, etc) have been answered. Unfortunately for you, the producers did not dumb down the show by giving an explicit explanation. However, everything has been explained. The polar bears were brought there as part of a Dharma project to acclimate polar bears to a tropical environment (remember the bear cages and one of the Dharma videos which explained their purpose??), the numbers were tied to Jacob and to the island, they connected Hurley and brought him to the place – no further explanation needed. The smoke monster was created when Jacob threw his brother into the light – Jacobs adoptive mother explained that what happens when you get down there is worse than death. What more do you want to know? Be a smart viewer by figuring things out and making connections. If a show like this is too complicated for you, go watch American Idol.

Flag this comment
Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 03:09:19 pm »

Wes         May 24th, 2010 11:06 am ET

Great ending to probably the greatest TV show of all time. Once we all accepted that we weren't going to get all the answers we've been craving and "let go", it was a lot easier to watch Lost ride off into the sunset. If you focus on the complicated mythos and ignore the journey of the characters then you are missing the point. I don't know if we'll ever see a show as groundbreaking in our lifetimes.

Flag this comment

Mary47         May 24th, 2010 11:06 am ET

Unfortunately missed the season finale, but read the re-cap. The producers ended it appropriately. I kinda figured out about 3+ years ago that everyone was already in the initial plane crash.

The side-flashes didn't really make sense but it was nice to see Ben in an alternate reality of being a good person this season!

All shows must end and all questions never get answered. No one ever completely agrees whether it was good or not.

This show will probably go one like I Love Lucy did in re-reuns for years (probably on another channel) for the people that really didn't want it to end! Goodybye to the Cast and Good Luck on your next Endeavors!

Flag this comment

doggies         May 24th, 2010 11:06 am ET

Did ANYONE else see the tennis shoe on the bamboo as Jack began his last crawl? Now what was that about?
About the only change I would have made would have been to show Jack and Vincent (VINCENT!) before the final scene at the church. Probably just me, but it would have been better to show his death prior to his crossing over.
But oh, wasn't it great?
And forever after, these actors will always be associated with each other, and with "Lost". And that is as it should be.

Flag this comment

Phil         May 24th, 2010 11:07 am ET

I think everyone is missing the ending, everyone died in the plane crash. The island was a intermediate way stop before moving on, a place to deal with unresolved issues.

Flag this comment

jeanne         May 24th, 2010 11:07 am ET

WHAT ABOUT THE DOG?Huh?Huh???

Flag this comment

betty         May 24th, 2010 11:07 am ET

This was an amazing end to an amazing 6 years of following the lives of characters faced with good and evil in the world. Redemption is here for everyone if you accept it and overcome the evil. We face this every day. Some accept and some do not. We will be together forever with those who do. This is what I perceive from the ending. My late husband loved his dog, and I was able to bring him to the hospital for his final days. I know we will all be together in a beautiful afterlife I choose to call Heaven. Well done writers and actors. I will miss you, but you will never lost or forgotten.

Flag this comment

I once was lost         May 24th, 2010 11:07 am ET

To "I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It": First off, let me say that if you're going to use a number in place of letters, get it right – H8. How can you say they didn't explain the smoke monster? It was Jacob's brother after he threw him down the hole. Duh. He could take on the appearance of anyone who had died – himself, Jack's dad, John Locke...

However, I do agree with you that the first few seasons were awesome. I lost interest in it, but continued to watch just because I needed to know how it ended!  Smiley

The finale was great – I teared up at the end. I was almost sad it was leaving.

Flag this comment

Rod Serling         May 24th, 2010 11:07 am ET

The Twilight Zone is a TV classic...not LOST. Sorry, but the writers failed with this series on so many levels.

Flag this comment

The L         May 24th, 2010 11:07 am ET

@ Kelly (I think it was her) Yes, the author did say that pugatory was on the island "Desmond as the only one aware of purgatory on the island makes sense due to his "specialness."" This was in addition to his contradictory statement in the beginning that those of you who guessed the island was purgatory was "not far off".

Flag this comment

Duh         May 24th, 2010 11:07 am ET

Explained in the Finale and on here many times over-they did not die in the plane crash. They were not dead throughout the show. Sheesh.

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 11:08 am ET

I will have to look at the end wreckage again, but i didn't think the first plane crashed by the statue.

Flag this comment

William         May 24th, 2010 11:08 am ET

They didn't die when the plane crashed. They were at the church after all of them finally died. I think it was Jack's dad who told jack that, "Some [died] before you, some long after". My guess is that Hurley and Ben died long after, maybe hundreds of years. Anyways, what the viewers thought was a parallel universe was actually a waiting room kind of purgatory.

Pretty good ending, but I hope that after re-watching the whole show I will find more easter eggs and clues to some questions.

Flag this comment

whatever         May 24th, 2010 11:09 am ET

"Yes..I too can see the silk robe of the king, the one only WISE can see.."

Thats what all I got to say about hypocritics claiming here to be that they get the meaning of "ending"..

Flag this comment

Stel         May 24th, 2010 11:09 am ET

Loved the finale. Very much an emotional experience. Closure to a great series. Answers, smanswers – (although I'd like to know why women on the island – save Claire – couldn't give birth on the island).

Flag this comment

manu         May 24th, 2010 11:09 am ET

My wishful thinking for the final scene was for all of them to be at the concert and party all night to celebrate their redemption and finding their true love and purpose. I guess that would be lame. Anyways the episodes leading to the ending were worthy of the time spent watching. Hope they can come up with another great show like Lost. Thanks a lot to Doc Jensen for providing illuminatination for each episode. Without his intelligent analysis, I'll be LOST.

Flag this comment

Michael         May 24th, 2010 11:10 am ET

That was absolutely incredible – no one will ever be completely satisfied by any finale for this show, but the producers put together an ending that brought closure to a series that always provoked questions and made us seek for the answers – what am I going to do now?? http://www.thesmogger.com/2010/05/24/and-in-the-end/

Flag this comment

Skier         May 24th, 2010 11:10 am ET

What I don't understand is, if you people hated the show so much (some didn't even watch), then why are you even bothering to read and post here? Let those of us who enjoyed the show enjoy this time together, why don't you get "lost".

Flag this comment

William         May 24th, 2010 11:11 am ET

One more thing... didn't notice the whole ending plane wreck was related to the plane that just lifted off, but that would make since because the was C4 on the plane if you remember.

Flag this comment

Melissa         May 24th, 2010 11:11 am ET

@ Jessica: I assumed that in the church, there is no thing as "time." Well, I guess there's no thing as "time" in purgatory. The people in the church are all ready to move on to the afterlife. So, Ana Lucia, Eko, etc aren't ready yet. Ben (I assume) is waiting for someone else.

Aaron is still a baby, because that's how Jack remembers him. That's why everyone else looks exactly like they did in the 6 years we've known them, no matter when they actually died (before or long after Jack).

That's my 2 cents.

Flag this comment

Loren         May 24th, 2010 11:11 am ET

I'm surprised that the writer thinks that the final episode puts a nail in the idea that the island is purgatory. What their letting go was about was their sin and the act that confirmed they let go was an act of redemption, when they embraced a selfless act. Why could't babies be born on the island? Souls can't be born into purgatory. As to the last flight out, it is also an act of redemption.

In any event, the whole show was the "Dallas dream season", in that it seemed to be a collective dream of life continuing after the crash, when equall likely they all died on impact. There is enough ambiguity in the show and the finale to warrant all sorts of interpretations, but purgatory fits for me.

p.s. It's a shame they didn't start FlashForward next year, it should have recaptured the Lost viewers and is worthy of the attention. Unfortunately, ain't gonna happen now.

Flag this comment

amerc         May 24th, 2010 11:12 am ET

.... sooo there's an island. Some people end up stranded there after a plane crash. There's a bunch of monsters and supernatural stuff they deal with for five seasons. Those things aren't explained, but it's okay because everyone's dead anyway.

Flag this comment

Keesh         May 24th, 2010 11:12 am ET

Kelly – they didn't crash. They made it. Christian said that many people died before AND long after Jack did. There is no 'now' means that people died at all different times, but their awareness in the 'sideways' started at the same time. Kate could have been 70 years old when she died for all we know. Let alone how long Hurley was alive running the island.

Flag this comment

Jaime, Miami FL         May 24th, 2010 11:12 am ET

In a time where reality shows ruled the airwaves, Lost, whether you liked the series or not, took us back to a place I call: "the beautiful lie that is TV". I found myself one again doing some appointment viewing, something I had stopped doing a while ago, may be even more than 6 years ago. I must confess, I did get angry sometimes at the "out there" storylines but deep inside I loved being consumed by the fantasy of Lost, that fantasy we all turned reality just by discussing it. Farewell to my favorite TV show- I thank Lost for allowing to use to words once again, hopefully I can get to used them again.
As for the all the questions that were left an answered, just enjoy watching it over and over again- it will be a while before we get to go to another place like "The Island".

Flag this comment

Big Dog Mom         May 24th, 2010 11:12 am ET

Very Emotional ending. Granted not all questions were answered (never figured they would be!). So the whole thing with Vincent at the end -maybe he was a spirit guardian (like in Native American lore). I'm grasping at straws on some of this....
I thought the plane wreckage on the beach was the original wreckage (looked the same to me)

Flag this comment

Teh Numbarz         May 24th, 2010 11:13 am ET

@ I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It: ... and you stuck with it for another 15 episodes and the series finale, even though you "knew it would suck?"

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and guess that you have to go to movies alone because nobody wants to listen to your annoying pessimism.

Flag this comment

Henry Hanks         May 24th, 2010 11:13 am ET

For the record, I believe the "flash-sideways" were purgatory, not the island, based on Christian's statement that everyone died at different times.

Flag this comment

D         May 24th, 2010 11:13 am ET

It was fine, I got it, I enjoyed it, I just would of liked a little more love on the whole time travel thing. Afterall, they did spend about 2 seasons on it. Thought that was a bit weak to ignore it.

It ended like it began, all about the characters, which was fine and expected. No problem there. Would of likes a little more pop though.

Its cool though, great cast, great writers, great crew, great show!

Flag this comment

Amy         May 24th, 2010 11:13 am ET

Are you kidding? This is the biggest cop out ever! It's basically a big dream sequence. What was the point of everything that happened on this island? The Dharma Initiative, the Others, the mothers who couldn't give birth on the island, Walt, etc., etc.Huh? If this was all Jack's journey, then why did so many other characters have story lines that had nothing to do with Jack??? The writers gave us "clues" that no one could use to solve the mystery. Lame, lame, lame. This was the biggest 6-year waste of time ever. Shame on the writers for this.

Flag this comment

Eric Draven         May 24th, 2010 11:15 am ET

I was very disappointed in the show last night. The finale was great up to about 15 minutes left. They're all dead? Very weak.

When did they die? The flash sideways began after Juliette detonated the bomb. Was that when everyone died? Why was Penny in the church? She was never on the island. Why wasn't Anna Lucia in the church?

Way too many questions left on the table. Highly disappointed.

Flag this comment

rando         May 24th, 2010 11:15 am ET

Master Obvious: No you were wrong, they weren't dead until the Flash Sideways or as I'll refer to it now as the "Flash Up."

Flag this comment

Margaux         May 24th, 2010 11:16 am ET

Loved the ending... everything was fantastic.. My only sadness was realized that David Shephard didn't exist. So sad! Otherwise, truly epic.

Flag this comment

ume         May 24th, 2010 11:17 am ET

i have never been so infinitely sad to see a show end. The finale was perfect. for everyone who feels everything was not answered, watch it again. all the important issues were resolved throughout the season.

the end was poignant. if only all of could come to terms with our lives!

Flag this comment

Lostfan         May 24th, 2010 11:18 am ET

I absolutely loved the finale!!!!! I'm really going to miss LOST.

The one thing I'm confused about is the wreckage at the end. I am going to have to watch it again but at first I really thought it was Oceanic Flight 815...just a reminder of how it all began but now after reading these posts I'm wondering if it was in fact the Lapidus flight crashing.

I personally love the guess work and the thinking that has come in to play.

Flag this comment

rlupin81         May 24th, 2010 11:18 am ET

" Desmond as the only one aware of purgatory on the island makes sense due to his "specialness." "

The island was not purgatory, the sideways timeline was. Everything that happened on the island was real. Not sure why this is getting so confused.

Flag this comment

Fine Washables         May 24th, 2010 11:18 am ET

My husband and I have never missed a single episode. We love this show, we talk about it, we analyze it. That's why we were so very disappointed with last night's finale. Yes, the sentimentality was there and it was touching, but the storyline? What exactly happened? We don't know. What did it mean about their time on the island? No idea. What about the parallel lives/sideways reality? What did that have to do with anything? Did the people on the plane get away or not? Was everybody dead from the minute the Oceanic flight crashed? Was everybody inside the church dead? If so, was Ben the only one left alive? Why was Charles Widmore trying to destroy the island? What significance could it possibly have had for him? Who built that big wheel under the island that changes time? Why did they build it? Was the purpose of pressing the button and entering the code related to the light? If so, how? Was the light related to the magnetic field? If not, what was the significance of that magnetic field? Why was everyone in the beginning insisting that it was imperative for the survival of mankind that Clare keep her son Aaron rather than give him up for adoption? What was the sickness that Danielle Rousseau talked about, the thing that made all her companions go mad and kill each other? How did that relate to the plot? Why couldn't anyone on the island give birth to a live baby? Why were the Others so set on killing the Oceanic survivors in the first place? Why didn't Richard get older for all those years? I swear, we're not stupid, but we really are, well, lost.

Flag this comment

Drive Shaft Fan         May 24th, 2010 11:18 am ET

I don't believe that every story necessarily has to be a straight-forward narrative, with a clear beginning, middle and end. For me, it's about creating a feeling and an experience – which I certainly got from this series. I had a lot to think about last night, and it's some of the same things I always think about – my journey. Everyone has an opinion. If you watched LOST and it made you feel something, then I would say it did what it needed to do. What are the important things that give your life meaning and who do you think you will re-unite with before you enter the light? I know who I hope is there waiting for me. The show obviously made people think about things in a different way – or made them think about things they never thought about before.

"You All Everybody" = All Is One.
Namaste.

See you all in another life, brother.

Flag this comment

Ralph         May 24th, 2010 11:19 am ET

I came away from the finale the same way I come away from a good meal – filled and satisfied. My sister is shocked that I predicted correctly that Jack would become the new Jacob, only to be killed by Smokey, after which Hurley would become the new Jack. Very satisfying being right about that one. But the scene in the church at the end was a fantastic way to end the show.

I thought it was significant that Ben wasn't ready to move on, probably because he's waiting for his daughter.

Great show beginning to end!

Flag this comment

whatever         May 24th, 2010 11:19 am ET

WHAT? YOU CAN"T SEE THE SILK ROBE OF THE KING?..oh only wise can see it..

Flag this comment

Banana         May 24th, 2010 11:19 am ET

Sorry I'm still confused... but such is LOST.

Flag this comment

Angie72         May 24th, 2010 11:20 am ET

I cried through most of it. But when I realised that they were dead in the "flash sideways" , I kinda was disappointed. All in all it was an, awesome, long, 6 year ride. I am glad I got to see it.

Flag this comment

MCW         May 24th, 2010 11:21 am ET

1. what was the purpose of jack's son in limbo world?
2. why was sawyer a cop in limbo world? ben a teacher?
3. why was aaron a baby in limbo world? (he did not die as a baby)
4. was widmore ultimately good or bad? (his motives were never clearly stated)
5. why was ben given an opportunity to enter the church, but not michael? (ben's actions in life altruistic, michaels selfish?)
6. were those not in church working off worser sins?

just a start

and oh yeah, i'm a pretty macho dude (a tleast in my own mind) and i cried like a baby several times

Flag this comment

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It         May 24th, 2010 11:21 am ET

Lost fans are as bad as Trekkies, or even worse... Star Wars geeks. Lost fans are completely mindless because everyone was logically thinking or at least trying to logically explain the show until last night and now everyone is piling on the "spiritual" bandwagon. Forget that the finale made no sense whatsoever in relation to the first 5 seasons. The writers could have manufactured any BeeSss and Lost-Fanatics would be like... "I LOVED IT". I call BeeSss on y'all.

Bob Newhart and the Dallas 'Dream' episode. Now you can include Lost finale as the worst show ever!

Flag this comment

DCSumm         May 24th, 2010 11:22 am ET

Love Lost and will miss it, thought the ending was perfect~not all questions in life are answered, but this came close enough. About the island being purgatory, didnt Richard at one point say that it was hell?

Flag this comment

Jaime-take 2         May 24th, 2010 11:23 am ET

In a time where reality shows ruled the airwaves, Lost, whether you liked the series or not, took us back to a place I call: "the beautiful lie that is TV". I found myself once again doing some appointment viewing, something I had stopped doing a while ago, may be even more than 6 years ago. I must confess, I did get angry sometimes at the "out there" storylines but deep inside I loved being consumed by the fantasy of Lost, that fantasy we all turned reality just by discussing it. Farewell to my favorite TV show- I thank Lost for allowing me to use those words once again, hopefully I can get to used them again.
As for the all the questions that were left unanswered, just enjoy watching it over and over again- it will be a while before we get to go to another place like "The Island".

Flag this comment

Steven         May 24th, 2010 11:23 am ET

I started watching lost a little late. I caught up on episodes thanks to series DVD's. Last night when the show finally ended, I just sat, collected my thoughts and thought of all of the many twists and storylines that kept me patiently waiting for Tuedsay nights.

If you know the series and are a "Lostie", than you know. The best part is the show had different meanings to different people. There is no simple black and white answer, it's all interpreted.

I will miss it and I can't wait for some time to go by, so I can watch it over again. They play and we watch Godfather, Forrest Gump, and Star Wars on TV over and over again. Why not watch Lost from start to finish. I'm sure I will see so many things that I missed during the seasons.

I am relieved that it is over, but am having a hard time "letting go".

Flag this comment

Skier         May 24th, 2010 11:23 am ET

Hey Amy, no one forced you to watch the show.

Flag this comment

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It         May 24th, 2010 11:23 am ET

I am the voice of reason here.

Flag this comment

Bob L.         May 24th, 2010 11:23 am ET

Thought it was great!!
For those of you that were looking for ALL the answers to the series answered, life doesn't work that way & you should be watching The Brady Bunch instead...but come to think about it that was on for years & no one figured out the dad was gay, go figure.

Flag this comment

tony         May 24th, 2010 11:24 am ET

I don't think it was a good ending at all. It left way to many unanswered questions. first off who built that drain with a stone plug? and really, the light goes out the island self destructs? if smoky turns into a human when you pull the plug then how is he a danger to the world and 'everyone'? he's mortal when you pull the plug, just shoot him. oh wait, they did that. evil fixed, let the island sink then and be done with it so no other weird evil person can be made. the other timeline, did nobody see 'happily ever-after' episode? Faraday clearly outlined (with a chart no less) that two time lines had deviated at some large event, like a nuke exploding! and they they may be in a different timeline. was that whole episode a dream? did someone wake up and see Jack in the shower and said they had a dream about it? really! there was great potential to write a super ending that could have resolved the questions about two time lines, about desmond's ability to spread both time events, who the heck the 'mother' was and how she got there? the whole things smacks of a show that was planned to go one season then they had to scramble come up with an ending and never planned it out, middle episodes point to that in years 2 and 3. and one last gripe.. where is Mr. Echo? no church for him?

Flag this comment

pattydiva         May 24th, 2010 11:24 am ET

At the end, where they showed the plane wreckage and there was no one any where I thought that meant they all died when the plane crashed in the first episode. Did anyone else see it that way?

Flag this comment

Helena         May 24th, 2010 11:24 am ET

I wasn't disappointed with the finale. It was heroic, epic, spiritual, and romantic. True love doesn't stop with the person you're romantically involved with, it includes all those who journey with you to whatever destination (or "reality") you move toward. You can ask hundreds, or thousands, of fans their take on the program as a whole and each one will have a different answer. It was mystifying, infuriating, and, most importantly, thought-provoking. Thank you.

Flag this comment

Pat         May 24th, 2010 11:25 am ET

I have loved lost since the very first episode. But the finale was a complete let down to me. I do have to wonder if it's ever worth it again to invest time in something like this if they're just going to take the easy obvious way out at the end. There were so many memorable moments throughout the show that would just drop ones jaw in awe. The finale had none of that and was just about emotion. It should have been a tribute to US, the viewers, not all the initial characters from season one.

The finale may have brought some closure to certain questions but overall it was very unsatisfying.

FAIL!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 03:09:44 pm »

seriously         May 24th, 2010 11:25 am ET

I never comment on blogs but.....

LOST is an awesome show. For everyone who wants to dissect the show into the afterlife, remember it's a tv show! The article's author is right....the importance of the show was in the journey, not the ultimate outcome.

The show was entertaining. It fulfilled it's purpose. Move on!

Flag this comment

Tood         May 24th, 2010 11:26 am ET

@ Purgatory: I thought the article said the opposite...that the 'alternate reality' was similar to purgatory and that the island was reality.

Great finale! I'll miss this show.

Flag this comment

RW         May 24th, 2010 11:26 am ET

I for one will NEVER forget that scene with Sawyer and Juliette. It was an absolute tear jerker. Unfortunately for me, I'm not that spiritual a person and didn't want them all to be dead. These characters have been a big part of my life for the last 6 years. Question: why didn't Ben go into the Church? And if Vincent was still on the island (bless his doggie heart), what happened to Walt? I know that I've missed some of the episodes (that's why I now have the DVDs and will start watching again from the very beginning).

Flag this comment

NowIHateLost         May 24th, 2010 11:26 am ET

What a wasteful 2.5 hours and yawned most of the time? I was a big fan up until now. Unfortunately, the finale was a huge disappoint. It seemed like one long crying brigade. Jack crying, Kate crying, Hurley crying, Jack saying "See you in another life brather." Seriously, that line was used too many times. Anyway... Once again, a huge successful show with a lame finale (hint hint Sopranoes). Only Season 1 and 2 will be most appreciated seasons.

Flag this comment

Chris         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

"It didn't answer ANY questions of the island (polar bears"

The polar bears came from the zoo that they showed 3 or 4 seasons ago, moron!

Flag this comment

BigAl         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

patty, i saw one poster say they thought the producers put that in there just to show the set, nothing more.

Flag this comment

Bodhi         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

So, did everyone die in the initial plane crash and the entire island experience was a pseudo purgatory? Or was the island real and they all died at some point on the island and they all met in the church once everyone had died?

Flag this comment

I miss Walt         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

I'm satisfied with the finale. I get it, it makes sense to me, I'm still up in the air about it, but that's neither here nor there.

Did anyone else get annoyed that Walt wasn't in the finale? They built him up as this "special boy" (who I thought would turn out to be the MiB because Mother kept calling him a "special boy"!) who has "special powers" and really understood the island, yet he never came back! And he didn't come back because he grew!? (Harold Perineau said so on Jimmy Kimmel's show afterwards). Lost made enough money that they could've shrunk Walt a la Peter Jackson's special fx in Lord of the Rings. I grew to like Walt and became interested in him, and every season my interest in him kept growing because he was never in it! Then when he stood over Locke, drenched in water, after Ben shot him in the Dharma grave, I didn't know what to think and hoped he'd be back! Sadly... no...

Flag this comment

Kate         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

Perfect ending!!! I think any other way I would have been left wondering what happened to this person or that person. I'm not, awesome show and I actually sad it is over..

Flag this comment

Mark         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

OK, they did not explain the smoke monster. The guy went down the falls, his BODY and the smoke monster came out. So you are saying he died and somehow also became the smoke monster? How come nobody else who went down there became smoke monsters...there were a bunch of skeletons when Desmond walked to the pool of light, did they become smoke monsters? That's another thing, he went down the falls, but he would've had to get up and go to the pool to get to the light. Desmond didn't become a smoke monster, neither did Jack. CASE CLOSED, NO SMOKE MONSTER EXPLANATION. TERRIBLE FINALE.

Flag this comment

Karen         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

Can't stop thinking about the finale. Thumbs UP for a Sawyer and Miles spin off!

Flag this comment

RodbfronNC         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

Told you it was aliens! Thank God this unfollowable pseudo soap opera crap is off the air. I could not follow it and my son with a 187 IQ could not either. Thank God for sports and On Demand!

Flag this comment

LD         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

Laura R. is the only person who seems to really "get" the show and the ending if you look at the big picture and stop worrying about niggling little details. The big picture seems to be all about Jack. It began with his eyes opening, ended with his eyes again. So it was ALL about Jack, his crash, his journey, the relationships, his death.

His father even said at the end some were dead, some not yet, but it didn't matter who was dead or not. Jack was looking back through his life, cherishing people he had known, appreciating the relationships and seeing that THAT was what was important before he could move on with his life. I'll bet that not everyone would have gone through the light with him. And if wasn't really THEM going through the light, it was his idea of them going with him, him taking them with him into his after life or whatever you would call it.

So the plane crash DID have survivors, the island and the time they spent there were real. Some died, some lived after Jack died, but in his mind, during his journey, they were there for him at the end bringing him to the point where he could move on.

I think the other scenes that were not Jack-related, like Sun and Jin seeing their daughter's sonogram, were for us to see what maybe THEIR ending would be like, how THEY would be able to move on, like Jack. I think the final 6 that left the island in the smaller plane DID survive, but that it would show their endings, who they would want in purgatory with them before they could move on. Sawyer wouldn't be able to move on until he reunited with Juliette, and so on. And maybe those scenes were even what Jack would have wanted for his friends, how Jack would have pictured their searches ending. He would have wanted Sawyer and Juliette to find each other before they moved on, since they were so in love on the island before Juliette tragically died.

So the answers are all there, folks, and the story is big and it must be examined in a very broad, overall way. Looking at the big picture, the journey, Jack's journey. I'm sure the implication is that Jack's journey is like everyone else's journey, that everyone might go through a purgatory in this manner, waiting for what they need, who they need, before moving on. I don't think anyone is implying that Jack is unique, but instead that this is the beauty of dying, that you gather around yourself what you need to feel good about moving on.

The "thinkers" out there probably get it, like Laura R. The "non-thinkers" don't. Simple as that.

Flag this comment

Paul         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

To all of the people that "don't get it", you have no ability to ponder the abstract, so just stop trying. I will miss this show and how it makes you think about life, and the ending took me a while to get my mind around, but when I did, makes perfect sense.

Does anyone else think that Ben's "a fewe things to do yet" may include waiting for his "daughter" to be ready?

Flag this comment

Sd123         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

One of the best shows ever!!!

It's been almost 12 hours and people are still thinking and talking about it and will still talk about it for many days to come. As someone mentioned before, the show was about the characters. Just like a great novel, we've come to know and love/hate these characters. Even though there were answers fulfilled and an ending, many things are left to our own imagination. I will miss them all.

Flag this comment

thedude         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

Finale was well acted yes. Am I still a fan of LOST? Yes. However, the whole purgatory storyline was ridiculous. While LOST always had a mystical aspect, that was unnecessary and it was not the right way to end the show. I don't hate lost,, I'm a fan of everything except this side verse storyline. I'm tired of these Sixth Sense type endings. You could've still made the finale about the characters and not done this. To the writers and creators, I'm disappointed in you all.

To take another good show, the re imagined Galactica series with Edward James Olmos had a fitting ending. It went down right. Not LOST. If I ever talk to one of the writers I'll be like, "Dudes, really?"

Flag this comment

Joe         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

Bravo for attempting to put somthing different on TV. I lost interest last year but still kept watching I had to see that end and it there was a hint of Cheese but not to much!

Flag this comment

Bob L.         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It-YOU ARE A MORON!!! We're you really watching the same show?? Everything you mentioned was answered. You are retarded. Maybe the show was a little beyond your scope. You need to put the cork back on the fork & go back to watching Gilligans Island!!

Flag this comment

MK2         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

It was a fun show but they killed the legacy with the end. It will end up being mocked waaaaay more than revered (just watch history prove me right).

one thing is to not clean stuff up or miss some questions (as the audience has invested enough time to come to their own conclusions about those questions left unanswered) but the show gave you no plausibility on many, many things.

As an example, the golden glow and energy (whatever it is) in the middle of the island could have been the electromagnetic nexus of a parallel universe where the smoke monsters come from or where all the combined leprechauns on earth pack and store their pixie dust in between St Patrick’s day.

It could literally be either of those two things or anything else in between.

Maybe they can make a Lost movie called “Lost: the return of the Leprechauns” see…..the mocking has already started…

Flag this comment

chris         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

As frustrating as it was to not see answers to every question, I think that the series was ultimately about the relationships between the characters. For example, the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 were never explained, but in the end it didn't matter. What mattered was that it pitted Jack and Locke against one another, or on a deeper level, faith versus rationality. The evolution of the characters, especially Jack, to what we saw this season was the most important aspect of Lost. Yes, it would have been great to get some more answers, but I think many of the more maddening questions on Lost were simply there to advance the plot towards its ultimate conclusion, which was to realize the inherent good in people, and to call attention to the nobility of many characters' actions when it mattered most.

Flag this comment

Petra         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

I generally enjoyed how Lost ended. Jack dies, but it's to restore balance and save the island. I have a hard time wrestling with the whole "meeting up in the afterlife" flashes because I'm not a religious person.

Flag this comment

Jabroni         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

so you are telling me that a show that makes 66% of its episodes about a subject (the darma initiative) and then just tells its viewers "oh yeah that was just all subplot and doesnt matter a wink in the end, and then tries to pass it off as "its the JOURNEY that matters" is a good show? thats complete B.S. face it, this show jerked us around for 6 years, and not one episode went by without someone saying "come with me and ill tell you everything." WHEN DID THEY TELL US EVERYTHING?

to all those people who cried at the end: you realize they just turned it into a huge chick flick "its the relationships and the love they shared and they FOUND eachother at the end!" thats a gosh darn cop out, and you bought it hook line and sinker. it was a terrible show that they dragged out in slow motion for the last 30 minutes like it was the "reunion show" of some crappy reality TV show like Flavor Flav's.

i agree with I H8 LOST...very shoddy storytelling.

Flag this comment

hasselhoffer         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

It was a very good season finale. Finale is not the best show of the series, far from it. it's a retrospective with an ending – they did a good job. Think seinfeld, m*a*s*h, etc. compare finale to finale. It's very good ending.

Flag this comment

aingeal888         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

The scene in the church where all the characters congregate at the close, all of them dead, is a direct rip-off of Places in the Heart - the old Sally Fields movie. In that movie everyone - the murderer, the one he killed, people you saw get killed in a tornado - even the dog, as here - showed up in a church, and all were laughing, hugging, and singing together. There was NOTHING original about the ending.

Flag this comment

Michael         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

To those who insist that the characters died in the plane crash: I understand your confusion but that's not what happened. Please believe me that the characters lived on the Island. The characters came together in Sideways World following their awakening. For example, Sun and Jin knew they were dead during their awakening. But they were content in the knowledge.

The wreckage scene just accentuated the fact that all but Jack, Hurley, and Ben were gone. There were no other survivors (if Desmond left the island as presumed).

The beauty of Lost, in my opinion, is in the way the writers led us to answers but did not explicitly explain the mysteries.

In the 15 minutes after the finale, I didn't much like it. But as I pieced the story together, I understood.

If you like your story-telling with less complexity, that's you're right. That's not to say you have to be smart to understand Lost. But you must be willing to invest in the understanding.

Just don't expect Lost to fit your need for a lighter fare.

Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:41 pm »

LeftEmpty         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

The finale was good overall, but apparently the producers took the money and ran a few years ago. During the success of the first season, many viewers thought the island was purgatory and everyone was dead. I remember that the producers actively denied that the island was purgatory and yet they ran episodes for five more years. And guess what, after all the billions of dollars they made off of us, the island was actually purgatory. If the producers admitted it six years ago and ran with it, we wouldn't have another Sopranos-type disappointment.

Flag this comment

Lostie         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

Perfectly brilliant, gracious ending to the smartest show in history. The poor argument critics are either not loyal viewers or lacking in analytic intelligence. If you don't get it, you don't get it. This is not a trance-inducing; turn-your-brain-off type of show. As the creators have always said, the show is firstly about the characters. If you’re dissatisfied with the lack of complete explanation, you are not a true “Lostie” as the ending was perfectly faithful to the “Lostian” tradition

Flag this comment

Jan         May 24th, 2010 11:31 am ET

The ending was beautiful. I interpreted the sideways views as each person's thoughts as they were dying. And I also thought the plane crashed as it attempted to leave the island. The reuniting of lost love was emotional and the final scenes were amazing. Each actor had a look of pure joy on their face. That was inspirational. I was not disappointed.

Flag this comment

EricPDX         May 24th, 2010 11:32 am ET

Worst series finale in television history. They may have answered what the sideways world was (sort of) but 98% of what the show was about was NOT answered. It is nothing more than the creators and the network walking away from it all because they never had any answers themselves. It is a total cop out that they conveniently said, "Oh, figure it out for yourself."

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:32 am ET

Kelly, That was the original wreckage from 815 shown at the end and it was nowhere near the statue.

Flag this comment

Carla         May 24th, 2010 11:32 am ET

So am I the only one who thinks that the entirety of LOST (all 7 seasons) was simply a hallucination that Jack had while he lay dying from the original plane crash?? I *loved* the finale. My initial thought was that the whole thing was in Jack's mind - and that was okay. But reading all of this, I'm also okay with the island being reality and the sideways being purgatory. It all being a hallucination answers every single question, though.

Flag this comment

Joe         May 24th, 2010 11:33 am ET

I thought the last scene of almost everyone "passing on" together was fitting to the the "Live Together, Die Alone" statement that was a staple of the show. I totally agree that Jack dying with Vincent by his side MADE that ending. As a fan, I didn't need an answer to everything. Being the character driven show that LOST was, I was much more interested in how the show would end for the characters than in who built that stupid statue or how MIB became a smoke monster. I loved it...NAMASTE my friends, thanks for the last 6 years!

Flag this comment

Lostie         May 24th, 2010 11:33 am ET

LeftEmpty- You are wrong and evidently didn't even read this article for which you are commenting, because it is spelled out: "Those of you who thought the island was purgatory were wrong"

Flag this comment

TheEnd         May 24th, 2010 11:33 am ET

Dallas! Anyone! Remember? It was only a dream....Artistic license has been evoked on this, the final season. I would have liked to see some sort of conclusion on the split lives of the Oceanic 6 in which either the rescued ego or the island ego survived. Then, let the island go away. No sequel in this show! Still, it has provoked more water cooler discussions than the Bush\Gore election. A well done!

Flag this comment

Dexter         May 24th, 2010 11:34 am ET

Pathetic. You can read whatever you want into this, but after 6 seasons all you get the series equivalent of Pam Ewing waking up to Bobby in the shower. Who are these guys kidding?

Flag this comment

Seth         May 24th, 2010 11:34 am ET

One of the most moving and hopeful ending of any TV series or movie I have seen. Very few TV Series or movies have moved me in a way the Lost finally did, and the entire series overall. This is one people will refer to and talk about for decades possibly. Well done.

Flag this comment

Carrie Gourley         May 24th, 2010 11:35 am ET

Lost was the best TV series ever. The ending was special and uplifting. It was definately a tearjerker, and as for me, a person of faith, the ending wasabsolutely perfect.

Flag this comment

The L         May 24th, 2010 11:36 am ET

wait...unless the author was saying that Desmond (on the island) was aware of purgatory (in the other timeline). Jeez...did the author of this article write for LOST?
I have to agree with the person who said that the writer/producers of the show admitted early on that there was no purgatory situation and that everyone is not dead. They did admit that. What an overall rip off.

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 11:36 am ET

All the other little unaswered questions don't matter. We know what happened to them, it was about the people. But I still need to watch the end and see the plane wreckage.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:37 am ET

For MCW:

1. what was the purpose of jack's son in limbo world?
Dunno but it doesn't matter.
2. why was sawyer a cop in limbo world? ben a teacher?
I'm guessing that they chose who/what they were in "limbo world".
3. why was aaron a baby in limbo world? (he did not die as a baby)
Aaron wasn't in "limbo world". You only saw him when the Oceanic 6 got off the island, which wasn't "limbo world".
4. was widmore ultimately good or bad? (his motives were never clearly stated)
Nobody knows. Alan Dale, the actor who played him, even said he doesn't know last night on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
5. why was ben given an opportunity to enter the church, but not michael? (ben's actions in life altruistic, michaels selfish?)
Michael hasn't "let go", he's still a whisper wondering the island.
6. were those not in church working off worser sins?
No, they just haven't "let go".

Flag this comment

stet         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

LeftEmpty, were you paying attention at the end? The island was not purgatory, but the alternate time line was.

Flag this comment

Hurley is Fat         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

Many comments up, Amy actually says "I have never been so emotionally involved in a show. It has been the longest relationship of my life so far "

Wow. Nuff said about the Lost fantards who will make this show out to be something way greater than it actually was.

Flag this comment

woodie         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

It was bloated, overdone, melodramatic, and religulous. A back slapping party. I'd have preferred they just left it with Locke dead and Hurley on the Island. The mystery is now destroyed and terribly uninteresting.

Flag this comment

lostie         May 24th, 2010 11:38 am ET

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It:

"didn't answer ANY questions of the island (polar bears, Dharma, numbers, smoke monster, etc)..."

instead of complaining about it, try watching the show...in detail...because they've already answered those questions

Flag this comment

Riley         May 24th, 2010 11:40 am ET

My take on this whole series is that it is allegorical. The island is a representation of every man's journey to enlightenment. I don't see it as purgatory. When Jack's father said there is no "now" here...I believe that when Ben, Daniel, Lapidus and the others are ready to let go, the group will just include them. Makes no difference when they decide they are ready.

Flag this comment

Kathy         May 24th, 2010 11:41 am ET

My understanding: The island was real, but obviously had mysterious not-entirely-explained forces at work. The flashbacks and flashforwards were real. All of the characters lived and died as seen in previous episodes. Those who survived into the finale and wasn't shown to die during the course of the finale lived the rest of their lives (separately or together, on or off the island) for days or years or even centuries (since we don't know how long Hurley and Ben stayed on the island) that we don't know anything about. When each of them died, at different times over the years, they found their way slowly back to each other in an afterlife by way of the flash sideways limbo. Time in limbo is completely subjective, so though it was presented as one time stream, it was different for each of them depending on when they died. Everyone in the church was dead and moving together into the afterlife, since the bonds they had made on the island were stronger than anything else in their lives. I looked for Vincent in the church too, but didn't see him, which somehow made me sadder than not seeing the other people who weren't there.

The producers didn't lie about the island being purgatory or the 815 passengers dying in the crash, because it wasn't, and they didn't. I'm happy to have seen the relationships strong and meaningful at the end, and glad the writers didn't pander to idiots by forcing some kind of answer to every single weird happening throughout the six seasons. A little mystery makes life more interesting.

Flag this comment

Liz         May 24th, 2010 11:41 am ET

There are those in this world who don't have the mental ability to truly see what an intelligent, well-planned show this has been. Best to disregard those who comment on this site through ignorance or inability to comprehend the incredible complexities presented by the writers/creators and those whose impatience drove their reactions. I'm so glad I kept watching even though friends struggled with this show and quit. The questions unanswered were left where they should have been, and the important questions (resolution for each key character) were satisfying and comforting. Great ending, thanks for the great ride!

Flag this comment

Lostfan         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Was everyone in the church dead or were some alive? I thought they were all dead but read that wasn't case.

Flag this comment

#1 Lost Fan         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

I really don't know how people claim to be fans of lost and still like that awful finale. It tried to change the whole basis of the show. Lost was a sci-fi/mystery based series. That is what kept people coming back week after week. Trying to turn it into a character based/religious show did not work at all. No true lost fan could have enjoyed that ending.

Flag this comment

tutone         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Watched every episode, all the answers are there, and the journey was beautiful. This was more than a show to me, and so many people, and I can proudly say I am a Lostie for life. I think these to writer/creators gave us something to entertain, but also make a difference in who we are, there is always time to make things right, all you have to do is let go and make the best of what you can, even though we fight, love and friendship is what matters.........I cant think of a show that leaves a message a like that, I love it and will miss every minute of it.

Flag this comment

Steve         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Clearly, I H8te Lost isn't ready to "let go" yet..........

Flag this comment

Paul James         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

did anybody watch the Jimmy Kimmel Live afterwards? Jimmy interviewed Matthew Fox and asked him if his assumption was correct.

Flag this comment

Justin         May 24th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Here is my take on Smokey –

The source imbues the protector of the island with enough power to protect it. It gives them the power to summon people, set rules for the island, etc. Upon discovering the murder of his mother, all of Jacob's rage coalesced around his brother and transformed him into a creature of fear and hatred. It was a physical expression of Jacob's mental anguish, enabled by the power of the island granted to the protector.

Flag this comment

heather         May 24th, 2010 11:43 am ET

LOVED THE FINALE LAST NIGHT!!!

For those who are still a little confused, this is my take on it (I could be wrong though).

The sideways reality was their purgatory. It was created by the souls of those who hadn't accepted their death...yet. Once each experienced a similar significant event which happened to them on the island in the sideways reality...they instantly remembered their love for each other; how they died and what they meant to each other. They were able to "move on" to heaven. Jack was the last one of the group to be able to accept his death.

What happened on the island was the actual reality. Jack did die on the island in the end there. I believe (and this is where the writers allow you to use your OWN imagination) that those on the plane who made it off the island in the end – Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Richard, etc. – made it back to the mainland and continued their life journey as best they could.

Obviously, Hurley and Ben remained on the island and protected it as best they could. Hurley made up his own rules to run the island with Ben as his number 2 man. Sounds like they made a good team in the end there.

Since the most significant moments and times in their lives ocurred on the island – that was their eternal bond – in mind, body and soul. Which is why they were all there in the end (including Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and Claire) with Jack to help him "move on" to heaven. He had to "let go" of purgatory by stop trying to fix things (his and others lives/relationships) and just accept his death.

Kinda sad that Jack and Kate didn't have their actual reality "happy ending" but the fact they're reunited in Heaven is fitting.

AWESOME SERIES FINALE!! The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I must've cried on and off for those 2.5 hours last night. Sad to see a good show go...but it's one for the memory books.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:43 am ET

Kelly, save yourself some time. Here's a link to screen captures of the last frames. You'll see it's the original wreckage and no statue.

http://gallery.lost-media.com/displayimage-1557-1743.html

Flag this comment

RDU         May 24th, 2010 11:43 am ET

Plain crap. Cop out for the producers and writers enjoy your DVD sales!!

Flag this comment
Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It         May 24th, 2010 11:44 am ET

After reading some of the comments directed towards me I'd like to say NOT ONCE did I personally attack anyone on here. That's one of the problems I have with Lost-Fanatics. You can't express your opinion or dislike for the show without them taking it personal. I bet if we were in a room together some of you would string me up and flog me. But hey, I used to love the show. But I fell out of love with it and think it's the worst thing put on TeeVee. So if it makes some of you feel better to attack me to defend a show that wasn't good please do so. Doesn't bother me in the least. You're not paying my bills.

Flag this comment

J         May 24th, 2010 11:44 am ET

@ I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It:

Are you that retarded? All of those questions you're refering to was already answered. A great show like Lost isn't going waste it's season finale recapping "mysteries" that were answered 3 seasons ago. Watch the show again and understand the plot, or shut the hell up.

Flag this comment

My understanding         May 24th, 2010 11:44 am ET

My understanding of the show:

The island was purgatory. It was not a spiritual purgatory, but a physical purgatory. These people were spared their (physical bodies) lives on a DEADLY plane crash because they had unresolved issues to deal with before their death. The polar bears, black smoke, etc. were there as a part of their journey to resolve their issues. I don’t think your average island of catching fish and treating bug bites would have been as effective in helping them resolve their issues. Once their issues were resolved, then they physically died, met together spiritually, and moved on to a better place.

Flag this comment

Billy         May 24th, 2010 11:44 am ET

Well, kinda reminded me of the final "Battlestar Galactica" show. Seems the writers couldn't get there so they filled in all the gaps with "God" ...

I was very disappointed. Will NEVER AGAIN get caught up in a series as I did with LOST. I've learned my lesson. I still have tons of questions that will never be answered. Can you say "frustration!!!"

Flag this comment

Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:12:12 pm »

Wow         May 24th, 2010 11:44 am ET

If the ending was so GREAT...and everything was explained...then why are most of you people INTERPRETING the meaning and ending?
IT SUCKED PERIOD.
What happened to Walt, the minister, the pilot, the cop chick and some of the other characters? No answers....and how in world did the ISLAND get there in the first place...
Disappointed to say the least...

Flag this comment

Roberto Gallstone         May 24th, 2010 11:45 am ET

If the island wasn't purgatory or a self created place to work out their demons before moving on, but was in fact real.... that means the insane things that happened there were real and needed to be explained better. First one being: how could all those people have survived such a horrible plane crash in the first place? that's what made me think they were already dead when the story began. The tail section broke off and hit the island far away from the front section! There would have been few if any survivors of that. Then from there you can add the electromagnetic junk and the others and darma guys and time travel and giant egyptian statues and nuclear explosions that they survived and smoke monsters... Some of that was answered in weak ways, but it is all too far fetched for me to be able to say the island was obviously real. The sideways world felt much more real even though that's the one area we actually KNOW wasn't.

Flag this comment

Bulloch         May 24th, 2010 11:45 am ET

Overall, I was pleased with the ending, although I agree the writers bit off a little more than they could chew with all the little questions they could never possibly answer.
The thing I can't figure out, if the island was real and not part of limbo, then what was the whole thing about? It seems like they answered the Flash-sideways stories by explaining it was part of the moving-on process but that still doesn't tell us anything about the island or why they were brought there in the first place.
Unfortunately, these are questions I will never have answered, so I, much like the cast of LOST, must learn to "Let go" of them and to "Move on"...

Flag this comment

K         May 24th, 2010 11:46 am ET

People keep saying things weren't answered, but clearly you weren't paying attention when they were.
polar bears: left over from experiments on the island that were conducted through Dharma, remember the cage with the biscuits that sawyer was locked in?
Dharma: a research group placed on the island to try to better understand the electro-magnetic abilities of the island.
numbers: they all related to the numbered "List" that Jacob had of candidates to replace him.
smoke monster: this is what the man-in-black became after he went into the light source on the island.

Flag this comment

suck it, questions!         May 24th, 2010 11:47 am ET

@Jessica "And if the alternate timeline isn't real, how are they able to choose to continue to exist in it- Daniel and Charlotte, Ben, and the other survivors who "aren't ready"?

They wouldn't be CHOOSING to exist in it, but they DO exist in it precisely BECAUSE they 'aren't ready'.

Flag this comment

The Pickle         May 24th, 2010 11:47 am ET

So they all died in the original plane crash? All this drama occured in a shared purgatory?What about all the stuff with outsiders(i.e. Whitmore?) And the flash sideways was what exactly? I enjoyed the series but a sensible ending was probably impossible with so many storylines.

Flag this comment

NachoKingP         May 24th, 2010 11:47 am ET

Everyone who complains that the show didn't answer questions ___________ and ____________ don't understand that the show doesn't have to answer all the questions, some things are just better off left to the imagination. Have some intellectual debate, talk with your friends, flesh out what you all think really happened, but realize that by doing that, that's exactly what Darlton WANT you to do, and that's a good thing. The finale didn't answer all the questions, but it did tie up the stories of nearly all of the characters from the series, and that's what the show needed to do. Could you imagine the backlash there would be if they answered all the questions but didn't give Ben or Locke or Jack some closure at the end of the show? That would've been the greater sin in my opinion.

Flag this comment

LR         May 24th, 2010 11:48 am ET

The last scene brought to mind "Amazing Grace." "I once was Lost, but now am found. Was blind but now I see."

Flag this comment

sealchan         May 24th, 2010 11:48 am ET

Although this series constantly posed questions that begged for answers, the ones that don't get answered are not so important as the ones that did. And maybe questions were answered but left more less important questions that if answered would only digress from the point of the whole series.

If you think the finale failed because of its lack of answers then you can sit outside the church with Ben. The rest of us will be inside and moving on...

Flag this comment

DharmaRules         May 24th, 2010 11:48 am ET

From reading comments here, and around the net, I feel like the people who liked the finale are the kind of people that can see the big picture. And those that didn't, are stuck on the hurley bird, and dharma food drops. Sure I would have loved to have everything tied up neatly, but it has not stopped me from enjoying the show, and the finale one bit. And in fact they did answer a great number of the lingering mysteries. People keep bringing up Walt (and I would have liked to see him again too..) and why he was special. well he was born special! Do we question how Hurley can talk to the Dead? Or miles can know what they felt, or thought as they died? We never got any explanation on HOW they can do that. Walt was psychic somehow. His story was cut short because the actor looked 18 when he should have been 10. I would have rather they recast, but hey thats just me..

To me, the finale was amazing. Not quite as amazing as when we found out about the hatches, and Dharma orientation videos, which I think was the coolest thing ever on tv, but for the ending to a show as great as Lost has been, it was very satisfying.

Flag this comment

Mighty Rontor         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

If you're wondering why Eko wasn't there, it's because he got his happy ending being with his brother as a kid. He had already moved on.

I just want to say that I LOVED the Target commercials!

Flag this comment

Patrick         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

Um. Ok... to anyone that didn't understand Dharma, or The Polar Bears, or the numbers. You obviously didn't watch the show at all. Because all of those were answered in Seasons 2 and 3. Dharma was a hippy science organization. The bears were there for research, because of Dharma. Hence the bear cages that Sawyer and Kate were in (duh). The only question that I'm left with, honestly.... is what happened at the end. Obviously we know what happened to those in the church. However the plane took off, what happened to those people? That's my only confusion.

Flag this comment

DML         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

trying to straiten everything out: The island was real life, and as everyone died at their own time, they went to the sideways world (purgatory). They stayed there until they were ready to let go, at which time they went to the afterlife?

Or, did they all die in the plane crash (which is why they showed the palne wreckage and no one around) and the island was pergatory. but then what does that make the sideways?

Flag this comment

junk         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

@K – see, you're just writing off some of the answers...

Dharma – we know who they were, but they were pivotal and just dropped from the plot..whatever happened to them? THAT wasn't answered....
Black Smoke – yes, we know it was Jacob's brother, but how'd he become smoke?

Flag this comment

glenn         May 24th, 2010 11:49 am ET

I don't get it.
Does it mean everyone was already dead on the island?
They were able to go away from the island, some went back to their families. Was it all an illusion?

Flag this comment

patolics         May 24th, 2010 11:50 am ET

In my opinion it's clear that they died in the crash. The last scene of Jack dying with Vicent by his side is exactly the first scene of the premiere of Lost, season 1. They all went through that kind of purgatory, to realize in the end they died when the plane crashed in the island

Flag this comment

dkm         May 24th, 2010 11:50 am ET

well it ended as confusing as it began but I guess there are no clear answers in what religious cults call purgatory...I was just very disappointed it used religious propaganda to end the show... more mindless dribble!

Flag this comment

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It         May 24th, 2010 11:50 am ET

Lost-Fanatics are so easy to irritate. They have no life.

Flag this comment

MCW         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

The "sideways" world was not made up, in fact it was a flash forward view of purgatory/limbo. Everything that happened on the island was real, and in a spiritual sense, purgatory/limbo was real as well.

Flag this comment

Al         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

@Kelly – I didn't get that the plane crashed at the foot of the statue at all. Did I miss something? When Kate finally saw Jack again she said, "I've missed you so much." To me, that means that she went home and helped raise Aaron and lived a long time without him.

Am I wrong?

Flag this comment

LT         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

Why do some people think they died in the original crash? The island was the reality, the flash sideways was not. Jack's father said that "some died before you, some died after" and "there is no now here", so for all we know, Hurley and Ben were the island protectors for centuries, just as Jacob and Richard were. Those who escaped on the plane went back to live out their lives and died in their own time.

I'm perplexed that Richard and few others were not in the final scene, though.

Flag this comment

Disappointed         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

I was disappointed. Atthe beginning of the season, my husband and I mapped out this ending and said we hoped they didn't cop out and do something so predictable. Unfortunately it was just that... Joseph Campbell would be so proud that his theory about epic stories still hold true.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

@junk "Dharma – we know who they were, but they were pivotal and just dropped from the plot..whatever happened to them? THAT wasn't answered...."

Yes it was, a couple of seasons ago... Ben and "The Others" gassed them to death!

Flag this comment

Christian         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

@Kelly

I was pretty curious about your comment and just had to see for myself. I just re-watched the last couple of shots on Hulu. If you look at the wreckage, the paint job is clearly that of the Oceanic and not Ajira. Also, I didnt see the statue at all; just a large piece of wreckage that could perhaps resembles the statue base to you?

Flag this comment

Aaron         May 24th, 2010 11:51 am ET

notice most of the dummies saying "i knew they were dead all along" were not real fans of the show. those that were fans and watched every episode. if you really beleive they were dead all along... sorry, you are dense and were never paying close enough attention.

everything that happened on the island was real. the creators have always said so.

Flag this comment

BigAl         May 24th, 2010 11:52 am ET

i guess, regardless if you loved or hated the ending, it was an interesting show that made you think.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:52 am ET

@LT "I'm perplexed that Richard and few others were not in the final scene, though."

They haven't "let go" yet.

Flag this comment

Magic Kenny         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

OK – here's the thing: the writers, throughout the series run, obviously bit off a bit more than they could chew. DON'T

Flag this comment

KELLY         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

Thanks "lostfan" you're right no statue but I didn notice a lot of footprints, so I guess it's like someone else said it was just showing the original crash and they did survive that. I did like the idea of the last plane crashing and killing them. I know it sounds morbid but at least we would've known what happened to them for sure. I still loved it.

Flag this comment

Rose         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

Melissa May 24th, 2010 11:04 am ET

To those wondering about the "is the island purgatory?" issue, here's my take. Everything that happened on the island was absolutely real. Whatever happened, happened.

The Flash-Sideways was purgatory, where the characters went once they passed, but before they could "move on." For me, the key to this is what Locke says to Jack after surgery: "You don't have a son." Jack's son was created in his purgatory, in order to deal with his relationship with his own father. He needed to get past that before he could move on. All the other characters (in the church) weren't ready to move on until they remembered/realized the connections from their past life (the island). Additionally, Hurley says to Ben outside the church "You WERE a great Number 2." The island happened. Hurley was ready to move on. Ben wasn't (I'm just going to assume he's waiting for Alex to be ready, and will move on with her).

The plane wreckage at the end was the Oceanic wreckage. It was to remind us how far we've come. I like to think the Ajira crew escaped.

Again, this is just my interpretation. I've certainly been wrong before. It wouldn't be LOST if there weren't something left to discuss/debate!

That's the way I had interpreted it, too.
It explains Penny being in the church. She died although whether that before Desmond or after is unknown.

I think that the plane Jack before the end saw fly over was the one carrying Claire and the other survivors.

I'm curious about the sneaker hanging from the tree, the one Jack stumbled past...

Also, the one question that I didn't get an answer to (maybe I missed it) was what happened to the children the Others kidnapped at the start of the series?!?

& Did anyone else expect an appearance by Mr Eko when they saw the church? or a 'guest appearance' by Tom?

Flag this comment

patolics         May 24th, 2010 11:53 am ET

@glenn...i think so, it's kind'a that idea when you die, you realize what you've done in life, and see it backwards, the good and the bad, like a judgement. The future they saw, in my opinion, was because they couldn't realize that they were dead, they wouldn't accept it

Flag this comment

Roberto Gallstone         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

I like how people are saying: they already answered everything see? Like... the smoke monster. That was just Jacobs brother that got pushed into the light and he became a smoke monster. See how easy that is? That still doesn't explain why the blankety blank he would become a smoke monster or what a smoke monster is!!!

Flag this comment

Travis         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

For those that complain they wasted their time with the finale or even the entire 6 seasons because it didn't answer all your questions – I ask you "who can accurately answer what happens when you die?" There is no accurate answer because all of us who watched the show havent died yet. How do you expect television writers to wrap up afterlife in a little bow and hand you the answers. They don't know. What they did was use their imaginations to take viewers on a journey that they created based upon their theories and immaginations.

I agree with those that stated its the journey not the end that is important. People need quick answers to everything these days. Why not just let your immaginations go and simply.....wonder.

I think the goal the writers aimed for was only to sparking the viewers immagination of the afterlife not explaining what happens when you die.

Flag this comment

DanLang85         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

Obviously a lot of people did not get this ending.... THEY DID NOT DIE IN THE FIRST CRASH! The whole idea behind god is that time is not of importance. Everyone died at different times and then met at this church when they died because of their shared experience of redemption on the Island. This is evident when Hurley told Ben that they he had been a good No. 2. Ben did not enter the Church because of the pain and misery that he had put so many of them in. He belonged outside the Church because he had done many good things for the Island but he was ultimatley evil. The Island was everyone in the Church's salvation. Whether they lived beyond their experience on the Island or died while they are on the Island.

Flag this comment

The L         May 24th, 2010 11:54 am ET

There's already further proof that this concept doesn't work. Flash Forward is already cancelled after ONE season. Thank God too, because I'm sure they would have had a crappy ending as well seeing as how it's the same creators as LOST. Everyone who wants a repeat of lost is above in these comments and that's not enough people to sustain another show like this.

Flag this comment

allenvh         May 24th, 2010 11:55 am ET

Was the plane wreck at the end the first crash from season 1 or the plane that took off at the end of the season finale? Anyone?

Flag this comment

carrie         May 24th, 2010 11:55 am ET

so glad this piece of crap is finally over!

Flag this comment

GJ         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

I don't make others wrong for liking, not liking, hating or even loving the ending. Its just viewpoints and opinions. I didn't like the ending particularly because I've seen it before."Places In the Heart" with Sally Field, John Malkovich and Danny Glover – they all end up with everyone they loved in a church in heaven. Not an original finish for the writers and producers of the show. Also, not very imaginative to leave it all up to our own interpretations. The show abandoned what made it great in the first two seasons.

Flag this comment

Palan         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

I'm amazed/disappointed by the many people (including some tv critics) who couldn't even understand the stuff that the finale explained plainly–

No, they did NOT die in the plane crash. Sideways world was the "waiting place," the place that they made together so they could find each other. They all arrived there when they died, but since "there is no now" there, they could die at different times and arrive there together (hence Hurley and Ben plainly congratulating each other on their tenure as island guardians).

The finale was pretty damn good– not the Best Thing Ever Ever, but pretty damn good. What's discouraging is the great amount of audience that is apparently not bright enough to follow even the elements that the writers spelled out.

Somehow this show has restored my faith in the intelligence of television while destroying my faith in the brains of its audience.

Flag this comment

Tony         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

Everyone in the final scene were only the people that were on the original flight, right?? Another reason why Ben didn't go into the church? Were Micheal or Walt in the final scene?

Flag this comment

Rachel         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

The footage at the end is of the original crash, it's just set pieces and doesn't involve the story. Ben Linus is going to wait to "let go" when Alex and Rousseau "let go". The other people in Lost who were not at the church are still waiting, perhaps Ben will help round them up. Sideways world was sort of a Purgatory where you gathered those you needed around you to help you realize you had died. Some people died before Jack did (Libby, Boone, Shannon, etc.) and some were to die after (Hurley – was the island's protector for an undisclosed amount of time, the people who got out on the plane and Desmond and Penny.) Hurley's number two man while he was in charge of the island was Ben, and Hurley obviously didn't work the same as Jacob and let people leave the island (Desmond). The source of the island's power is not all that relevant. It had strange power, and needed to be protected but the protectors could make up their own rules for it. Perhaps Hurley would allow more people to live there and not be as harsh as Jacob or his mother. I'm relieved that the time on the island was real and I am completely comfortable with the explaination of the sideways world. It is altogether possible that Hurley's unique abilities (speaking with the dead) will allow him to assist the souls trapped on the island (the whispers) in moving on as well.

Flag this comment

LostFan         May 24th, 2010 11:56 am ET

@The L, FlashForward is not from the same creators as LOST.

Flag this comment

Nicole         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

Loved it? Hated it? It doesn't matter which way you feel. What is undeniable is this was an epic show with an ending that fit. Those who mock the show would probably wish for a similar ending such as SATC, Friends, ER, NYPD, Gilligan's, or MASH. I loved it and am so glad it didn't end like the Sopranos.

Flag this comment

Andy         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

I thought the grace and love the characters experience through their relationships with one another is beautiful and underscores at least my own inability to make sense of our own world yet find a shared peace with others. I was very satisfied, especially with Jack, because they all, except Ben, were released from deep pain. It was beautiful. btw, I am not naive, I've tried making it alone, it is only suffering.

Flag this comment

You'll never get the answers..         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

To those who feel the writers needed to answer every question that you or they asked; get used to it. When you are lying on your death bed – you'll have questions that will go answered. It's part of life. I applaud the writers for a spectacular finale.

Flag this comment

MCW         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

Melissa nailed it!

Flag this comment

lost fan         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

After reading these posts it sounds like there are a lot of clueless people out there. Unbelievable.

There is no purgatory in the story!!! Why cant you people just "LET GO" of that idea.

The sideways timeline happened because the island was underwater when oceanic 815 flew over. The h-bomb put it there. Thats all there is to know about it.

The losties that had traveled back in time were propelled to their proper place in 2007.

Ben and his father were on the island when the bomb went off. How did they get off the island? Who knows? I don't care because its not important to understanding the characters. They cant answer every question we have and they shouldn't. If they did that would be a appointment.

Do you people really need everything to be spelled out for you?

Flag this comment

Erin         May 24th, 2010 11:57 am ET

Wow I didn't get that at all from the credit scenes. I didn't even take into account it was the "wreckage" at all. I thought it was just the set. I got that it was a final goodbye to the set. The footprints were from actors and crew. I never once tied it to the story. It was just a scene shot out of respect for the fans and the show.

Flag this comment

Dr. Bombay         May 24th, 2010 11:58 am ET

this was all about Jack...and how, at the end, he laid down next to the dog, and you all know what dog spells backwards.

Every black screen before the numerous commercials reminded me of the soprano ending.

Flag this comment

Captain Relativity         May 24th, 2010 11:58 am ET

The recap leading up to the final episode, along with the commentary from the writers, really helped to clarify the entire series quite nicely. I'm glad they did that.

I enjoyed the final episode and it did seem to hold together fairly well, tying up most of the loose ends. Once everyone, except Ben (appropriately enough), had been gathered together in the church, I got the distinct impression that what I was supposed to be seeing was an allegorical representation of "Heaven", or at least heaven's waiting room, where everybody (particularly those who have shuffled off their mortal coils) lives happily ever after, amen.

The religious overtones of the final scene where the doors are opened and the brilliantly bright light of 'Heavenly Glory' washes over everyone seemed to me to be unmistakable. Then again, I'm an atheist, so perhaps I'm reading more into this than was intended by the writers.

Anybody else get this sense of overt religiosity at the end, or is it just me?

Flag this comment

Think         May 24th, 2010 11:58 am ET

Those of you who think they were dead from the initial plane crash think about it. Charlie, Sayid, Sun & Jin etc. all died at the island. You don't die twice. The island was everyone's spiritual reality (sub-conscience)where darkness battled the light . The initial crash happened so that they could find out who they really are. All of the sideways and flashbacks/forwards etc. was an imagination of their conscience selves in other words a conscience representation of the battles they faced in the spiritual sub-concious realm represented by their existence on the island where they ultimately found and preserved the light which was the source of all life. In the end darkness was defeated and the souls of everyone who was ready crossed over to the light. The imagination of ones self was in effect a means to an end and presented a way to remember and connect with the spiritual subconscious so that the soul progresses to a higher realm where light reigns and time is infinite.

Flag this comment

Amy         May 24th, 2010 11:59 am ET

I was disappointed that some of the major series issues were left unexplained. The finale seemed to conclude season 6, but not the season as a whole. Specifically, the issues with childbirth on the island and the time devoted to time travel, which I personally thought WAS really original and interesting. I did like the emotional reunions, but certainly would have preferred if they ended up in the parallel universe and not actually dead!

After some thought, I am wondering if the childbirth issue is in some way related to Jacob/MIB being born and their mother being killed. I feel like that is related but I cannot figure out why. thoughts?

Flag this comment

Frank in Pensacola, FL         May 24th, 2010 11:59 am ET

Well, I've been telling my friends and family for about 3+ years that the answers at the end would point toward some version of the afterlife. Since it wasn't quite bad enough to be hell, and people seemed to have free will, I opted for Purgatory. Not quite the "it was a dream" ending for WhoShotJR, but close. Lotsa clues based what was on people's minds prior to the crash, and afterwards.

For the last year I've been saying that the final episode would leave most of it open-ended. Otherwise, there'd be too much hate-mail, too many people bereft of water-cooler discussion and blog opps. So, for 6 years we've been following the 'relations' of all the people who died in the crash of Oceanic 815 as they attempted to resolve their individual needs/flaws/soul wounds. Along the way the bump into other flawed souls and spin yet more variations of reality as they attempt to make sense of it all and find redemption. All the time-travel, all the flash-whatsit-ways, all the confusing mystery, all the allegorical mumbo-jumbo, can be explained by it being a different person's context or point of view in Purgatory. Some, for example, couldn't leave for having accidentally murdered someone.

Sure, there are inconsistencies (why is Jack allowed to leave when he kills FLocke?), but many things can be explained now. Not rationally, mind you – the creative license of ANYTHING being explained by the imagination and soul needs of one of the characters as they died (or after they died and their soul was in Purgatory) is pretty broad. Polar bears, for example, are explained by the comic book...the rest of the stuff about Dharma, etc. is just the woven fabric of the collective souls attempting to make sense of it all while they struggled for redemption and "letting go".

I distinctly recall the writers saying long ago that hell, purgatory, and limbo weren't the answers. Who can blame them for not revealing their mechanism for the creative license. But, still, it was just a smoke screen (hah!) to allow them to keep milking this cash cow.

Great storytelling. Great characters. Great film making. Great relationships and interactions. But, a somewhat less than satisfactory ending that will nonetheless generate many more opportunities to milk the story for reruns, t-shirts, plus geegaws and gimcracks of all sorts.

Flag this comment

RodbfronNC         May 24th, 2010 11:59 am ET

So what was this about? and where was the volleyball. Was Tom hanks on the same island? And why did Dr. Morneau have a lab on the island and did not invite them for dinner? and were they REALLY in purgatory or was it the long way to Heaven? And where was Bob Newhart? and was it dream from Dallas...and finally, WHO CARES?
Report Spam   Logged
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »

CAM         May 24th, 2010 12:00 pm ET

Surprised by how many people are missing so much despite being told so much here by the comments of others and in last night's finale. As Christian told Jack, everything we saw on the island really did happen.
In the end, Jack sacrificed himself for others. (The man of science becomes a man of faith.) Jack died knowing that the plane with Lapidus, Miles, Richard, Kate, Claire and Sawyer left the island and that the island was in very good hands. Hurley was the heart of the show and most of us loved him, and he was left to protect the heart of the island along with a redeemed Ben.

Some of those at the church died before Jack, some a long time after. (Christian says this even.) They are together again now because of the journey they took together and because of how they needed each other. We don't how much time it has taken to get this core group back together, but we can assume since Hurley is there, it has been a long while. And Penny was part of Desmond's journey and his constant. We can even guess since we are told Hurley can make his own rules, that perhaps Desmond got off the island and back to Penny and they lived a good life together.

Someone pointed out that there are those who went with the story and loved the journey and the people. They are probably pretty satisfied. Those who wanted every answer spelled out and a "believable" ending, probably aren't.

Redemption, love, forgiveness, faith– not bad at all...

Flag this comment

The island wasn't purgatory         May 24th, 2010 12:00 pm ET

I think that some of you might be reading the article wrong regarding Desmond "being aware of purgatory on the island". I think the author meant it to be read as "being the only one on the island aware of (sideways) purgatory". This was explained in the finale as being the case. The island was real.

Flag this comment

Michael         May 24th, 2010 12:01 pm ET

I'm curious about the sneaker hanging from the tree, the one Jack stumbled past...

Flag this comment

Michael         May 24th, 2010 12:01 pm ET

If memory serves, the shoe was an homage to the pilot. You see it as a part of the original "wreckage".

Flag this comment

John         May 24th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

Right on with it being about the journey:

Here are my thoughts after the finale:
http://tinyurl.com/2c5l8vp

Flag this comment

lostie         May 24th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

also...reading about the commercial above...
i absolutley LOVED the target-lost commercials! they were classic!

Flag this comment

alcato         May 24th, 2010 12:04 pm ET

Those of you who still feel let down because some of your questions were unanswered you either missed a few episodes ( like those still wondering about polar bears and the meaning of the numbers) or you did not get the true meaning of the show; it is about the journey, it is about coming to terms with what is important in life and moving on. It is very clear that the island experience was real, Jack's father tells him some of them had died before him and others after.

My interpretation was that Sawyer, Kate, Claire, etc did get of the island and lived full lives and died years after Jack, Kate tells him she missed him so much.

The wreckage of the plane was Oceanic, I think the meaning of the last shot of the wreckage on the beach was meant for the audience to ponder at the place where they all connected, the place where the relationships evolved which is how we cared abut the characters. It was not meant for us to think they all died at the crash.

I did not like Sayid ending up with Shannon. And I would have loved to see a Des & Penny reunion. The other couples' meetings were great and very emotional and I was disappointed that Des & Penny only had a quick shot at the church, that was my favorite couple.
Brilliant acting, congratulations to all involved, in a time of dumbed- down tv this was truly one for the books.

Absolutely loved the last scene of Jack and Vincent. Jack closing his eyes, dying. Same sequence as the beginning shot of the series. Full circle.

It was always about the journey and the love we take with us when we "move on".

Flag this comment

DanLang85         May 24th, 2010 12:04 pm ET

People are soo stupid..........The wreckage at the end had nothig to do with the story whatsover!!!!!!!! It was just a goodbye moment to the original set! How is this so hard to understand?Huh? haha

Flag this comment

Fred Boge         May 24th, 2010 12:04 pm ET

I detected a slight C.S. Lewis influence: The Great Divorce

Flag this comment

Andrew         May 24th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It – Are you simply one of those people who don't pay attention while watching the show? The Polar bear was explained as being brought to the island by Dharma in a season 3 episode, and the Smoke Monster was revealed and explained in season 6. Pay attention!

Flag this comment

Matt         May 24th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

Laura R. is the only person on this board that actually got it. Good job, it was a good story. I loved the religious ending, whichever one you choose, the afterlife with those we loved along the way...what better way can you ask to go? The ending was perfect.

Flag this comment

Tina         May 24th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
To the writers, producers, directors, actors and everyone else involved with this TV event. I was original, thought-provoking, and beautiful. This show will be talked about for years to come. You have set a higher standard in quality entertainment with a capital "E". Unfortunately it's back to the cop, hospital, and "reality" shows that have become the norm.

Flag this comment

lost fan         May 24th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

The wreckage was like a memorial to the show. Thats all folks

Flag this comment

Jeff         May 24th, 2010 12:08 pm ET

We've been duped, and I was never that emotionally invested in the show to deny it now. Put a lot of extraneous subplots in the show (chief among them...Jacob and MIB) and raise a lot of questions, to play on our sense of wonder, and then don't answer much of anything. Instead, leave it to the audience to interpret, as people inevitably do when given nothing. Simple, rather than genius, storytelling. The writers have proven themselves to be snake-oil salesmen.

Flag this comment

gladerunner         May 24th, 2010 12:08 pm ET

seems like a 50/50 split who liked it and who not liked it

Flag this comment

Damaris         May 24th, 2010 12:08 pm ET

None of them EVER left the island. If you all note at the very end when they were in the church, Aaron was there as an infant. Desmond and Penny's child was not there.. hence he was never born. Jack and Juliet's son was not there... he was never born. Sun and Jin's daughter was not there. They all died on the island.

I absolutely loved this show. The ending was closure for them and and for me... Great writing and creativity at its best. What other show allows you to use your own imagination and run with it?

Flag this comment

Jayne Ann         May 24th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

I can answer one question. The shoe hanging in the tree/bamboo. In the pilot episodes 1 & 2, a new looking sneaker was hanging there as Jack walked past it. In the final, it was aged as it hung there thru their entire stay on the island.

As for the other unexplained, that's life as we know it.... or we missed the clues!

My guess on the "no children borne alive/mothers survived" on the island resulted from the eletromagnetic properties of the island.

Flag this comment

Vader         May 24th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

Almost as good as the flash forward year. I give it credit. But the rest of the show is annoying. You got no answers. And it is annoying to hear all these Lost people today talking like a cult member. “Man it is what it is, its the island man”...no dumb a#@% it is bad writing. And you cant have a series finale and have a bunch of flashbacks and say that is tying everything together. What is even more annoying now is trying to piece things together. Why did I have to see Sayid die in a temple earlier this year? And Losties will tell you this really long explanation that might in fact answer my question and at the end of it they have redescribed the entire season, but I don’t care at this point. It is like talking about the politics of the Trade Federation in the Star Wars prequels. Who really cares! I like people who dress in white clothes and don’t like people who dress in black! Writers GO! Why does it have to be soooooo confusing now days? Every movie and show seem to be really bad James Bond movies where you stay up at night wondering how James Bond ended up getting double crossed and sleeping with his bosses mothers aunt whom he robbed in the opening scene....

I thought I was solving a riddle, and instead I was watching a TV show. I Lose.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum