Atlantis Arisen
April 19, 2024, 09:39:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Vatican is looking for more exorcists to fight the growing interest in Satanism.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/02/04/vinci.vatican.exorcist.cnn

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Lost Season Finale

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Season Finale  (Read 294 times)
Zodiac
Atlantean

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:09:44 pm »

seriously         May 24th, 2010 11:25 am ET

I never comment on blogs but.....

LOST is an awesome show. For everyone who wants to dissect the show into the afterlife, remember it's a tv show! The article's author is right....the importance of the show was in the journey, not the ultimate outcome.

The show was entertaining. It fulfilled it's purpose. Move on!

Flag this comment

Tood         May 24th, 2010 11:26 am ET

@ Purgatory: I thought the article said the opposite...that the 'alternate reality' was similar to purgatory and that the island was reality.

Great finale! I'll miss this show.

Flag this comment

RW         May 24th, 2010 11:26 am ET

I for one will NEVER forget that scene with Sawyer and Juliette. It was an absolute tear jerker. Unfortunately for me, I'm not that spiritual a person and didn't want them all to be dead. These characters have been a big part of my life for the last 6 years. Question: why didn't Ben go into the Church? And if Vincent was still on the island (bless his doggie heart), what happened to Walt? I know that I've missed some of the episodes (that's why I now have the DVDs and will start watching again from the very beginning).

Flag this comment

NowIHateLost         May 24th, 2010 11:26 am ET

What a wasteful 2.5 hours and yawned most of the time? I was a big fan up until now. Unfortunately, the finale was a huge disappoint. It seemed like one long crying brigade. Jack crying, Kate crying, Hurley crying, Jack saying "See you in another life brather." Seriously, that line was used too many times. Anyway... Once again, a huge successful show with a lame finale (hint hint Sopranoes). Only Season 1 and 2 will be most appreciated seasons.

Flag this comment

Chris         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

"It didn't answer ANY questions of the island (polar bears"

The polar bears came from the zoo that they showed 3 or 4 seasons ago, moron!

Flag this comment

BigAl         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

patty, i saw one poster say they thought the producers put that in there just to show the set, nothing more.

Flag this comment

Bodhi         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

So, did everyone die in the initial plane crash and the entire island experience was a pseudo purgatory? Or was the island real and they all died at some point on the island and they all met in the church once everyone had died?

Flag this comment

I miss Walt         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

I'm satisfied with the finale. I get it, it makes sense to me, I'm still up in the air about it, but that's neither here nor there.

Did anyone else get annoyed that Walt wasn't in the finale? They built him up as this "special boy" (who I thought would turn out to be the MiB because Mother kept calling him a "special boy"!) who has "special powers" and really understood the island, yet he never came back! And he didn't come back because he grew!? (Harold Perineau said so on Jimmy Kimmel's show afterwards). Lost made enough money that they could've shrunk Walt a la Peter Jackson's special fx in Lord of the Rings. I grew to like Walt and became interested in him, and every season my interest in him kept growing because he was never in it! Then when he stood over Locke, drenched in water, after Ben shot him in the Dharma grave, I didn't know what to think and hoped he'd be back! Sadly... no...

Flag this comment

Kate         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

Perfect ending!!! I think any other way I would have been left wondering what happened to this person or that person. I'm not, awesome show and I actually sad it is over..

Flag this comment

Mark         May 24th, 2010 11:27 am ET

OK, they did not explain the smoke monster. The guy went down the falls, his BODY and the smoke monster came out. So you are saying he died and somehow also became the smoke monster? How come nobody else who went down there became smoke monsters...there were a bunch of skeletons when Desmond walked to the pool of light, did they become smoke monsters? That's another thing, he went down the falls, but he would've had to get up and go to the pool to get to the light. Desmond didn't become a smoke monster, neither did Jack. CASE CLOSED, NO SMOKE MONSTER EXPLANATION. TERRIBLE FINALE.

Flag this comment

Karen         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

Can't stop thinking about the finale. Thumbs UP for a Sawyer and Miles spin off!

Flag this comment

RodbfronNC         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

Told you it was aliens! Thank God this unfollowable pseudo soap opera crap is off the air. I could not follow it and my son with a 187 IQ could not either. Thank God for sports and On Demand!

Flag this comment

LD         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

Laura R. is the only person who seems to really "get" the show and the ending if you look at the big picture and stop worrying about niggling little details. The big picture seems to be all about Jack. It began with his eyes opening, ended with his eyes again. So it was ALL about Jack, his crash, his journey, the relationships, his death.

His father even said at the end some were dead, some not yet, but it didn't matter who was dead or not. Jack was looking back through his life, cherishing people he had known, appreciating the relationships and seeing that THAT was what was important before he could move on with his life. I'll bet that not everyone would have gone through the light with him. And if wasn't really THEM going through the light, it was his idea of them going with him, him taking them with him into his after life or whatever you would call it.

So the plane crash DID have survivors, the island and the time they spent there were real. Some died, some lived after Jack died, but in his mind, during his journey, they were there for him at the end bringing him to the point where he could move on.

I think the other scenes that were not Jack-related, like Sun and Jin seeing their daughter's sonogram, were for us to see what maybe THEIR ending would be like, how THEY would be able to move on, like Jack. I think the final 6 that left the island in the smaller plane DID survive, but that it would show their endings, who they would want in purgatory with them before they could move on. Sawyer wouldn't be able to move on until he reunited with Juliette, and so on. And maybe those scenes were even what Jack would have wanted for his friends, how Jack would have pictured their searches ending. He would have wanted Sawyer and Juliette to find each other before they moved on, since they were so in love on the island before Juliette tragically died.

So the answers are all there, folks, and the story is big and it must be examined in a very broad, overall way. Looking at the big picture, the journey, Jack's journey. I'm sure the implication is that Jack's journey is like everyone else's journey, that everyone might go through a purgatory in this manner, waiting for what they need, who they need, before moving on. I don't think anyone is implying that Jack is unique, but instead that this is the beauty of dying, that you gather around yourself what you need to feel good about moving on.

The "thinkers" out there probably get it, like Laura R. The "non-thinkers" don't. Simple as that.

Flag this comment

Paul         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

To all of the people that "don't get it", you have no ability to ponder the abstract, so just stop trying. I will miss this show and how it makes you think about life, and the ending took me a while to get my mind around, but when I did, makes perfect sense.

Does anyone else think that Ben's "a fewe things to do yet" may include waiting for his "daughter" to be ready?

Flag this comment

Sd123         May 24th, 2010 11:28 am ET

One of the best shows ever!!!

It's been almost 12 hours and people are still thinking and talking about it and will still talk about it for many days to come. As someone mentioned before, the show was about the characters. Just like a great novel, we've come to know and love/hate these characters. Even though there were answers fulfilled and an ending, many things are left to our own imagination. I will miss them all.

Flag this comment

thedude         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

Finale was well acted yes. Am I still a fan of LOST? Yes. However, the whole purgatory storyline was ridiculous. While LOST always had a mystical aspect, that was unnecessary and it was not the right way to end the show. I don't hate lost,, I'm a fan of everything except this side verse storyline. I'm tired of these Sixth Sense type endings. You could've still made the finale about the characters and not done this. To the writers and creators, I'm disappointed in you all.

To take another good show, the re imagined Galactica series with Edward James Olmos had a fitting ending. It went down right. Not LOST. If I ever talk to one of the writers I'll be like, "Dudes, really?"

Flag this comment

Joe         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

Bravo for attempting to put somthing different on TV. I lost interest last year but still kept watching I had to see that end and it there was a hint of Cheese but not to much!

Flag this comment

Bob L.         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It-YOU ARE A MORON!!! We're you really watching the same show?? Everything you mentioned was answered. You are retarded. Maybe the show was a little beyond your scope. You need to put the cork back on the fork & go back to watching Gilligans Island!!

Flag this comment

MK2         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

It was a fun show but they killed the legacy with the end. It will end up being mocked waaaaay more than revered (just watch history prove me right).

one thing is to not clean stuff up or miss some questions (as the audience has invested enough time to come to their own conclusions about those questions left unanswered) but the show gave you no plausibility on many, many things.

As an example, the golden glow and energy (whatever it is) in the middle of the island could have been the electromagnetic nexus of a parallel universe where the smoke monsters come from or where all the combined leprechauns on earth pack and store their pixie dust in between St Patrick’s day.

It could literally be either of those two things or anything else in between.

Maybe they can make a Lost movie called “Lost: the return of the Leprechauns” see…..the mocking has already started…

Flag this comment

chris         May 24th, 2010 11:29 am ET

As frustrating as it was to not see answers to every question, I think that the series was ultimately about the relationships between the characters. For example, the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 were never explained, but in the end it didn't matter. What mattered was that it pitted Jack and Locke against one another, or on a deeper level, faith versus rationality. The evolution of the characters, especially Jack, to what we saw this season was the most important aspect of Lost. Yes, it would have been great to get some more answers, but I think many of the more maddening questions on Lost were simply there to advance the plot towards its ultimate conclusion, which was to realize the inherent good in people, and to call attention to the nobility of many characters' actions when it mattered most.

Flag this comment

Petra         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

I generally enjoyed how Lost ended. Jack dies, but it's to restore balance and save the island. I have a hard time wrestling with the whole "meeting up in the afterlife" flashes because I'm not a religious person.

Flag this comment

Jabroni         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

so you are telling me that a show that makes 66% of its episodes about a subject (the darma initiative) and then just tells its viewers "oh yeah that was just all subplot and doesnt matter a wink in the end, and then tries to pass it off as "its the JOURNEY that matters" is a good show? thats complete B.S. face it, this show jerked us around for 6 years, and not one episode went by without someone saying "come with me and ill tell you everything." WHEN DID THEY TELL US EVERYTHING?

to all those people who cried at the end: you realize they just turned it into a huge chick flick "its the relationships and the love they shared and they FOUND eachother at the end!" thats a gosh darn cop out, and you bought it hook line and sinker. it was a terrible show that they dragged out in slow motion for the last 30 minutes like it was the "reunion show" of some crappy reality TV show like Flavor Flav's.

i agree with I H8 LOST...very shoddy storytelling.

Flag this comment

hasselhoffer         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

It was a very good season finale. Finale is not the best show of the series, far from it. it's a retrospective with an ending – they did a good job. Think seinfeld, m*a*s*h, etc. compare finale to finale. It's very good ending.

Flag this comment

aingeal888         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

The scene in the church where all the characters congregate at the close, all of them dead, is a direct rip-off of Places in the Heart - the old Sally Fields movie. In that movie everyone - the murderer, the one he killed, people you saw get killed in a tornado - even the dog, as here - showed up in a church, and all were laughing, hugging, and singing together. There was NOTHING original about the ending.

Flag this comment

Michael         May 24th, 2010 11:30 am ET

To those who insist that the characters died in the plane crash: I understand your confusion but that's not what happened. Please believe me that the characters lived on the Island. The characters came together in Sideways World following their awakening. For example, Sun and Jin knew they were dead during their awakening. But they were content in the knowledge.

The wreckage scene just accentuated the fact that all but Jack, Hurley, and Ben were gone. There were no other survivors (if Desmond left the island as presumed).

The beauty of Lost, in my opinion, is in the way the writers led us to answers but did not explicitly explain the mysteries.

In the 15 minutes after the finale, I didn't much like it. But as I pieced the story together, I understood.

If you like your story-telling with less complexity, that's you're right. That's not to say you have to be smart to understand Lost. But you must be willing to invest in the understanding.

Just don't expect Lost to fit your need for a lighter fare.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum